• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
AndyJ

Ebay-special 405 Ir Remote Conversion

AndyJ

I think every 205 I've owned has had infra-red central locking but none have ever come with a fob for it.

I saw these a couple of weeks ago on ebay, and thought for the price it was worth a shot at getting my remote locking working again...it worked perfectly with a little modification, here's how it's done!

(For anyone else who was wondering, you have to pull the rotating bit of the map-light out to get to the screw that holds everything to the roof...it took me ages to work that out :D )

Box comes with a 405 reciever and a key-type IR remote. You'll need to order a key blank separately to use the key as a key.

1-1.jpg

1st problem: Popping the cover off the reciever reveals that the 205 'bubble' will not fit.

2-1.jpg

Comparing the board of the old reciever with the new one - the component layout is a little different.

3-1.jpg

4-1.jpg

The first job was to desolder the IR phototransistors and graft some longer legs onto them, and remove the locating studs from the plastic carrier, to allow them to be repositioned.

5-1.jpg

...Then solder them back in their new location.

6-1.jpg

7-1.jpg

2nd problem: The different board layout means that two capacitors now poke out the top of the casing. This stops it clipping down into it's spot in the roof console.

8-1.jpg

I replaced the capacitors with new ones which were laid flat on the board.

9-1.jpg

Plug it all in, sorted :D

KRISKARRERA

Now that's tempting! They must cost a fortune from Pug, if they're still available. I've got a working plip but it's the old phase 1 405 version that is crumbling to bits. Good guide though obviously not needed for me. :)

monkee87

I've got a receiver from a 405 in my 205. The 'bubble' did fit, but it touches the IR bit. Didn't have to mod it like you did...

You can still get them from Peugeot. £120ish for it!! :) I tried getting one a while back until i realised i could take one from a 405. :D

AndyJ
I've got a receiver from a 405 in my 205. The 'bubble' did fit, but it touches the IR bit. Didn't have to mod it like you did...

You can still get them from Peugeot. £120ish for it!! :) I tried getting one a while back until i realised i could take one from a 405. :D

Yeah I figured it was different just cos its a chinese surprise one, rather than the original design. Tall capacitors are cheaper, and the positioning of stuff isnt critical under the 405 cover either.

joe1joe

so would the reciver be the same for a 106 early type around 1993 ?? nice tidy job!

humanz

Good article. What I would like to know though, is the wiring side. Where do the wires from the receiver go on the fuseboard (or wherever). I've got a receiver in my roof console but no wiring for it. And I haven't seen any wiring details in the Haynes manuals. Once I had the wires in place I'd give this conversion a go.

Fox

Bought one!

Just need to dust the soldering iron off now!

Where did you get the capacitors from?

rubyna

Ive been really lucky in that my last 205 and my present one has had both sets of keys and both fobs which work perfectly.. :)

jason7579

How close to the car do you need to be to lock and unlock the doors with this?

lemmingzappa

With the original setup I have to be quite close to the car as the sensors have to be pointing at each other.

KRISKARRERA

I don't know what the original 205 plip is like but on the phase 1 405 the plip's infra red thingy was sunken in to the surrounding plastic and so you had to get very close and be pointing it in just the right direction. The phase 2 style as shown above requires less accuracy as the thingy protrudes from the casing.

AndyJ

Soz guys, i've not been paying attention for the last few days...

Where do the wires from the receiver go on the fuseboard (or wherever).

I've no idea, i'll have a go at finding out when i have a free hour or two though. one wire will go to the central locking controller under the steering column, i'd guess the live/earth was the same as the permanent live/earth for the courtesy light, then theres another wire for something which i'll have to look into...possibly ignition live so you dont lock the door with the keys in?

Where did you get the capacitors from?

I found them in one of my many boxes of bits :lol: </sad> Maplin sell them for about 12p each though (10uf 50v electrolytics iirc)

In the day you have to basically hit the button as you are about to get in. At night it works from a few meters away...same as i remember the 405 being many years ago :D

Edited by AndyJ

Fox

Wahoo!

Arrived today, Went home, two screws, swapped the back plates over, turned the IR dome around 180' so the 'tab' didnt touch and shoved it back together. Its not ideal as the capacitors touch the inside of the consol but it works like a dream!

Yes its not as good as the modern RF I have on the focus, but aslong as you point it somewhere towards the sensor through the window it works!

Excellent find! Cheers Andy!

Edited by Fox

jason7579

Thanks for the replies re: distance. Very tempted to get one, just deciding whether to get this or get another alarm with remote central locking.