• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Raccoon

Mysterious Squeaking

Raccoon

Posting this here since I'm not sure where it should go :P

Anyway over the past week a strange squeaking noise has started when I'm doing between 10-40mph, it seems to speed up as the car speeds up. I'm not very technical when it comes to cars... for all I know it could be an excited mouse living under the bonnet.

Anyway any ideas as to what it is would be greatly appreciated.

Paul_13

I take it increases with road speed not engine revs?

ashwarrior205
Posting this here since I'm not sure where it should go :P

Anyway over the past week a strange squeaking noise has started when I'm doing between 10-40mph, it seems to speed up as the car speeds up. I'm not very technical when it comes to cars... for all I know it could be an excited mouse living under the bonnet.

Anyway any ideas as to what it is would be greatly appreciated.

It could be your alternator belt on way out or loss of tension in it. its a easy fix 30 mins work and cheap fix

jimistdt

Here's one - check the alternator belt is tight, they can make a racket. How loud is it?

Raccoon
I take it increases with road speed not engine revs?

Yeah it definately increases with the road speed

Here's one - check the alternator belt is tight, they can make a racket. How loud is it?

It pretty loud and pretty high pitched too, turned a few heads on my way home.

jimistdt

Does it go if you turn the heater fans off? :P ^It sounds like your alternator belt, cheap fix <_< If there's no adjustment left or the belt's disintegrating then it's time for a new one, best take the old belt with you to be sure to get the right one.

Edited by jimistdt

Paul_13

Brake pads still there?

Driveshaft bearing fudged?

It doesn't seem to me to be the alternator belt as this would increase with engine revs not road speed.

I'm blessed with sh!t hearing, works wonders with pugs :P

Edited by Paul_13

ashwarrior205
Does it go if you turn the heater fans off? :P

If it stops making a noise with fan of put some silicone grease on fan shaft and should solve problem. A very common fault with 205s and 309s.

Raccoon
Does it go if you turn the heater fans off? :P ^It sounds like your alternator belt, cheap fix <_< If there's no adjustment left or the belt's disintegrating then it's time for a new one, best take the old belt with you to be sure to get the right one.

I've had the fans off all week so it probably isn't that, I'll get my Dad to have a look at the alternator belt tomorrow :(

Raccoon
Brake pads still there?

Driveshaft bearing fudged?

The break pads are practically new and I have no idea what a driveshaft bearing is :P think I'll get the alternator belt checked out first

timb1046

just because brake pads are newish doesnt mean that they cant have gone AWOL. its a 30 second job with a torch just to check that there are 2 pads in each caliper. otherwise you could be wearing down a piston and that'll be costly. does it get worse with anything? cornering, brakeing, harsh acelleraction, coasting, anything at all?

Raccoon
just because brake pads are newish doesnt mean that they cant have gone AWOL. its a 30 second job with a torch just to check that there are 2 pads in each caliper. otherwise you could be wearing down a piston and that'll be costly. does it get worse with anything? cornering, brakeing, harsh acelleraction, coasting, anything at all?

No it's always at the same volume and the same pitch no matter what I'm doing, I'll get it looked at now then report back

Dazza

Racoon, shim the top engine mount rubbers tight to the casting body ...( the 2 little square ones near the cam-belt side)

The exhaust manifold to down pipe will be moving on the doghnut gasket.

Cameron

^^ That only squeaks when you come on / off the throttle. ^^

If it only does it when you're moving, I'd say it wasn't the alternator belt. That would also squeak when you're sitting still. Sounds to me like you might have a wheel bearing or CV joint on it's way out, these quite often squeak when they lose all their grease and dry out. If you really don't know what you're doing then your best bet is to just take it to a garage! Internet mechanics will have you wasting your time and money chasing hundreds of possible causes but a real one will be able to spot it straight away.

Edited by Cameron

Raccoon
^^ That only squeaks when you come on / off the throttle. ^^

If it only does it when you're moving, I'd say it wasn't the alternator belt. That would also squeak when you're sitting still. Sounds to me like you might have a wheel bearing or CV joint on it's way out, these quite often squeak when they lose all their grease and dry out. If you really don't know what you're doing then your best bet is to just take it to a garage! Internet mechanics will have you wasting your time and money chasing hundreds of possible causes but a real one will be able to spot it straight away.

Well I've gotta take it in for its MOT within the next week or so, think I'll ask them to sort it out then.

Cameron

Ask them to give you a quote to fix it, then if it's something easy you can do it yourself.

Paul_13

Don't know if this is possible on your setup (happens on gti6 brakes under 15" 1.9 wheel).

Are there any weights located on the inner circumference/inside of spoke of wheel that could be touching the caliper?

Mate had this problem, it was only touching slightly but caused a squeaking noise.

Looks like you have standard brakes so don't think that would cause you problems, worth checking.

Edited by Paul_13

Raccoon
Don't know if this is possible on your setup (happens on gti6 brakes under 15" 1.9 wheel).

Are there any weights located on the inner circumference/inside of spoke of wheel that could be touching the caliper?

Mate had this problem, it was only touching slightly but caused a squeaking noise.

Looks like you have standard brakes so don't think that would cause you problems, worth checking.

Had the wheel off yesterday, apparently this piston on the brake caliper(?) has siezed so its constantly putting the brakes on a little bit. Think when it goes for its MOT I'm gonna tell them to give it a good look over and fix everything they find. Will probably be a bit costly but I'd rather get everything sorted than have a new problem pop up every week ;) Its times like this that I wish I became a Mechanic instead of a Baker :)

Paul_13

Source the bits off here and do it DIY, you'll get ripped off by the garage.

We'll answer any queries you have, just rather not see someone get ripped off in a garage.

powermandan
Had the wheel off yesterday, apparently this piston on the brake caliper(?) has siezed so its constantly putting the brakes on a little bit. Think when it goes for its MOT I'm gonna tell them to give it a good look over and fix everything they find. Will probably be a bit costly but I'd rather get everything sorted than have a new problem pop up every week :ph34r: Its times like this that I wish I became a Mechanic instead of a Baker :lol:

I have a spare 1.6gti front caliper if that will fit your setup , not sure which side but can check if you want it (£15 delivered)