• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
wardy18

Hillclimb 205 New Build

wardy18

Hi all

As im sure your all aware i have had to build a new Hillclimb 205 due to reversing mine into a 3ft granite wall at 70mph and making it 3ft shorter.

Many Thanks to Boombang for supplying me an excellent shell fitted with a new cage and fully seam welded and strengthened (saved me months of work).

So here is it, ill add pics from start finish to show the progress and what im doing to it (i dont know about anyone else but i much prefer looking at pictures rather than reading SA's of info and trying to picture whats been done)

Any questions please dont hesitate to ask and any advice or comments are more than welcome.

So here we go:

Sarting with it in the condition from Boombang arriving safely back at my garage

Edited by wardy18

wardy18

So the preperation for spraying begins.

Re-moulding new arches

Shortening the rear arches to fit better

Lightening Doors and Boot Lid

Adding extra bars to roll cage (using the old cage as spares)

Fitting Boot/Bonnet Pins

Repairing gel coat cracks in Fibreglass bonnet and front bumper/valance/splitter

Shortening Battery Tray

Flushing Boot and Rear Qtr Panels

Cutting outer lip from rear inner arches to allow lower ride height and no cutting into my tyres

wardy18

wardy18

wardy18

Now came the horrible task of rubbing down filler work and scotching down ready for primer then wet n dry down the primer and doing any last minute adjustments before the colour is applied. Then all the masking up and degreasing. Overall it took 3 people 2 days to get it all done including the tedius task of changing the yellow in my revolution wheels to white. But as everyone know with any paintwork, preperation is key so patience and perserverance is necessary.

wardy18

Now all the paintwork is done its bit i enjoy, building all the parts from the old shell into the new one but not before a good clean, re-con and re-paint to make everything nice.

You'll see the Rose Joints boots i have fitted to my wishbones, what an ingenius idea they are!!

Ill keep updating pics with the stages i go through

post-11100-1274011531_thumb.jpg

post-11100-1274011543_thumb.jpg

wardy18

post-11100-1274011803_thumb.jpg

post-11100-1274011838_thumb.jpg

qwerty

Lot of quality going into this, looks awesome

cant wait to see the next bits :)

Chris H

Awesome stuff mate.....you've not wasted anytime getting a new shell sorted......looks great....what is the colour?

wardy18

It's Imperial Blue mate, flip tone blue/purple! I'm aiming for the next hillclimb on the 31st May but it's looking more and more outta my reach as the weeks slip by, just so time consuming to clean, re-con and paint everything but I want it done right. After such a big impact everything needs breaking down and checking!

It's an enjoyable rebuild just wish I had more time on my hands

MrG

looking fab, in fact from some angles it looks a little. dare I say it, Chevette HSR or Talbot Sunbeamish.

Not a fan of the stripe, but its a damn fine looking beast. Hope it all goes to plan Wardy.

tezza

post-11100-1274011829_thumb.jpg

how are the dials connected matey? any more pics of this as im after a similar looking dash. thank you

chippy

am jelous :)

wardy18

I'll get some picks of the dials for you, Its hard to explain but what I have done works realy well and will looks great so would recommend it for sure

spark-plug

Bloody hell m8 u dont hang around do u!!!! thats looking awsome given me a few ideas for next year :)

Nickmatthewsrallying

It looks good, did take you long. Have you got a planned date for it to be out again?

Silky

Looks weird seeing it in blue...so used to seeing it orange

tezza

thanks buddy. looks like a brilliant set up

wardy18
It looks good, did take you long. Have you got a planned date for it to be out again?

the plan was for the next hillclimb on the 31st may but there's just too much to do and my engine still isn't finished, I don't ant to rush the build so I'll miss this one and get it properly sorted for the next on 17th July

wardy18
Looks weird seeing it in blue...so used to seeing it orange

I can't say I was a fan of the tango orange, it still appears in the inner arches though so I'll be getting at that with some tetrosyl under coat :0)

oz.

Tango is a legendary colour!

wardy18

Update - (Pics to follow)

Rear beam is now converted to discs and fitted with my 21mm Torsion bars and 24mm ARB (already solid mounted from boombang)

I cut the new rear screen and rear qtr Lexan windows last night and tinted them then fitted them in

Front Lexan windows now fitted back in

Checker plate has been fitted where the passenger seat would go which hols my Fuel cell, Fire Extinguisher and new Elec box.

I have just ordered new connections for my fuel hoses and bought new brake line so that will be the next task. Also had to buy a new OMEX rev limiter and have gone for the one with Launch Control, cant wait to try that out!!

Is starting to look like a racer now, not just a shell :))

tezza

coming along very nicely matey. any pics?

also did you manage to get pics of the dash set up?

wardy18

Yes mate sorry I'll get a load sorted out after work

wardy18

The next lot of pics are of the dash for you Tezza, see what you think and feel free to ask any questions. One pic shows a box that had to be cut behind the new dash to run the speedo cable by the wiper motor and in behind the dash!