• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
kate205gti

Twin Fans Or Oil Cooler?

kate205gti

given the choice which option would you run on a 1.9 8v? :wacko:

All Praise The GTI

one decent fan and a small cooler should be plenty kate ;)

(either way you will probably kill the engine within a week :P

Edited by All Praise The GTI

Anthony

Neither?

Twin fans really aren't needed, and are at best a sticky plaster to cover a fundemental underlying issue, and to be honest an oil cooler isn't really needed for road or light track work either on a standard 8v lump.

AndyJ

Oil cooler. As has been said before, if one fan can't cool it down there is something else wrong...

Daviewonder

If its for road use I'd probably go for neither, track use I'd go for oil cooler as single fan works ok on its own ;)

Bonzai

OOJ seemed fine with one fan and a modest sized mocal

kate205gti

ive not had the engine running yet am assuming no overheating probs! but i have a twin fan setup sat here from a diesel, or a oil cooler setup - just need the longer threaded bolt for the filter

like anthony says ive never bothered with either before but as im putting it together and have these bits to hand seems a shame not to use one or the other - but cant fit both lol ;)

harryskid

An oil cooler should be used if there is a sump guard. Is that correct?

;)

welshpug

this cammed 1.9 of sarty's runs a heat exchanger and a single fan, warms up lovely and quick, and gives a very nice steady oil and water temps :rolleyes:

the little bugger revs its knackers off on the motorway due to the silly 1.6 box, but still doesn't get too warm.

24seven

Twin fan only on my Mi16 keeps the water temps constantly below half way as long as it's not low on fluid. That said I'd change to a single fan & cooler if it was a simple as choosing. Also pull the backing out of the lower valance grille if you haven't done already.

Baz
Neither?

Twin fans really aren't needed, and are at best a sticky plaster to cover a fundemental underlying issue, and to be honest an oil cooler isn't really needed for road or light track work either on a standard 8v lump.

What he said! :)

large
An oil cooler should be used if there is a sump guard. Is that correct?

:lol:

As a ROT i would say yes.

Twin fan only on my Mi16 keeps the water temps constantly below half way as long as it's not low on fluid. That said I'd change to a single fan & cooler if it was a simple as choosing. Also pull the backing out of the lower valance grille if you haven't done already.

I was running a 2 fan set up and found NO benifits. I am now running a 1 fan and oil cooler, things are a lot better oil temp is about 10deg C cooler and oil pressure is up with a warm/hot engine.

James_R

One fan, no cooler and bypass the ballast resistor so the fan come straight on full speed will never over heat.

And it' an 8v id doesn't really need oil or even any pressure will be 'reet

dake205

i ran my track car with both, got a mate who works in a hose company and he modified the oil cooler hoses so that it could sit behind the fog light