• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest hd_andy

Bump Starting

Guest hd_andy

Just wondering, never bump started a car before, what is the procedure, just in case!!

Cheers

blue1.9

This is how I did it last time...

Keys in ignition in 'ON' position (as if you were driving)

Put car in gear (I use second or reverse depending which way I'm being pushed - 2nd if pushed forward, reverse if pushed backwards) and depress clutch...

Get someone to push the car up to a fair speed (the faster the better) and then release the clutch suddenly....the engine will turn over due to the momentum of the car and the engine should catch...

Use some revs to keep engine alive if needed and make sure you have enough space...

You can always roll down a hill rather than get a push.

Hope that helps

Alex

Guest hd_andy

Thanks, always good to know just in case!!

Also I heard that it is not good to bump start a car with a cat because it can damage the cat. Is this true or not?

Thanks again

Andy

Guest Olly H

Just a note, if you're bump starting a car because the battery's completely flat you could have problems.

When I had a problem with my fuelpump staying on it drained the battery completely, this meant I couldn't deactivate the immobiliser, so once up to speed I'd dump the clutch, the power would come on, and I'd try to deactivate it as it was being turned over. However I had TWO immobilisers and it was impossible, had to jump start it off another car in the end.

Not sure about the cat, I don't see why it's any different from using the starter motor to turn it over?

Always try to park on a hill if you have starter problems, it's much easier.

jackherer

you shouldn't bumpstart a car with a cat because unburnt fuel can enter the exhaust and ignite in the cat. I've done it before though and subsequently passed MOTs with an N reg car...

also, bumpstarting any car is very hard on the clutch, I've destroyed a few clutches on old unreliable cars (including a 205 1.9) by getting into the habit of parking on hills and bumpstarting them...

Guest PacMan

lol, about 8 years ago i used to park my Mini two streets away on a hill as it would be guaranteed every morning before school, the bugger would never start. So all i had to do is jump in let the handbrake off and let her roll down the hill before she kicked into life. Also the only way to stop it, even when the keys were out of the ignition, would to be to purposely stall the car so the engine quit. I miss that car, so much character and served me well... ;)

Rob_the_Sparky

Bump starting any car with a totally flat battery won't work cause you need power to get a spark.

You also missed outone point in the procedure, you let the clutch out to spin the engine and then need to drop the clutch and rev it.

Guest PacMan
Bump starting any car with a totally flat battery won't work cause you need power to get a spark.

A few weeks ago, an old Granda had left the lights on in his Kia Pride, all night, and it was due for the MOT that day. We tried to bump start it, but there was no power in the battery. Not even a sniff of a light on the dashboard. Eventually i managed to bump start it in first for some strange reason, it coughed and spluttered into life, but he missed his MOT. ;)

Guest Gar

Not surprising. Possibly due to the lack of a clutch?

Guest ellisg

I live at top of a hill, 3 garages are at the bottom(Peugeot, local mechanic and battery specalist), its great. Hill is steep enough to bump start car by taking handbrake off, if that fails it goes in garage.

Thought the unburnt fuel on a catalytic converter only applied to Vauxhalls, they were always marginal on MOTs. My cat is original of 10 years, I would have had 3 Vauxhall ones by now.

Guest Ben

Whether this only applies to my car is unknown to me but it may help in the future!

I always found that giving the car fuel from choke or accelerator would just flood it and then it would take ages to get it going. I always let it start by itself and draw the fuel it needed to start.

Dunno whether this only applies to my car or all carbs?? but maybe worth knowing?!

Guest dave364634
Not surprising. Possibly due to the lack of a clutch?

ive never heard of an auto without a clutch.

granted, it carn't be operated by foot........

;):P:P:P

Guest chaza11

Autos dont have Clutches!!!! They have torque converters!!!!

Sign in to follow this