• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
djc

Im Off To Collect A Car

djc

Its just past 2.20 am according to the clock in the kitchen, an ungodly hour, I am waiting for a mate to arrive before we head off to Weymouth from the Midlands for the 07.00 sailing to Jersey. The reason? To collect a Steel Grey GTi bought blind off pistonheads (it was a long trip to look first!) Wish me luck!

blue_haddock

Your brave!

Daviewonder

Good luck :)

MrG

well done, this is something I do and have done a few times in the past.

get pics of the journey (and the car of course)

Atari Boy

IO quite enjoy trips like that, it should be fun. As Andrew said, let us know how you get on.

denva2682

Enjoy the trip and good luck!

Sure it'll be ok though, I bought the CTI blind off Pistonheads and it was fine!

Let us know what it's like...

damien

i love buying cars blind/very rubbish pics off ebay, half the fun is finding out that you shouldnt of done it

Tesstuff

I bought a car yesterday totally blind, didnt even know what year it was,what colour it was, or even what the mileage was, and it ended up being a right cracker :)

GilesW

I bought my last track car like that.

Drive to gatwick - fly to Newquay, got picked up by teh kiddie in the car.

Looked round it in detail. Loaded up all the spares, then drove it back (6.5 hours).

Change of clothes and straight out for a big party.

Pulled two ladies and had a great time.

Oh what a day that was...... :)

But a mission is always a bit of fun. Although it obviously is a bit tricky to negotiate if it's not quite as you were led to believe.

richsmells

Sounds like fun! You could have picked a worse place to go. Good luck!

djc

Thanks for the good wishes all! I am about 20 mins away from Jersey now, Its not the 1st car I've bought blind but its a fair trip to be reliant on a sellers description - fingers crossed.

Just how bad can a 52k mile car be? It might be an idea not to reply to that!

MrG

depends if its a Jersey car from day one, it'll need a good service but more importantly a good blat to clear out the congested rubbish that builds up when a car cannot 'excercise' correctly.

many I've seen are very good, although rust in weird places due to the proximity of the sea!

richsmells

A classics garage in Poole had an ex Jersey 205 1.6 Gti with 40k. Certainly wasn't mint, but better than average. I'd expect it to have made a lot of short trips. £4k price tag. :lol:

Clicky

Edited by richsmells

djc

Gutted, car described as super straight, no paint blemishes/scratches, fsh etc. Seller confirmed this by phone/email. Got there to find ripples on the drivers door, filler in the n/s 1/4 panel & door. Seller claims didn't know of repairs being made.

I should have gone to work instead today, the search continues!

rescue dude

Thats well crap dude. :lol:

What a d*ck to let you travel all that way and not be truthful about it.

martyn180
Thats well crap dude. :lol:

What a d*ck to let you travel all that way and not be truthful about it.

+1, should make him pay for the ferry and petrol

muddatrucker

I bought my car blind, but it was an ex-charity rally piece so whilst it had its quirks mechanically its great. Stuff wasn't described in detail but I expected it to have battle scars so I haven't held a grudge.

Its paid for itself. Did you still buy it?

rescue dude

Theres a tidy looking 1.6, (not sure if it's for sale) I always see parked up off the road on the left hand side of the Hartlebury road near to Mill lane. May be worth keeping an eye on it.

djc
Theres a tidy looking 1.6, (not sure if it's for sale) I always see parked up off the road on the left hand side of the Hartlebury road near to Mill lane. May be worth keeping an eye on it.

That's 2 mins from my house, there's a sorrento pretty much opposite too.

No, I didn't buy it, it was advertised for £4k so it should have been 100%, the seller went down to £2750 but I only wanted to go to £2500 - to make it the car it was described it needed 2 days of detail work in the engine bay & on the interior, both sides the roof & tailgate also would need painting to loose the previous bad repair on the n/s, the ripples on the o/s & the marks on the rest. Shame really as the wheels/interior general overall condition & mileage made it a reasonable proposition. But originality is what I want including the paint if at all possible.

denva2682
+1, should make him pay for the ferry and petrol

+ a day's loss of earnings! For £4k you'd expect it to be pukka wouldn't you!??

djc
+ a day's loss of earnings! For £4k you'd expect it to be pukka wouldn't you!??

I was expecting a minter to be honest, I don't mind the detail work but I wasn't prepared for it to spend a month in the bodyshop to bring it upto spec though, regardless of the price reduction.

denva2682
I was expecting a minter to be honest, I don't mind the detail work but I wasn't prepared for it to spend a month in the bodyshop to bring it upto spec though, regardless of the price reduction.

Totally agree bud, even for £2750 you'd expect everything to be straight IMO.

Miles

Always seems to be the way, It's easy for them to get you to look at the car only to find it's not as what you would expect, As said the sea/salt issue would sorry me too.

I;ve just got in a 48k Sor Green 1.6 GTi, Only had a quick look tonight when it arrived but all the normal area's are mint and rust free

harryskid

Your not the only one and you wont be the last! :D

MrG

but the problem here is one man's perfect is another....well you know what I'm getting at.

Keep hunting, at least you're prepared to do the leg work to find one. However you do know the one you eventually buy will be just around the corner from you!