• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Masekwm

Got To Love An 8v 205 Gti

Masekwm

So, the arguments go...

"You can't keep not selling it"

"That car hasn't moved for months"

"Why do we need another car anyway, it's not done anything"

Autumn arrives, winter comes...

"Ok, I'll mot it and try and sell it" I manage to put off every buyer ;)

Spring arrives and it sits in the garage going pink,

Then the daily goes for it's MOT. It fails, never mind, I'll get the garage to fix it. "You are looking at £592"

Crap.

I go to the garage, and try and start the 8v, the battery is dead, quick jump and it bursts to life. It's done about 10 miles since June 2009, I quickly retax it after 6 months being sorn and locked away.

I've managed to do the work to the daily myself, hopefully it'll be moted tomorrow but I think I'll keep the 8v on the road, it's not as raw as the 16v is. It's a nice alternative :) Although it doesn't feel anywhere near as quick as it did when it was my only car.

24seven

They were available with 8v lumps?

damien
They were available with 8v lumps?

i think the 8v was a limited edtion :)

Atari Boy

See Richie's quote by my sig :)

Batfink
i think the 8v was a limited edtion :)

yes limited by missing valves!

Anthony

In the aftermath of a nuclear war, there would only be two things left - cockroaches, and 8v GTi's that still refuse to die :lol:

DaveW

You 16v boys keep worrying about your oil levels, the 8v needs no oil..

Jemehan

DaveW, i second that! the tin cans are indestructible... amount of times ive pushed mine furhter than any other car would handle. die? NEVER!

DaveW

That red gti in my avatar used to burn oil alot, i would only realise when it was low on oil is when the light used to come on the dash, when trying loo out on roundabouts :lol: also once i checked the oil it showed about 2mm on the dipstick! filled it up and it still just kept working...

Henry Yorke
In the aftermath of a nuclear war, there would only be two things left - cockroaches, and 8v GTi's that still refuse to die :lol:

Amen! 16vs may be quicker, but 8vs are less mardy

swordfish210

Oh please, Pug diesel engines are way more hardcore than those mincy 8v's :lol: I'd like to see a 8v 205 do a 50mile roundtrip through a town centre and down the motorway with no coolant in it whatsoever :D

jackherer

My mate went about 15 miles with no coolant in his 8v 1.9 205, it warped the head pretty badly and it was pinking like nothing I've ever heard but it got him home!

However I agree about the diesels, the EMP from a nuclear blast would burn out a GTI's ignition amp and possibly some components in the admittedly simple ECU so you would need to arrange some form of points to do the job of the ignition amp but I believe the diesels have no electronics at all?

Jrod

16v's are unreliable? B) .... :rolleyes:

Edited by Jrod

welshpug

stop solenoid, but that's about it :rolleyes:

Masekwm

The Mrs was recovered off the M1 after the Ka started smoking from the engine bay, I found it had no coolant in so changed the cap and she's done 6-7000 miles since.

Whilst fitting new top mounts for the MOT I noticed it had no coolant in :D I've no idea how long it's gone without (or where it's going!)

Masekwm

We went out in the 8v yesterday, it was very odd, suddenly I found myself sat talking about 8v v 16v with the wife. It turns out she likes the 16v speed but doesn't like rollcages and bucket seats :lol:

It ended with her saying can you make this car as quick as the other but with the seats and normal seatbelts :)

Baz
It ended with her saying can you make this car as quick as the other...

Yes, but at great cost. Funnily enough that's what i've been trying to do, can be done, but it's a ball-ache and did i mention it costs fortunes? (Thankfully most of the expensive bits were done before i bought mine! But it's still been an expensive ball-ache!)

Masekwm

Isn't the GTi6 change getting easier with Miles/Dan doing manifold mods, Spiky (?) now producing looms?

I can see her point it's not girly to be driven round in a tatty shell with noisy bodies and harnesses. I don't mind treking around with headphones in but with a lack of funds for trackdays this year, I can see her point. Sadly :lol:

zebedy101

I ran my 8v engine without water for a good 15 miles, although it wasn't the same after being boiled it lasted another few thousand miles. The 16v engine is way ahead of the 8v in terms of everyday drivability and fuel consumption and performance, I would however love a nice standard 1.6 or 1.9 8v.

Cameron
In the aftermath of a nuclear war, there would only be two things left - cockroaches, and 8v GTi's that still refuse to die :D

They may be tough, but they aren't Bennett-proof. His last 8V ended up with a con-rod where the starter used to be. Not even the diesels are safe actually, I remember he cracked the head on every cylinder on a 306 DTurbo. :D

Baz
They may be tough, but they aren't Bennett-proof. His last 8V ended up with a con-rod where the starter used to be. Not even the diesels are safe actually, I remember he cracked the head on every cylinder on a 306 DTurbo. :D

Funnily enough i bumped into him last night at the Ace cafe!

Cameron

Haha small world!

All together now.. Slow down, Bennett!

Edited by Cameron