• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Anthony

Plasticare - Before And After

AJA_GTi
i was sceptical the the first time i ordered this a year ago, now i use it on all cars lol.

Def cant be beat!! Its a buggar to wash of your hands tho so you def need the gloves! :ph34r:

Fairy liquid and sugar ;)

SurGie

The blue Nitrile type are chemical resistant, i get mine from GSF.

DaveW

All this talk and hardly any pictures!

muddatrucker

If I get up early enough tomorrow I'll do mine AND take pics.

kyepan
Contains very high levels of salt, not good on a 20 year old car ;)

Sorry, but forgive my stupidity, how does salt attack paint or lacquer exactly?

i've washed all my cars with washing up liquid, and rinsed them with normal water afterwards for fifteen years without any lacquer problems whatsoever.... no wait, that's not right. :ph34r:

up until i owned a Miami blue Peugeot i washed all my cars with washing up liquid for fifteen years and had no problems what soever... granted i didn't wash them very often, but.....

believing in fancy lotions and potions whether it be to fill the crevices on women's faces or clean men's cars is such a waste of time and money.

Isn't it better to spend time filling her other crevice, rather than furiously buffing one's rocket to a high finish with expensive lotion...

life is just too short,

This bumper paint does look good though.

J

Edited by kyepan
  • Like 1

kyepan
The blue Nitrile type are chemical resistant, i get mine from GSF.

I prefer latex, as it chafes less when throttling the stupid, GSF also stock these.

Rippthrough

Lets chloride ions form in the crevices under the edges of stone chips and makes them rust faster.

Edited by Rippthrough

lemmingzappa
believing in fancy lotions and potions whether it be to fill the crevices on women's faces or clean men's cars is such a waste of time and money.

I dunno man, there are alot of useless compounds out there but i'm sure alot of the bodywork guys on here swear by certain products.

AJA_GTi

I cant answer this question but bear in mind fairy has a lot of salts in it which obviously cause rust. There are loads of better/ cheaper products out there to wash cars with now :)

muddatrucker

Halfords always try selling me some half price Zipwax when I go in, obviously no-one wants it.

Eunosfield

May have to get on this plasticare bandwagon although I've never trusted ebay based products!

muddatrucker
May have to get on this plasticare bandwagon although I've never trusted ebay based products!

Well you've gotta start somewhere, what's more worrying is that halfords can sell stuff that doesn't work! I bet they all work when they are first developed but its the health and safety regulations and distributors wanting bigger margins that leads to changes in formula and s*it results!

Although its a dying market with colour coding becoming standard.

kyepan
Lets chloride ions form in the crevices under the edges of stone chips and makes them rust faster.

that makes sense, and was what i was thinking.

Moby

Can someone put the link of this plasticare on eBay. I've searched but cannot find. Thanks

yeti-dj
Can someone put the link of this plasticare on eBay. I've searched but cannot find. Thanks

i just got an email back from the guy on ebay and he has a few bottles of grey but no black left, delivery in the next few weeks... saying this i also cant find it on ebay so he may have sold out of grey as well.

his ebay id is "plasti-care" try searching that way

Obey_R

He hasn't got any for sale at the mo, there's a few bottles in the completed listings so hopefully will be back soon.

Daviewonder

My bottle of grey arrived on Friday and I got some time to make a start tonight. I'm really happy with the shade of grey :wacko:

Heres a quick "during" shot-

SAM_0816.jpg

muddatrucker

Mine needs another coat, but I've given up for now as I don't have any gloves and its literally a pain to get off easily.

Heres what my sunroof rail looked like before:

2010-06-20105554.jpg

I did find that unlike the rest of the trim, what with this being made from a harder material it didn't take the dye in the same way and it seemed more like paint - so it did take a couple of coats and I will give it another to finish it off and block out the smear marks.

2010-06-21160946.jpg

My quarter badges had some boot badges glued onto them, I didn't like the way it looked so I peeled them off, it took an age to get the glue substance off but once it was and I'd cleaned them up a bit, they looked like this:

2010-06-20103230.jpg

As you can see, the boot badges have left a blocky patch where the trim hasn't faded as much, so I applied some plasticare and added my new 'decals' and here it is:

2010-06-21160839.jpg

McDude

Does anyone reckon it would work the other way? In other words I have grey plasticare and have 'greyed' all the plastics, I would like a new tailgate trim but I can only buy phase II parts off the dealer (and haven't had any luck with posting on here for one).

Do you reckon it would take phase II dark grey to phase I light grey?

jord294

from what the seller of plasticare says

he reckons you only see better results on older trims.

i had asked if i could use it on my brand new bumpers :(

welshpug

I've used it on a new panel on my 309, and it has matched up very well, you'd be hard pressed to tell which was a new item from a distance.

GLPoomobile

I'm only making an assumption here, but I think he's possibly referring to the different plastics used between proper Pug bumpers and the pattern parts. I don't know if Pug themselves changed the plastic during production, but it is known that some pattern parts are a different plastic.

On mine, I found the front bumper really didn't take it well. It just doesn't seem to absorb the product. I don't know if this is because it's pattern part (don't know it's history) or if it's because I had to sand the bumper to get the old paint off.

Baz
Although its a dying market with colour coding becoming standard.

:( Very good!

Intentional or not! :blush:

McDude

My pondering was:

I can get a phase II trim from the dealer, but this would be too dark for a phase I car and wouldn't match, therefore if I plasticared it would it look phase I?

Or a bit sh1t?

muddatrucker
My pondering was:

I can get a phase II trim from the dealer, but this would be too dark for a phase I car and wouldn't match, therefore if I plasticared it would it look phase I?

Or a bit sh1t?

I don't think it'd work at making anything lighter tbh.