• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest woodycufc

Gti Clocking

Guest woodycufc

i've been looking at a few pug 1.9 gti and have noticed on a few of them the digits on the odometer dont line up properly.

me thinks they've been clocked am i right?

Edited by woodycufc

Daviewonder

I've got a couple of 205s with 160k on the clock, I very much these have been clocked but the numbers still don't line up properly.

Welcome to the forum :P

Guest woodycufc
I've got a couple of 205s with 160k on the clock, I very much these have been clocked but the numbers still don't line up properly.

Welcome to the forum :P

thanks! did you mean they have NOT been clocked? read what your reply was

cheers

Edited by woodycufc

Daviewonder
I've got a couple of 205s with 160k on the clock, I very much doubt these have been clocked and the numbers still don't line up properly.

Welcome to the forum <_<

Sorry I missed out the most important word :P

Baz

Probably.

Anthony

There are plenty of clocked cars out there, so it pays to be cautious. Badly clocked cars will often have mis-aligned digits or the numbers won't roll over properly, but equally, some clocks aren't straight even though they've never been apart before (as above) so it doesn't automatically mean that it has been clocked.

If it's a particularly low mileage example, if there's not supporting evidence (old MOT's etc) then I would personally assume that it has been clocked and value it accordingly.

Personally, I buy 205's (and indeed cars in general) on condition and not mileage anyway. My two 205's have 160k and 157k on respectively (and the 306 is on 176k for that matter) and all are in far better condition than many examples with less than half that mileage.

davey205

Mine doesn't line up 100% for the first 200 miles or so but I know for a fact it hasn't been clocked.

Veero

Fairly sure mine's not clocked, done 40k in it and they have never lined up properly. Previous MOT's and receipts seemed to tally up, no reason to suspect it had been clocked previously.

SurGie

But any one can do loads of mileage before the next mot then clock it just before its due, so there could be far more cars clocked even with all the previous mot's. Like whats been said previously, look at the cars condition and a better buy would be a car thats had as little previous owners as possible.

Paul_13

My old gti had the stamps all the way up to 84,000 (i think) but clocks were showing 64,000. Hmmm...

roote

ive just got a second hand set of clocks and have removed the speedo to swap for the origional to keep things correct with the car and whilst board i reset to zero, this took me about 10 min's so dont take anything you see on the dash as correct. and i know a family member shamelessly nocked 50k off a two year old car after it had 2 back ends 1 front and a side, and when i last saw the car when it was 15 years old it looked mint, ive never looked at cars the same when you know that it could of passed as a low milage car, especialy when it could of possibly of done 750k

Guest woodycufc

Thanks for all your replys,but i can't see how the numbers that don't line up straight is not clocked as you dont see this on other cars.

Someone mentioned full history all previous MOT's but then before next MOT/service could have been clocked and now numbers dont line up.(makes sence)

Does anyone own a Gti with the numbers in a straight line ?

Thanks

Junosix
i can't see how the numbers that don't line up straight is not clocked as you dont see this on other cars.

Yeah, but it is a Peugeot :D

welshpug
i can't see how the numbers that don't line up straight is not clocked as you dont see this on other cars.

you haven't owned enough cars then :D

hexhamstu

Cars I have owned or borrowed for a period of time (and therefore looked at the clocks long enough to notice).

renault 19 - numbers not straight

VW passat - numbers not straight

Fiesta - numbers sort of straight

3 x 205s - numbers not straight

I very much doubt all of those cars have been clocked.

NeilGTi85

On all of my previous 205's they have all been miss-aligned

SurGie

This clocking seems to be quite big, look at my speedo below VV

003-1.jpg

These are very straight and 3 other speedo's i have spare are off line. Now when iv moved the numbers up and down they do have slight movement so if a 205 has hard suspension etc then surely this would be moving the numbers up or down slightly on there own.

Guest woodycufc
you haven't owned enough cars then ;)

i've owned 11 cars mate and not one had dodgy clocked numbers :)

timb1046

4 out of 6 cars i've had with analogue have not had strait numbers, but definatly hadnt been clocked. the other cars i've owned have all had digital numbers on their clocks

SurGie

Those ones are easy as piss to clock with the right software unfortunately, just before mot's. I remember that people could buy them over the net some how, but thats all i recall ??

hman205

Id be more suspicious it the were all perfectly straight lol

Edited by hman205