• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Will Eastman

Exhaust Blowing White Smoke

Will Eastman

Hey iv just got my car fix for the problem it had with overheating. Its now fixed for that problem but is blowing white smoke out the exhaust when you rev it. Can someone tell me what this could be. It isnt looseing coolant and isnt overheating now (sitting at just over halfway heat)?? Any ideas??? thanks

m_attt

white smoke is defiantly from water getting into the cylinders somewhere.

Will Eastman

Well im pretty sure its not leaking water, so where is it coming from?? So water getting in means the head gasket??? or something else?? thanks

giveitsomebar

sounds like headgasket :)

Will Eastman

How do i know if it is then??? Its a big job to do on a hunch??

jord294

definatly suspect headgasket, BUT if it's not overheating, and not using coolant then it could just be something as simple as the baffles in your exhaust being damp

try giving the car a really good long run to see if the white smoke clears

Will Eastman

Just driven it for a good 40mins, how do i know if its head gasket then? Will i definatly be loosing coolant?? If it is the head gasket, can i drive it and what sort of damage will i do if i do drive it? thanks

burr_2000

is your heater inside car still blowing hot?

hothatch

do a compression test, or get one done. if its white smoking it definatly means water in your cylinders so a compression test should show this. you could also get the coolant sniffed for exhaust gases.

i wouldnt keep driving it (if its over heating anyway) but it will do the engine no good. get somebody to do a few checks on it mate. its not the end of the world.

Will Eastman

Its not over-heating but will i do damage to it by driving it?

hothatch
Its not over-heating but will i do damage to it by driving it?

you could do tbh, the water in the cylinders is bound to get past the rings bit by bit and therfore into your oil, which could cause terrible engine wear which you dont want. ide get it checked by someone ,mate. aint gona cost much just for a sniff or compression test.

Paul_13

Are you running a FSE fuel regulator?

Could be wrong in thinking it could cause borewash??

Will Eastman

Guess il get the test done then. How tricky is it to fit new headgasket??? Whats involved??

Will Eastman

Got sniff test done and was fine, turns out the smoke out of exhaust is oil burning (smells it alot) duno why this would be. I am loosing coolant although think that this is leaking from the plug at the bottom of the radiator.

hothatch
Got sniff test done and was fine, turns out the smoke out of exhaust is oil burning (smells it alot) duno why this would be. I am loosing coolant although think that this is leaking from the plug at the bottom of the radiator.

ah well done mate a local garage did it for you did they ? its good news though, get the leak sorted by fitting a new copper seal bud.

eaither your rings are worn of your stem seals, or a bit of both. a good way to test stems is by finding a pretty steep hill, drop it into 2nd completly off the throttle going down so your engine is doing the breaking and as you get to the bottom put your foot flat to the floor and take a good look in your rear veiw mirror and you should see a lot of blue smoke shooting behind you. if so your stem seals are worn.

ben

Will Eastman

If either of these are worn, am i hurting it by driving it?? How easy will it be to fix these??? thanks for the help guys!!

hothatch
If either of these are worn, am i hurting it by driving it?? How easy will it be to fix these??? thanks for the help guys!!

no wont hurt it, just cokes up the valves and the pistons. you have to remove the head to change these, well you dont have to but its easier. how bad is it smoking ? most 205s burn oil tbh. how much oil are you using ?

Will Eastman

Is smoking a fair bit, not lossing oil really but then barley driven it, as only just got it back. I guess time will tell, il just keep an eye on the smoke and the levels. thanks

hothatch
Is smoking a fair bit, not lossing oil really but then barley driven it, as only just got it back. I guess time will tell, il just keep an eye on the smoke and the levels. thanks

yeah as you said mate, just watch the level on the oil, it is your blood after all lol :)

no probs