• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
rallysteve

Need To Replace My 405, Advice Please?

rallysteve

My trusty old 405 is coming to the end of its life unfortunately, the engine is starting to smoke and getting harder to start, it really needs new suspension bushes, new tyres and a refurbed rear beam. It has had a good life and doesnt really owe me anything anymore, so looking to upgrade.

My 405 is a 94' 1.9 non-turbo diesel, and is quite underpowered really. I have been looking at 406 2.0HDIs, have seen a few of the 90's for very reasonable money, the 110s and 2.2s seem to fetch much more money. I have heard bad things about the reliability of them though. Need it to be fairly cheap to run (im a cheapskate student), really need an estate and would really like a 1500kg towing limit so i can pull my 205 on the trailer.

Any opinions on them at all, have heard some people saying the hdi 90 is underpowered and the older 2.1td is a better bet.

My price range is £1200 max, and would really like electric windows, remote locking and Air-con.

Thanks

Steve

205turbo

i have a 2001 406 hd (90)i rapier estate , i bought it about 2 months ago and have been very happy with it, doe's 50mpg all day long and close to 60 mpg on a motorway cruse. £150 a year tax

comes with aircon as standard,fuel comp etc and has massive amounts of room, i don't find it under powered at all, the 110bhp models have a duel mass flywheel that can cause expensive problems as they fail.

24532_406010135907_589880907_5005622_6810079_n.jpg

all in all very happy with it and will make a good tow car when i fit the tow bar ;)

rallysteve

Thanks, thats almost identical to the one I will hopefully be looking at tomorrow ;)

To be honest dont think anything will be underpowered after my 405!

Steve

205turbo

there was a 2003 plate on ebay last week for £700 buy it now

omega

ive a 406 2.1 exec

bad points

tax is higher on these,check bottom pully as they can fail,lucas pump so dont run it on veg oil

good points

cheap to buy,good mpg,lots of toys,nice ride,drive