• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
davey205

Skip Brown

davey205

Firstly sorry to annoy anyone, I am on holiday for the week and thinking of taking my car to skip brown for them to set it up properly and maybe reduce / eliminate the kangarooing (at the moment the tps is unplugged as a lazy fix) . What is it i need to ask for? just a tuneup and a rolling road ?

Edited by davey205

rescue dude

Tell them what it's doing and what you've done to it.

If you only want it to run better then a tune up/mini service should do it.

If you want it set up on the rollers it'll cost a bit more but should be better.

Baz
Firstly sorry to annoy anyone, I am on holiday for the week and thinking of taking my car to skip brown for them to set it up properly and maybe reduce / eliminate the kangarooing (at the moment the tps is unplugged as a lazy fix) . What is it i need to ask for? just a tuneup and a rolling road ?

Apparently that's all they'll do anyway, set the TPS so it doesn't switch at part throttle/off. :)

d7ve_b

I'd be interested to hear how you get on with Skip Browns as i'm tempted to take mine there in the next few weeks to be checked over and run on the rolling road to see what power it is/isn't running.

woodsy

Well worth a trip mate.Iam resisting mentioning a TPS switch haha

CosKev

Go for it ;)

Excellent value for money,just over £50 for rolling road set-up :)

Everything explained about what they find with your car/what they have done :D

Will drive spot on from there B)

Henry Yorke

A power run at most places will cost you £35 so a set up at £50 is ideal. What they should hopefully do is run it on the rollers with a gas analyser in, see the power delivery curve and make adjustments to suit. They may tell you that the vacuum advance on the distributor has failed as this is quite common on 205s (undo the pipe to the bottom of the throttle body which runs to the dizzy, suck on it, if you can suck it is bust, if you cannot suck it is ok). TPS, screw on the AFM, screw on the throttle body and dizzy position can all be adjusted to make it run "better" assuming there is no other part at fault.

davey205

Be good to travel up there with someone, wife thinks its crazy / I'm crazy and the car will breakdown (it is 300 or so miles) Anyone from my neck of the woods Sussex / Kent that is toying with the idea of going let me know im a bit worried about a breakdown as im not that mechanically minded and would only know the basics.

welshpug

if you were local I'd say go for it, but seeing as youre not I'd say find someone closer to hand, I'm sure there are a few places that can help that arent too far away from you.

richsmells

Granted SBC have good reputation, but setting up an 8v isn't some dark art. Surely Dan Taylor or Miles are a hell of a lot closer.

I remember being in a similar position to yourself when I first got my Gti. It was running rough and I wasn't particularly mechanically minded, so there was little chance of doing it myself. A friend recommended Miles, and when I picked it up, it was a different car!

Come down to sunny Dorset! ;)

Edited by richsmells

happygoron
Granted SBC have good reputation, but setting up an 8v isn't some dark art. Surely Dan Taylor or Miles are a hell of a lot closer.

I remember being in a similar position to yourself when I first got my Gti. It was running rough and I wasn't particularly mechanically minded, so there was little chance of doing it myself. A friend recommended Miles, and when I picked it up, it was a different car!

Come down to sunny Dorset! ;)

If only there was someone in south wales!

welshpug

I know the basics! (there isnt much more than basics!!)

happygoron

Have to drop you a few beers at some point then! She's popping a bit at idle at the moment which makes me suspect she's running lean.

welshpug

if its all in good nick I (and anyone with some slight technical nouse and ability to follow instructions from the Haynes manual) can get them set up pretty closely.

I remember mine passed its MOT on Jetronic I had setup by ear and nose at 1.5% CO, and went on to make about 122 bhp / 117 lbft on powerstations RR (was one of the best Jetronic equipped 205's they'd seen)

1.9er

Considering where you are, Miles or Dan would definetly be a better bet and get all the stuff done that you need doing.