• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
kyepan

My Suspension Set Up

kyepan

Hi there,

I took Anthony's advice and put some zx rear arms on, stiffer torsion bars rear arb solid mounts to match with the front. and never felt happy.. i should have bought james's complete rear beam when it was up for sale, even though the price seemed expensive at the time, it was not at all! i've spent nearly twice that to get the same spec.

Always remembering Anthony's post about how controllable the rear oversteer was on James's car. .. and thinking "what was wrong?!?"

Until i fixed the knackered front top mounts the other weekend, it's felt alot more solid at the front end. Last night I got to go to my favourite circle of cones to make sure the car was performing correctly.. and as Ant predicted, yaw on lift off is now incredibly controllable, so easy it's not even funny, gentle bit of understeer into superbly correctable oversteer. I'm no driving god either, especially in the pug.

Anthony! and james! thanks :D

J

Anthony

Glad to hear that you're finally happy with the setup J :lol:

danny56712

what are my options for stiffer torsion bars on a 309 beam?

and stronger arb i would like too?

Anthony
what are my options for stiffer torsion bars on a 309 beam?

and stronger arb i would like too?

Somewhat off-topic (and probably best started as another thread entirely) but the obvious two questions are what you'll be using the car for, and what front suspension you're running / planning to run?

I can get uprated torsion and anti-roll bars made up in any size that you want, but clearly you need to make sure that you get something that will suit your usage of the car and that will compliment the rest of the suspension setup. For example, there's no point running monsterously stiff rear bars on an otherwise standardish car that's used primarily on the road.

Rich_p

If you don't mind me asking what is the full spec of your suspension?

kyepan

front

-ve camber 309 arms and driveshafts

207hdi 283mm discs and calipers ds2500 pads (heavy)

OMP adjustable Strut brace

c5 alloys (light)

Gaz adjustable coilovers set at 15/40

200lbs 8 inch springs

Uprated baker bm top mounts

standard arb

neutral track (twitchy)

goodyear eagle f1 (32psi)

rear

Solid mounts

refurb beam

25mm arb

22mm torsion bars

zx -ve camber rear arms.

Gaz dampers set at 12/40

goodyear eagle f1 (30psi)

Edited by kyepan

Baz

No problem mate, anytime. B)

Goliath

I'm glad to hear your setup is working well, I have bought James_R's 205 beam and am looking forward to fitting it B) I think my front setup is going to give similar results as yours so should match the back quite well, although my beam has a slightly softer setup then yours.

Is your car primarily a 'road car that you use on track days' or is it 'a track car that you use on the road'?

Baz

I think Justin means James' old beam & suspension setup that MrG now has, as Justin's current beam he's talking about was fitted etc about a year ago (so way before the latest one that James sold) at my workshop.

MrG

And to rub it in, if this is the same item as Baz mentions then that lot was the best buy I ever made.

Anthony
And to rub it in, if this is the same item as Baz mentions then that lot was the best buy I ever made.

Which one of James's setups did you get Andrew? The AST's with 275lb springs and 24mm rear bars (which mfield had, but sold on again sometime later from memory), or the Gaz's with 300lb springs and 25mm rear bars (that was sold late last year)?

I drove both setups fairly extensively and supplied/built the beams on both for him y'see B)

Baz
Which one of James's setups did you get Andrew? The AST's with 275lb springs and 24mm rear bars (which mfield had, but sold on again sometime later from memory), or the Gaz's with 300lb springs and 25mm rear bars (that was sold late last year)?

I drove both setups fairly extensively and supplied/built the beams on both for him y'see :D

Andrew has the AST's & 24's. :D

Anthony
Andrew has the AST's & 24's. :D

Nice! I was really fond of that setup and it handled sublimely - I kicked myself for not buying it myself when I was offered it

Bigtimmy

I drove both setups fairly extensively and supplied/built the beams on both for him y'see :D

I bought the Gaz front setup from James, and some 24mm rear bars(iirc) from yourself, I'm currently waiting for a 28mm rear ARB at the moment, and I reckon with the other bits I have done it does make the car soooooooooooooooo soooooooooooo much fun to drive :D

Baz
Nice! I was really fond of that setup and it handled sublimely - I kicked myself for not buying it myself when I was offered it

Didn't we all! :D

Anthony
I bought the Gaz front setup from James, and some 24mm rear bars(iirc) from yourself, I'm currently waiting for a 28mm rear ARB at the moment, and I reckon with the other bits

Yep, it was 24mm rear torsion bars that you bought from me :D With regards a 28mm anti-roll bar, be careful as I don't believe that it'll fit through the majority of trailing arm shafts without machining

MrG

as Baz says it was the AST's, I'm really chuffed with the set up, all I've done is fit it all and then left it as it was, as you say Anthony, it works sublime, really does. Made a huge difference to the car.

Edited by MrG