• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
christopher

Welding Book. Can Anyone Recommned One?

christopher

I would like to learn to weld the holes in my rusty 205 ;) I don't have much of a clue where to start so I figure perhaps a good welding book a 220v welder and some scrap metal might be an idea..

Does anyone recommend a good Welding book/manual where I can start?

I'm thinking of perhaps buying this book..

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Farm-Workshop-Weld...5113&sr=1-1

Cheers

Edited by christopher

EdCherry

I personally found a bit of reading up and getting stuck in the way to do it. I found welding thin bodywork stuff neatly very hard, but a bit thicker and I can do some nice welds now (although im not that consistant) maybe find some sort of evening class you can try so you dont have to put any money down on your own equipment.

Paul_13

Haynes do a welding manual, don't know how good it is though.

I found pratice was the best way of learning, but if you don't have the equipment it's hard.

Internet?

christopher
Haynes do a welding manual, don't know how good it is though.

I found pratice was the best way of learning, but if you don't have the equipment it's hard.

Internet?

Yeah but the book is sealed in halfords and the reviews on it are terrible... So I figure look elsewhere

Edited by christopher

christopher
maybe find some sort of evening class

Been looking. But can't a find any over here:-(

SurGie

Welding is not as hard as it looks, read the manual then practise and make sure you have a good temperature for the thickness of the metal and go steady so you dont burn through the metal. Make sure the surface areas you are welding are clean of paint, grease etc. Also have a good welder to hand and go nice and steady.

Cameron

Get the best equipment you can afford! None of the cheap hobby welders will be any good for consistent welds on thin materials, so it's worth trying to splash out a little more. Also your helmet makes a massive difference believe it or not, being able to see what you're doing is so important.

As for learning, the best way to learn is to get someone who knows how to do it to teach you. Books are open to misinterpretation and you won't know whether you're too hot, cold, or have too much wire feed unless someone can show you what each is like. Then once you know the basics, practise! The hardest thing about welding isn't getting the amps or the current right, it's being able to move your hands smoothly and knowing what positions to start and stop in. Once you get a steady hand and have the confidence to move comfortably and at a steady pace your welding will be so much neater.

Edited by Cameron

harryskid

When i started welding i went to evening classes at the tec collage and it was well worth it. I came away with city& guilds as a welder and fabricator which was good for work but also usefull for working on my cars. :ph34r:

johno_78

This is a good website to use: clicky