• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
zebedy101

Second Car

zebedy101

Evening all,

Due to the soaring price of petrol and miles I travel I have decided it's time I get a second car. I'm just about to turn 21 so I'm looking a something along the lines of a base model 205, 106 e.t.c... I'm not overly fussed what I get just so long as it's cheap and as economical as possible (I have been tempted by many a daewoo matiz)

What are your recomendations bearing in mind in spending no more than £500 max?

Also what's my best option insurance wise, do I get both cars under the same policy or do I try and get my 205 on a restricted milage/classic policy?

Thanks, Seb

m_attt

you too young for a classic policy, and i was in the same boat as you, was ringing up company's saying i have a 1.8 205 d turbo and a modified 2.0 petrol turbo 205, what deals can you do to insure them both. all said separate policy's, and had good prices and bad, in the end i stuck the details of the dturbo in money supermarket with NO ncb and it came out less than half of what i was being offered insuring it with mirrored no claims or discounts for two cars etc

timb1046

at your age (only 2 years ago) i was in the same situation. i hunted everywhere, looking for a basemodle (even a diesel) 205, but the problem is there seem to be none of them, then i looked for any other kind of pug, even 405's but again none that met my conditions of having little engines and being cheap to insure, so i ended up with a rover 214. dont limit yourself, just go around a load of garages, and have a look keep your mind open, make a not of all small engined cars, remember that big cars can have larger capacity engines which are still regardedas small for the car size.

wracing

Only way is a second policy mate! at our age they wont touch us. my insurance company is now asking why im the main driver on 3 cars! :)

James

Atari Boy

I like this Seb, 205 diesel or this one.

Edited by Atari Boy

muddatrucker

Adding your Dad as a named driver usually helps get prices down.

one-lady-owner

I've always found adding my dad bumps the price up, I'm 24 and my mum has been a named driver on my policy for the past 6 years, and she still knocks off about £100!!

Atari Boy

Good point, I'm named on Soph's policy and I took £250 odd off the price, so worth thinking about.

Jrod
you too young for a classic policy

That isnt true with all companies, I'm 22 with a classic policy.

I'm with HIC and also have cover to drive other cars, I then registered my 405 to my Mum and insure it with her as the only driver for £160 a year. This means I can drive it with 3rd party cover. On a 405 who cares about fully comp. :)

zebedy101

Thanks for all the replies people.

Right, I have found a couple of places that are willing to do classic insurance so am going to have a look into that. Car wise I have found a few decent 205's a 1.0 and a diesel. What's the fuel consumption like on a 1.0 junior?

Thanks, Seb

one-lady-owner

Depends how heavy your right foot is, a mate of mine had a 1.1 4speed and it did alright, about 40 - 45 (ish) mpg, although bear in mind that was with no water in the engine at all (previous owner hadn't told him about a water leak and he's not the sort of person to check these things!) I'd imagine you'll get slightly more out of the NA diesel

zebedy101

Right I think I have a car, I thought I needed something a little more sporty than my 205....

A Fiat Cinquecento... Yeehaa

it's cheap, economical and should be a good buy. It's currently my girlfriends Nans car, the only problem is the headgasket is going/gone but shouldn't be an issue to sort. Parts are soo cheap, a headset inc bolts is £25.

Edited by zebedy101

DaveW

Them little fiats eat HG's, as the cooling is poor and the fact you have to rag it everywhere :D

Henry Yorke
Right, I have found a couple of places that are willing to do classic insurance so am going to have a look into that.

Curious to know who does modern classic insurance for the under 30's as I was also of the impression that you had to be over 30 to get a policy (2nd car, agreed mileage, agreed value, fully comp, garaged etc)

Jrod
Curious to know who does modern classic insurance for the under 30's as I was also of the impression that you had to be over 30 to get a policy (2nd car, agreed mileage, agreed value, fully comp, garaged etc)

Highway (part of LV) I have all of the above except I'm 22. I also get trackday cover.

welshpug

is it really worth it with the added cost of tax insurance and maintenance on a cheap car?

most cases just better off biting the bullet and sticking with what you've got already.