• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Batfink

My New Car

Batfink

Last night I picked this up off my brother.

29042010174.jpg

After the BMW died I needed something cheap and reliable and this ticks the boxes. 1.5 diesel van, cruises along at either 30 mph or 50mph so I'm looking at halving my fuel bills by driving slow. I'm going to try for about 80mpg as my challenge so will look at getting it more aerodynamic with smaller mirrors, thin tyres and other cheap improvements lol

AndyJ

You'll have to install some rear seats so you can fold them down...mmm sleek

Tom Fenton

1/4" ply undertray :)

Batfink

My brother wanted me to put my lightweight race system on it as it would save 7 kg but theres no turbo to dilute that horrible diesel sound.

plywood would be too heavy no?

Might make my own single wiper conversion for less drag and de-aeriel it as someone nicked the radio (thats 1 kg saving...)

richsmells

Skinny tyres from a 1.1 or similar?

I'm looking for something similar at the moment. :)

Edited by richsmells

Batfink

I was thinking them but i've been looking at the 107 wheels and I am wondering if they are any special hard compound for getting high mpg. I know michelin make some and many bmw's get them now.

Edited by Batfink

DaveW

145/70 tyres :), balsa wood? just have one wing mirror and lower it.

welshpug

107 wheels wont fit as it has JAP underpinnings! but the tyres would be suitable afaik as they aren't too different a diameter overall.

The Arch Bishop

Any savings you make on fuel would be swallowed by the cost of having to keep changing those michelin energy tyres that come on the 107. I managed to bald a front set in less than 7000 miles on my C1 and I wasn't driving it like a nutter. They cost a fortune as well!

djc

By the nature of the beast it will never do 80 MPG as long as the sun rises in the morning no matter what modifications are made, why? Because its white & a van - paint it silver (or any other colour for that matter) hey presto an instant 10 MPG more!

Paul_13

Nice! I remember seeing this when I picked up the headlights.

Love the rallye wheel look.

Batfink
By the nature of the beast it will never do 80 MPG as long as the sun rises in the morning no matter what modifications are made, why? Because its white & a van - paint it silver (or any other colour for that matter) hey presto an instant 10 MPG more!

maybe!

First tank of fuel and i've managed 65mpg. Thats not all at economical speeds, the car feels like it needs at least one driveshaft and its got those wide tyres.

New tank of diesel in today so will see what I can do with this one :)

kate205gti

haha awesome ;) be careful rallying it round the lanes too much - the driveshafts tend to snap -_-:)

Batfink

It does sound rather bad as I throw it into roundabouts :)

grandos

'as I throw it into roundabouts :ph34r: '

That'll get you 80mpg!

I think you should be using terms like ease it around the roundabout, and gently made my way down to the shops etc etc.

The Arch Bishop
'as I throw it into roundabouts :ph34r: '

That'll get you 80mpg!

I think you should be using terms like ease it around the roundabout, and gently made my way down to the shops etc etc.

Nah, key to mpg is momentum!

grandos

Not touching the throttle pedal and always travelling down hill is better :ph34r:

The Arch Bishop

Well, if we're going that far.... Best walk everywhere... At least you won't be touching the throttle!

grandos

Well........

Why walk when you can ROLL! Unlimited mpg (as long as the hill keeps going)

Then get the 'extra 28 miles BP people' to take you back to the top again for even more! (Ultimate)

Liquid_106

Not sure if this is a universal kit or if you can get one specifically for a Pug, but how about

sail_car.jpg

Zero mpg FTW :D:DB)

allye

Why don't you find a route that is down hill to work, and down hill home again!? haha. Also I never fill up unless I am going on a long journey, your paying to carry around fuel!

Ali

Batfink

this tank 74mpg with no modifications to the car. Apparently book figure when new for the constant 56mph run was 76mpg.

I might have to rethink my target of 80mpg and set the goal a bit higher...

richsmells

Awesome! Is that on the same wheels/tyres?

Batfink

Yeah i've done nothing to the car at all. Thought about inflating the tyres a bit more but the lighter does not work so I cannot use my electric pump.

Washed it though...