• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Daviewonder

Tu Engine End Float

Daviewonder

Hi Guys

I had my bottom pulley off when I changed the crank oil seal and timing belt and there seemed to be about 1mm end float in the crank, this totally disappears when I bolt the pulley back on.

Is this normal, is it okay as there's no end float when it's all bolted together?

Any ideas Guys???

RossD

Doesn't sound right to me, when building an engine you check the endfloat without the pulley on anyway and it's a lot less that 1mm!

Daviewonder

Cheers Ross, Any idea what the maximum allowed is? I've never changed thrust washers before, Is it a simple as removing the oil pump and the end bearing cap? (I think this is where they are)

M_R_205

I think they are deeper in the engine, on the second big end from the flywheel, also im not sure if they can be done with the crank in situ...

RossD

Nope, to get an accurate reading you'd have to have the flywheel and gearbox removed, as well as pistons and rods ideally. Best place to do it is with the block stripped on a stand!

I can't remember the figure off the top of my head, I'll try and look it up and post it later.

Edited by RossD

Daviewonder

Cheers Guys, that would be good thanks Ross :)

Probably be rebuild time then, not done anything like this before :(

swordfish210

TU's are easy to rebuild, Is it an alloy block?

Daviewonder
TU's are easy to rebuild, Is it an alloy block?

No mate, Gti engine. I might purchase a Haynes manual as I'm unsure how to check tolerances etc :)

swordfish210
No mate, Gti engine. I might purchase a Haynes manual as I'm unsure how to check tolerances etc :)

Shouldn't this be in the XU section then?

Daviewonder

Not if its a 106 Gti :)

swordfish210

I see. Before you condem me as an idiot just remmeber it's late and i've been typing about simulation software all evening :)

If it's an iron block then it's slightly easier to build as you don't need to worry about setting the liner heights. The haynes manual isn't brilliant for all the measurements you require, i'm lead to believe the Autodata book is more informed.

Daviewonder

Ha ha I'm not going to condemn you as an idiot after all you're the one helping Me, I think I should do ok if I can get hold of the tolerances. I'm just dreading the whole thing as I'm new to this engine rebuild stuff :)

Sandy

Endfloat spec 0.07-0.32mm, I aim for about 0.12-0.15mm

M_R_205

If there is a local engine building place near you, if you ask them very nicely the will be able to print you off an engine spec sheet with all the torque values and tolerances.

Paul.

Daviewonder

Thanks for all your help and info guys, I'll have a go at getting the spec sheet then I'll have a crack at rebuilding it. Wish me luck :)

Guest dean-191

02392828224 Banda engineering in sunny Portsmouth. Brilliant blokes and brilliant prices on all bits and machine work.

allanallen

most of the Tu engines i've dealt with seem to of had loads of float on the crank, even a a jp4 engine with less than 15k on it had well over 0.5mm float??? They're all still running fine though :P

Daviewonder
02392828224 Banda engineering in sunny Portsmouth. Brilliant blokes and brilliant prices on all bits and machine work.

Yeah I've heard good things about Banda from people in the trade, I'd like to have a go at doing as much as I can myself first though :)

most of the Tu engines i've dealt with seem to of had loads of float on the crank, even a a jp4 engine with less than 15k on it had well over 0.5mm float??? They're all still running fine though :lol:

Mine ran fine with no symptoms up until the woodruff key in the crank broke up causing lots of bent valves (I assume the two things were related),

My engine has only done 64k and has 1.1mm according to a DTI gauge :)