• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
harley

Wheel Colour Opinions

harley

So I'm looking to get the 1.9 speedlines on my car refurbished. They have been painted white by the previous owner and although I do think it works quite well with the colour of the car, it's not what I would have chosen.

I'm thinking I want them grey/anthracite with a silver lip but I'm not sure if I should go for a match with the body work or more of a goodwood shade (slightly lighter?). I must say I'm swinging more to getting them done as close to graphite grey as I can but I just wanted to see what everyone on here thinks first. Welcome to other recommendations too!

I Managed to find a few cars with a similar setup on the 'best photos of your cars' thread but it's not easy to see the actual colour of the wheels.

Also, I have seen an ad (on PH I think) for part exchange wheel refurbishments but I can't seem to find it any more. I think it might be somebody on here? Either way, if anybody has used this service it would be good to hear about the quality of work/service. I think the price I saw on the ad was pretty reasonable.

Harley

hexhamstu

internetcar.jpg

P1010181.jpg

harley

This was one of the cars I had seen. Very nice!

The wheels look almost black though? (or maybe that's my colour blindness!)

I'm a big fan of the yellow driving lights too.

hexhamstu

The wheels do look quite dark, they are darker than some but not as dark as they appear in the picture. But lighter colours work well too.

harley

Did you have them sprayed darker than the bodywork? I just can't quite tell if they are the same shade or not (very bad with colours!)

Also, slightly off topic but is your car on standard suspension or has it been lowered slightly? If so do you mind me asking by how much? I'm fed up with my exhaust scraping on speed bumps.

NeilGTi85

I think they look better standard when on the ph 2 black bumper's.

The guy on PH selling wheel's is on here, will try and find the thread/user.

Neil

Tony 205 - http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?showuser=3181

Does not look like he advertise's on here any more though, used to give members discount if i remember correctly

Edited by NeilGTi85

harley

Did you have them sprayed darker than the bodywork? I just can't quite tell if they are the same shade or not (very bad with colours!)

Also, slightly off topic but is your car on standard suspension or has it been lowered slightly? If so do you mind me asking by how much? I'm fed up with my exhaust scraping on speed bumps.

harley
The guy on PH selling wheel's is on here, will try and find the thread/user.

Neil

Tony 205 - http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?showuser=3181

Does not look like he advertise's on here any more though, used to give members discount if i remember correctly

Cheers for that, will send him a message later.

hexhamstu

I didn't have them sprayed, I bought them second hand like that. I think they may have been James R's wheels? I'm really not sure to be honest. I can take a photo close up though if that would be helpful.

The car is lowered on 40mm lowering springs on the front, I'm fairly sure the rear is standard ride height, and sometimes looks a little high tbh.

harley

If you could it would be much appreciated! I think 40mm is just right on these, back doesn't look to high in the photo imo but maybe one notch on the torsion bar would get it spot on? I can't even get a finger between the rear wheels and the rear valance. Time for a rebuilt beam and all new suspension I think.

If the Mrs can take a months holiday in Thailand without me then I think I am allowed to treat myself to some upgrades!

hexhamstu

Mines receiving new suspension aswell :lol:

Rebuilt beam with 306 arms

Xsara VTS shocks

New top mounts

Newish poly-bushed wishbones

RHULPUG
I have seen an ad (on PH I think) for part exchange wheel refurbishments but I can't seem to find it any more. I think it might be somebody on here? Either way, if anybody has used this service it would be good to hear about the quality of work/service. I think the price I saw on the ad was pretty reasonable.

£140 + exchanging your bare rims (tyres removed, either all 4 speedlines for 4 fully refurbed speedlines, or 4 SMRs for 4 fully refurbed SMR's).

If you want to just buy them from him I think he quoted around £250, would need to check again though. Also, not just if that includes centre badges. You then need to take into account that you'd have to pay a tyre fitters to swap/re-fit tyres on the new wheels and if your only car is your 205 I'm not sure how you'd go about it.

harley

Thinking about it, I'm probably better off the spray the wheels myself over a weekend. The money I save by doing it myself could be much better spent on another full service!

Not sure on colour choice yet though.

RHULPUG
Thinking about it, I'm probably better off the spray the wheels myself over a weekend. The money I save by doing it myself could be much better spent on another full service!

Not sure on colour choice yet though.

Exactly what I'm thinking of doing. Rover Gun metal grey is the colour I'm going for, one wheel at a time, rotating using the spare wheel whilst the other is off the car. How would you go about doing the polished lip though? - Dremel?

harley

I was thinking of alot of careful masking and spraying the lip a nice silver?

DaveW

Rover storm grey.

harley

How does this rover storm grey compare to the graphite grey of my car? Lighter or Darker?

DaveW

Lighter, have you ever seen 309 goodwood wheels?

harley

Yeah, I really like the Goodwood wheels. Just still not sure if it would look better or not if they matched the car exactly. Decisions Decisions!

hexhamstu

I dont think matching exactly is a good idea, darker or lighter looks better imo.

welshpug

IMO a nice clean Graphite would be set off nicely with a properly original wheel colour.

have a search though, the code for both early and late cars, as well as the proper code for the Goodwood/Griffe wheels has been posted.

shalmaneser

I've got white wheels on my graphite, looks quite nice I think but are a bit of a nightmare to keep clean!

Might convert back to standard wheels but it looks a bit boring I think so might equally stick with the white....decisions decisions. Guy near me has a graphite on Goodwoods, looks really nice but can't be copying him...

TBH it all looks good standard/white/goodwood so you may as well flip a coin!

I'll post some pics once I get half a chance to give the old girl a clean and take some pics.

hexhamstu

White always looks scruffy unless just washed, good woods look fine covered in brake dust!

harley

That's the main issue really. They look the tits just after I've given them a good wash, but then I end up going out for a quick blast to show off my clean car and by the time I get home they are dirty again!