• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest dean-191

Grumbling Driveshafts

Guest dean-191

Hello people, I've got a bit of an unusual driveshaft noise from my '90 1400 205 and i don't know if anyone could shed a bit of light on it. You can drive round in circles on either lock and it's silent, no clinking or clanking. However if you've got even a little bit of lock on either way (though slightly worse turning left) and you get a bit of power on then you get the most horrendous racket that you can feel grinding away under your feet. Conventional wisdom would say shafts but I'm thinking maybe I'm getting a touch too much engine movement and that's causing it? I'll be completely honest and say that i really haven't had a decent look at it yet so I really am just guessing! I'd like to get it sorted before I get a gt carb and a cam up it which should be in a couple of weeks hopefully. I know you can get uprated mounts and even extra engine steadies for these so I'm guessing the standard 20 year old bits can be a bit of a weekness? What do the guys who're running big spec TUs generally do in regards to engine mounts? Cheers Chaps

hothatch

Maybe the intermediate bearing in the middle of the long shaft on the frivers side ?

tdr_1976

Sounds like the inner CV's are tired.

Regarding Engine Mounts, I use the BBM Group N ones, great pieces of kit.

24seven

My vote goes to the half-shaft bearing too. I've just had to replace my driveshafts on my GTi as one was knocking on left lock and the half-shaft bearing looked like this...

th_DSC00516.jpg

That scrunch of metal is all that remained of the bearing cage!

Edited by 24seven

Guest dean-191

Ah of course! That would explain the noise only with the power on (and humped back bridges) I hadn't thought of that. I'm going to get underneath it monday hopefully and pull some bits off so I'll pop both shafts out and have a proper wiggle about and see what's what. Where abouts does that intermediate bearing come from? Is that usually a main agent only bit? Cheers Lads

24seven

No idea where you'd get them individually if at all, I'm pretty sure you can't replace them separately either if it's anything like the GTi again. I just replaced the whole shaft.

welshpug

yes you can get them individually, they're just a standard sealed cartridge bearing so can be obtained pretty cheap from the right bearing supplier, or about £25 from peugeot!