• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
wardy18

Hillclimb 205 New Build

welshpug

don't run so low then!!

wardy18

Lowering centre of gravity is key for traction on tarmac so especially important for Hillclimbing

rescue dude
There is a lip in the inner wing which points down towards the wheel and at full chat round the corner with a very low ride height this will slice nicely into my £800 set of slicks!!

Isn't that where the inner wing is welded to the chassis? If so thats unitary construction again.

I'll have a word/look at what other 205 drivers in mod prod have done at Prescott this weekend.

A mate who runs a 205 runs 15 fronts and 13 rears btw. :lol:

tri_longer
A mate who runs a 205 runs 15 fronts and 13 rears btw. :lol:

Make that two of us now!!

I've managed to fit some very nice 7x13 compomotives on the back.

Edited by tri_longer

welshpug
Lowering centre of gravity is key for traction on tarmac so especially important for Hillclimbing

Getting the suspension to work properly is far more important than lowering the centre of gravity, as it has a higher effect on grip than dropping it to the deck, lowering to that extent has many downsides especially with the standard geometry, notably bump steer and lack of suspension travel, which in reality lessens the amount of grip and stability.

wardy18
Getting the suspension to work properly is far more important than lowering the centre of gravity, as it has a higher effect on grip than dropping it to the deck, lowering to that extent has many downsides especially with the standard geometry, notably bump steer and lack of suspension travel, which in reality lessens the amount of grip and stability.

I must admit i didnt check the suspension travel when i lowered to this level last year and then this year in building the new shell i noticed i have all off about 10mm suspension travel until it hits the bump stops, so when i've been hammering it round the corners my suspension has been running on the bump stops and not doing alot at all!!

Still the old shell and engine remains the fastest front wheel drive saloon to ever go up our hillclimb, in its first season with new slicks and this set up too!!

So she does need to be raised, it would be nice if i could raise the mount point within the engine bay in effect lowering the car and then raise the suspension back up to gain travel.

Has anyone ever done this?!

Rasise the top mounting point?!

tri_longer

Someone asked on the forum the other week about fitting their top mounts on top in the bay as opposed to underneath, and i think the general consensus was yes, would this in effect help achieve this for you?

wardy18

I was discussing this with a mate only yesterday but i was a little concerned as it means the forces change with the top mount, instead of you whole top mount pushing underneath the chassis turrot (if thats what you call it) with its whole surface area, bolting it ontop will mean its now pulling on the chassis turrot with only 3 bolt widths and some thick washers!!

However i do have some very hefty plates welded to the top so this should be fine!!

My other concern was does the spring and other gobbins that sit below the top mount clear through the whole with full lock each way on the steering!?

Batfink

I've run coilovers this way on a standard shell and had no problems at all. Doing the same again on the new car..

wardy18

Excellent, ill get straight on it!!

tezza

any updates to this matey?

oli-pug

I've also fitted my eccentric mounts above the strut tops on my track car, standard shell without reinforcements, and had no problems so far even after quite heavy kerb bashing at Oulton the other week!

You could possibly struggle for clearance to the top hat on lock if you have plates welded on top though.

boombang

Looks good mate, very retro - actually more retro than the age of the 205, more Mk1 Fiesta like.

Can't believe how different it looks.