• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest dougie205gti

1.9 Cat Into A 1.6 Precat Wiring Help Needed

Guest dougie205gti

hi there folk some help needed on getting my 205 bk on the road bought the car 4 weeks ago but hasent went well so far. last week went into my work put my overalls on and wes told the car was on fire. went out and it was spuing out smoke. traced the fire back to the previouse owner messing bout with sound systems air horns and push button starters. everything under the bonnet was cooked so i stripped it all out gave the bay a good tidy up and decided to put a 1.9 in. sourced a engine from a 1993 cat version cheep so i fired it in and the thing i need to find out is wat would be the best way of getting it going as it uses a motronic ecu and one of the brown muli plugs dont match up to the car loom also the distributer doesnt have a socket for the plug thats meant to go to the distibuter is this unused and if i match the wires colour to colour will this get it going any help and advice will be uch appreciated cars still taxed and tested an need it back on the road asap cheers dougie

welshpug

you need to get the full wiring loom for the engine as well as all the engine management components as its a different system to the Jetronic on a 1.6.

what year is your 205? most after about late 1987-early 88 have the two brown plugs under the dash by the steering column, if it doesn't then you need to make the wiring fit.

Guest dougie205gti
you need to get the full wiring loom for the engine as well as all the engine management components as its a different system to the Jetronic on a 1.6.

what year is your 205? most after about late 1987-early 88 have the two brown plugs under the dash by the steering column, if it doesn't then you need to make the wiring fit.

hi thanks for the quick reply got the loom ecu and dis but when its pluged in i dont get fuel or spark but if i match colours should this get id goin and is a 1991 shell and it does have the 2 plugs 1 with thick wires matches its the other 1 that doesnt cheers

welshpug

check the wire numbers and match these up, their positions ijn the plugs did vary, you won't be far off if the plugs actually fit.

regards the dizzy you need to use the 1.9 Motronic one, also have you got the TDC sensor fitted along with the original Motronic flywheel?

Guest dougie205gti
check the wire numbers and match these up, their positions ijn the plugs did vary, you won't be far off if the plugs actually fit.

regards the dizzy you need to use the 1.9 Motronic one, also have you got the TDC sensor fitted along with the original Motronic flywheel?

yeh the plugs fit and the numbers match up, it does have the motronic flywheel but not the tdc as it was disconnected on the 1.6 but if in put in i have 1 there from a 1.6 will it work thanks for the help btw

welshpug

no, the one from the 1.6 will not work it, it needs to be like the Motronic original one in the top of the gearbox, same sensor that the Mi16 xsi's gti6's and even later diesel engines use, 3 pin plug.

it will not run at all without that.

Guest dougie205gti

also ive not got the lambda connected will this affect it starting? getting a crank sensor 2moz so will try that and c what happens cheers

welshpug

it wont affect the starting but it will drink fuel without the lambda connected.

Guest dougie205gti
it wont affect the starting but it will drink fuel without the lambda connected.

rite got a crank sensor fitted now getting a spark and firing up but then cutting out imediatly and not restarting. if i disconnect the ecu the plug it back in it will do the same thing. also there doesnt seem the be any wires for the sensor under ex manifold could this stop it running? thanks for the help so far :lol:

pug_ham

What sensor under the exhaust manifold?

If its a twin prong one on the back of the block its for the oil level sensor & most 205 GTI's never had them fitted so you can ignore it.

If its in the sump then its the oil temperature sensor & there should be a single wire that runs from the brown multiplug to the sensor.

Graham.

Guest dougie205gti
What sensor under the exhaust manifold?

If its a twin prong one on the back of the block its for the oil level sensor & most 205 GTI's never had them fitted so you can ignore it.

If its in the sump then its the oil temperature sensor & there should be a single wire that runs from the brown multiplug to the sensor.

Graham.

hi there yeh it was the 2 prong sensor. tryed starting again 2 night with every thing connected did the same thing but then back fired thu the manifold. also were does the outlet water hose go from the throttel body as the 1.6 is slightly differednt .the engine hasent been started in a year but got fresh oil and water in any other thoughts welcome thanks for the help so far

pug_ham

The outlets for the water hoses on the throttle body usually run from the thermostat housing to the body & then from the body back to the expansion tank but I don't have these plumbed in (along with a few other people on here) & run the hose directly from the thermostat housing back to the expansion tank.

Have you got the HT leads on in the correct order?

Graham.

Guest dougie205gti
The outlets for the water hoses on the throttle body usually run from the thermostat housing to the body & then from the body back to the expansion tank but I don't have these plumbed in (along with a few other people on here) & run the hose directly from the thermostat housing back to the expansion tank.

Have you got the HT leads on in the correct order?

Graham.

rite leads were in wrong order now the car starts and runs for 10 to 15 second then cuts out asif its over fueling as the plugs are soaking. the lambda is still out would this cause it 2 cut out . we tryed advancving the timing but still cuts out after 10 secs. realy need car bk asap thanks for help so far guys

pug_ham

Because you are using the motornic ecu you have minimal adjustment to the dizzy timing as its ecu controlled iirc so moving the dizzy body will have minimal effect.

If the lambda isn't plugged in though that could be the over fuelling problem.

Have you got the SAD & ecu coolant temp sensor plugs correctly connected?

Please just use the t_reply.gif below instead of the p_quote.gif which quotes a previous post.

Graham.

Guest dougie205gti

hi there ive tryed new temp sensor and injectors ive got the blue/white wired 2pin plug going to the temp sensor and the other 1 to the sad. also i think the lambda wires touched the body and sparked a little could this hav blown the ecu? thanks for the help guys

timb1046

i doubt it will have damaged the ECU. as long as it just brushed and sparked you're ok, damage gets done to things like fuses and electronics when you keep the wire held on somthing. although fuses can blow instantly,

Guest dougie205gti

orite so it should be ok just been thinking what would happen if ive got the sad and temp sensor plugs round the wrong way. would this cause it to do wat its doing (starting up reving the cutting out) thanks again folks

pug_ham

I think the blue & white wired plug is for the SAD iirc, they should be colour coded though, blue plug to the CTS & black plug to the SAD.

Graham.

Guest dougie205gti

alite folks just a wee update got the 1.9 in and running with bad miss, turnd out 2 be the head gasket or cracked head as when all plugs were out and we filled up the water u could see it filling the cylinder, cant believe it. anyway ive managed to get another running 1.6 so im gna put that back in for now but my question is is there anything i can use from the 1.9 to make the 1.6 engine go any better would the cam make any difference im planning on a 2.0l 8v turbo this winter so its just to tide me over ill then cheers guys

Sign in to follow this