• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Juttie205

Opinions On Gentry On Pistonheads

Juttie205

As title there is a gentry mi16 on pistionheads with white interior I know its not a true gti but what are peoples opinions on it good buy?

The Arch Bishop

Linky for those who don't want to trawl through pistonheads...

It looks very tidy but seems a little steep and I'm not sure I'd want to try an Mi16 with drum rear brakes!

I think you could probably find a better spec GTI MI16 for less.

Sorry if it's someone's on here! :(

At the end of the day, it's worth what you're prepared to buy it for.

Edit: Link added to the aid of other perusers!

Edited by The Arch Bishop

205turbo

my mi16 works fine on drum brakes,

that was on ebay about 3 weeks ago, i'm sure someone posted a link on here or the psooc

Juttie205

It has had a rear beam change with disk just wanted peoples opinion as it would be a long way for me to travel

Edited by Juttie205

Richie

It looks in decent nick to me. Might be a little steep but i wouldn't say unreasonable. Good mi16's fetch over 2k, so worth a look imo. Only thing i'd be thinking about is the "low milage" engine, i don't like taking peoples words for things without proof.

shalmaneser

Looks nice but its a bit bloody steep isn't it? I suppose it depends what proof he's got with it re. the previous engine.

I'm also suspicious of 'uprated' rear beam - what's he done to it, if it's got stiffer bars then fair enough but it could just have been dropped a spline.

Having said that if it's as good as it look in the pics then it might be worth a go.

Miles

As said low Milage engine (They all are :wub: ) and specialest installation, If they where that good I would have named them.

Price wise is very fair/cheap I think if the car's in good condition, Shame the seats and door trim's have been changed thou

GLPoomobile

So it's a Gentry with an Mi16, no PS, and no auto box. Basically another Mi16 GTi with a s*it interior then :wub:

There's nothing wrong with drum brakes on an Mi16 either. How much effort do you think the rear brakes do? Even standard 1.6 front calipers are fine with decent pads!

Tesstuff

My Gentry v6 works excellently on rear drum brakes :wub:

GLPoomobile

Any excuse to get a mention in :wub:

:ph34r::D

(and probably because there is so much weight on the front that your rear brakes no longer need to do anything ;) )

Edited by GLPoomobile

SurGie

They weight a little less than the 6 engine afaik, its the over frontal weight when in a 205 that spoils it a little imo.

GLPoomobile

Here we go again :wub:

It's the g/b that weighs a f***in ton. Apparently. But since I'm only regurgitating the 'facts' that I've read on here, I could be talking bollocks, just like the 'fact' that the block weighs less than a GTI6 may well be bollocks too. Has anyone actually documented the weight of a V6 block yet, as I keep hearing the above but don't recall anyone actually posting the weight on here for comparison to the GTI6.

And the off topic continues.....

IOWGENTRY

I have had 3 Gentrys and just brought my 4th, 1% of all Gentrys lol.

Im sorry for being picky but I think a Gentry that is not auto is then not a Gentry, The ones that where distributed to the UK (400) where all Gentry automatics.

I have had 2 Green and 2 Gold (the only colours they came in) The one on Pistonheads seems dodgy as the Green ones came with only Dark grey leather and grey trim, The golds came with cream/brown leather with cream/brown trim. not a mixture!!!! This one seems to be a bit of both i.e parts from 2 vehicals!!!!

Phill

RHULPUG

This was for sale in January this year on ebay with a "water leak inside" caused by a faulty heater matrix. It sold for around £1.2k and was in the South West of England.

The PH advert states that "On the 18th of February this year it had the following items fitted -

New radiator (48.50 receipt present)

New heater matrix (£41 receipt present)"

evskigti6

looks stunning to me. your all too picky

Henry Yorke

The price of a 205 tends to come down to shell and paint condition now as the rest of it is easy to replace. Seems about on the nose for a tidy car though you would obviously get it cheaper with tax ands test etc. They all seem to have "low mileage" engines and that is worth bugger all now. I would be looking for rebuild evidence on any XU 16v, probably even a GTI6 at that price.

As Miles and others have pointed out, that interior is a combination of Gentry interiors. That means all is not quite what it seams. The PSOOC Derbyshire group leader paid over a grand less than that for a 29k Gentry in sorrento which is mint and 100% original, complete with floor mats.

If it is a late sorrento Mi you are after, a gentry is a good base, though I think (not 100% sure) they had 1.9 CTI rear beams which means a smaller anti roll bar compared to a GTI.

johno_78
I have had 3 Gentrys and just brought my 4th, 1% of all Gentrys lol.

Im sorry for being picky but I think a Gentry that is not auto is then not a Gentry, The ones that where distributed to the UK (400) where all Gentry automatics.

Phill

I completely agree with that. As soon as the autobox is removed, the Gentry status is withdrawn and it's just another 205, in my opinion

Tesstuff
I completely agree with that. As soon as the autobox is removed, the Gentry status is withdrawn and it's just another 205, in my opinion

What nonsense, the 'Gentry' refers to the trim level, of which the auto gearbox is one part.

I would agree with you if a 205 Automatic gained a manual box, it would then no longer be a 205 Automatic.

:(

Kobayashi

The Gentry was available as manual outside UK.

It then came with a close-ratio BE3 comparable to the 1.6 GTI and 1.9 Euro Rallye, which makes for some fun.

Edited by Kobayashi

djc

If it floats your boat buy it, you only need to justify it to yourself.....

Paul_13

Nowt wrong with rear drums, they peform better than discs when your locking the handbrake up.

I know they're not as easy to work on but if I had time and cash I'd be going back to drums.

bluesleeper

i'm sure this lad is local to me somewhere as I was told about the car a while back to see if I was interested.

he's a bit of a posh knobber but has normally got a decent set of wheels under him..