• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
aymen_a22

Xs Engine Problems Help

aymen_a22

Hi,

I have noticed the performance of my XS drop gradually over time until lately where I have noticed that the engine is burning oil. I am pretty sure the head gasket has gone as I am getting oil in my header tank (but no water in the oil).

Im not sure what the cause of the oil burning could be as it only happens when the engine is under load ( I checked by putting the hand brake on, selecting 3rd gear and holding the car on the clutch while accelerating a little).

I did a compression test a while ago and recorded an almost equal reading of around 114psi (a low 7.7:1 compression ratio).

Does anyone have any ideas of what it could be, and how I can fix it?

Thanks very much

allye

Head gasket def gone if you have oil in the header tank, does not have to have mayo in the oil. Sounds like oil stem seals truely had it if it burning oil under load. Get the head gasket done, whilst your there do the stem seals.

Ali

RossD

Just an observation, but you can't work out the compression ratio from the cranking pressures :) The valve timing makes it a little more complex than dividing compression pressure \ atomespheric pressure.

aymen_a22

Thanks very much, that sounds great.

It did seem like a bit of a crude way of finding the compression ratio.

I was also wondering if you can reuse the head bolts or are they stetch bolts? Also can you reuse head gaskets (good ones of course)?

Thanks again.

RossD

Errrr no on both counts :)

Guest Sam xs

TU engines are well known for the valve stem seals going, had mine done on my old 306, wasn't that expensive.