• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
flipperthebushkangaroo

Failed Mot, Hard To Get In 3rd, Engine Electrics Poor

flipperthebushkangaroo

Well as per the title the 205 failed its MOT this morning, not badly (re crimp the washer motor wires, and change drivers side wishbone)

BUT it is getting worse and worse to select 3rd and I'm getting fed up with the wiring in the engine bay as it is pretty well rotten.

So the plan is:- Engine out, replace engine mounts change gearbox. Replace the engine bay wiring, replace wishbone (perhaps i should do both?) and tidy up the engine bay as well as i can. If i can manage it, fit the power steering i boght off sorrentopete last year. Replace engine (is it worth changing the oil pump and any sensors while the engine is out?)

So what are your thoughts?

Is this a plan so cunning you could pin a tail on it and call it a fox? or have i missed anything important (timing belt was only changed a couple of thousand miles ago)

Is there anything else i should do at this point?

Please be gentle with me i have quite a limited budget for this and will not be able to do many hours a week. but will have car inside for about a year

Roddie

pugpete1108

i would say its so cunning you could brush your teeth with it :)

sounds like a bit to do though but well worth the effort in the end.

omega

change the clutch while its out

AndyJ

Definately replace both wishbones while you're at it, else you can end up with uneven handling. (If its just the bushes that are shot, get a set of poly bushes - cheaper as well)

Apart from that and the clutch, sounds all good. I find once you start, its never as much work as it sounds like!

24seven

As above, I'd replace both wishbones if you're going to replace one of them, but beware that aftermarket bushes can be known to wear out rapidly. As a slight upgrade I'd consider a set of gear rods from Miles on here to sharpen up the motion a little.

flipperthebushkangaroo

Thanks for all your suggestions,

I changed the clutch 12 months ago (pain in the ar$€ part of the reason i'm going to take the engine out this time!). will do both wishbones, anyone know if the bushes in the Motaquip ones are good quality or not?

stutto

Motaquip are the best that you will get, they are peugeot spares without the bag!

shalmaneser

Getting the engine out for just that stuff seems a bit of a faff to me. Changing the wishbones and engine mounts can easily be done in a couple of hours if you're vaguely familiar with spanners.

Power steering pump is a piece of piss too.

I'd be tempted to do those bits and fiddle around with the wiring bit by bit afterwards.

If you're changing the rear mounting bush as well change the gearbox seals at the same time, good bit of preventative maintenance and only 6.50 from the group buys section.