• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
ALEX

New Car

ALEX
Hi there,

Yes Alex did mention this site! I am the new owner and can I just say the car I bought is a absolute gem.

Alex has done a fantastic job and the car drives and looks superb. I hope to continue the hard work in keeping it in tip-top condition!

I know these forums are a brill source for info on the GTI so I will be checking it out regularly!

Cheers,

James! :lol:

Glad you're happy with it!

Like I said If you have any problems with it post up the question on here.

A lot of things get covered over and over again so don't forget to try a search on it first.

Was thinking when you left if you told the insurance about the head work? I never bothered declaring it as they get all paranoid about modifications and jump up the price.

If you need any parts too especially ones that are hard to get hold of, try Peugeot Parts (Dean Hunter) in Brotherton (he does delivery), All those yellow receipts are from him.

He knows me (and the car) quite well , but I'm guessing you've already figured that out with the stack of yellow receipts I gave you.

Try other places first though (eBay's good, or put a wanted add up on here) as he can get a little Pricey on some items as he only deals in genuine parts.

Hope you have fun with it, and you've just got to try it for a blast on some country roads with super unleaded in it B).

The fueling system is designed for 4 star which was 98 RON (unleaded is 95) It's safe to run on unleaded as the valve seats are steel inserts as standard.

Trouble is the reduced octane rating causes the engine to pink under load on regular unleaded. You can fix this by retarding the ignition on the distributor. (You'll notice its got loads of lines marked on it because of this, but I've forgot what they all mean though :)) . But if you retard it too much the power drops.

There's loads of topics about this on here somewhere if your interested in this kind of stuff. If you can get hold of 4 star or LRP. You'll find it's a little more responsive and quieter.

It's also a bit noisy because the soundproofing is missing in the boot.

One more thing, watch out for that lift off over steer on roundabout's. It's fun going round them like your on a rail until someone causes you to releases the throttle. It gets a bit scary when the rear decides to overtake the front. ;)

Alex

JIM89
Glad you're happy with it!

Like I said If you have any problems with it post up the question on here.

A lot of things get covered over and over again so don't forget to try a search on it first.

Was thinking when you left if you told the insurance about the head work? I never bothered declaring it as they get all paranoid about modifications and jump up the price.

If you need any parts too especially ones that are hard to get hold of, try Peugeot Parts (Dean Hunter) in Brotherton (he does delivery), All those yellow receipts are from him.

He knows me (and the car) quite well , but I'm guessing you've already figured that out with the stack of yellow receipts I gave you.

Try other places first though (eBay's good, or put a wanted add up on here) as he can get a little Pricey on some items as he only deals in genuine parts.

Hope you have fun with it, and you've just got to try it for a blast on some country roads with super unleaded in it :D.

The fueling system is designed for 4 star which was 98 RON (unleaded is 95) It's safe to run on unleaded as the valve seats are steel inserts as standard.

Trouble is the reduced octane rating causes the engine to pink under load on regular unleaded. You can fix this by retarding the ignition on the distributor. (You'll notice its got loads of lines marked on it because of this, but I've forgot what they all mean though :D) . But if you retard it too much the power drops.

There's loads of topics about this on here somewhere if your interested in this kind of stuff. If you can get hold of 4 star or LRP. You'll find it's a little more responsive and quieter.

It's also a bit noisy because the soundproofing is missing in the boot.

One more thing, watch out for that lift off over steer on roundabout's. It's fun going round them like your on a rail until someone causes you to releases the throttle. It gets a bit scary when the rear decides to overtake the front. :D

Alex

Cheers for all the advice, I appreciate your honesty too!

With the parts I gathered you stuck with the one dealer (genuine parts), Does he have a website?

Ive found this place too https://vault1.secured-url.com/htpsolutions...5/shop/home.asp

Regarding the the ignition timing, currently its set standard to run the 98 Ron? So, for example using Tesco's 99 Ron would give me more of a smoother run, adding the extra power and possibly more efficiency?

Not experienced the lift off oversteer yet but i'm sure i'll be alright!

My current racer has a locked rear axle, chain driven by a bike motor, and goes round corners by 'lift off oversteer'! lol

see here

and here

There use to be a lot of 205's in the class 7 class (unlimited RWD class) running twin bike engines with around 300-600bhp and no weight what so ever. You can still find them running in the FWD classes, 1.6 and 1.9 engines.

James :D

Edited by JIM89

ALEX

He has a website, it's not great, but he keeps an upto date stock list on it if you know the part number.

Dean hunter Peugeot parts link.

The advance setting is a bit of a guess and probably at a compromise between the too, it will take about a full tank to benefit from higher octane though as you'll be mixing it with regular unleaded.

Those vids look awsome, I think you'll get on quite well on here.

Edited by ALEX