• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
muddatrucker

Importing 205s

muddatrucker

I know we have several members here who are based across Europe and even down under, but does anyone know if there are many 205s left on the continent? I drive a Belgian 205, left hand drive and dare I say it, I enjoy driving on the left.

I love the idea of flying abroad and buying/driving a 205 back, like a Euro Rallye especially...probably an unrealistic expectation though!

Just wondered if there was another avenue for finding the perfect 205!

richsmells

A few members have made the trip to bring back 405 T16s, 309 Gti16s, Griffes etc.

MrG

I have plans to go over and get a proper 205 rallye, or even a samba rallye. It's a case of when really.

muddatrucker
I have plans to go over and get a proper 205 rallye, or even a samba rallye. It's a case of when really.

I originally wanted a Gti, but since looking at Rallyes I'm in love! Haven't seen a good one for sell yet (luckily as I don't really have the cash to part with...but I would!) Mr Goodhands one went well before I became obsessed.

Too many ones heavily modified over here or turned into track cars, but then I don't know what the situation in France is. I'd love one that was someone else's project though as I'm a mechanical retard!

Para

I would be glad to help, there is always some Rallye's on sale from now and then:

1.3 http://allegro.pl/item986545527_peugeot_20...er_40_dcom.html

1.9 http://www.otomoto.pl/index.php?sect=show&id=C12416090

Best place too look for would be Switzeland or Scandinavian countries. The rest of the places getting pretty expensive now for a 205.

muddatrucker

Top one looks great and driving back would be fun in itself! Never considered Poland, although I do have a Polish housemate, she could be the translator!

I guess someone being willing to sell to a foreigner might be hard to find, but as long as you're not some mythical Nigerian prince they might go for it...but yeah, the language barrier....money talks though.

Fenham Dave

Hi,

Go for it - I went across to France a couple of years ago and got myself a Euro Rallye :lol: and have loved every minute driving it.

Not too much hassle to import either - you just need to get the car insured on the Chassis Number, and then get an MOT (Change the lights over, fit side indicators, rear fog lamp etc) before going along to your local DVLA Office to register the car. Doesn't cost too much either. The only hassle I had was from the Insurance company who wanted the MOT / registration done almost as soon as the car was in the country !

I found mine on www.webmycar.com

It's not absolutely clear whether you can drive the car from the point of import to your home - I think the DVLA suggested you trailered it, but I drove it up to Newcastle with no bother.

Dave

muddatrucker
Hi,

Go for it - I went across to France a couple of years ago and got myself a Euro Rallye :lol: and have loved every minute driving it.

Not too much hassle to import either - you just need to get the car insured on the Chassis Number, and then get an MOT (Change the lights over, fit side indicators, rear fog lamp etc) before going along to your local DVLA Office to register the car. Doesn't cost too much either. The only hassle I had was from the Insurance company who wanted the MOT / registration done almost as soon as the car was in the country !

I found mine on www.webmycar.com

It's not absolutely clear whether you can drive the car from the point of import to your home - I think the DVLA suggested you trailered it, but I drove it up to Newcastle with no bother.

Dave

I'll consider it. Guess you could put on an accent and plead ignorance if you're pulled over!

France would be easier obviously, I probably shouldn't plan this alongside my drive from the UK to Mongolia though!

muddatrucker

Another random question, how do they determine/allocate your UK reg number? My car is foreign as I said, a 1991 on a J plate, imported in 1995.

It wouldn't be on a '10 plate would it?!

Para
Top one looks great and driving back would be fun in itself! Never considered Poland, although I do have a Polish housemate, she could be the translator!

I guess someone being willing to sell to a foreigner might be hard to find, but as long as you're not some mythical Nigerian prince they might go for it...but yeah, the language barrier....money talks though.

If only you will have somebody on the inside who can make a phone call and arrange everything, the rest would be just a pleasure !

Edited by Para

Carbs4me

it will be Registered on the year of the car so it will be a J Reg if anything.... just because its Registered in 2010 doesnt mean you will get a 010 plate. its the same with Jap Imports you never see a old SIR on a new plate :)

MrG

I've always wanted a 1.3 but the 1.9 could be an interesting buy? That one in the link, 1000 euro's, are the shed like for that or do they run reasonably well?

Dave

Here in France, GTi`s are generally priced outrageously. 1000€ is about right for a semi-legal worn out s*itter, count AT LEAST double if not triple that sum for a decent original example. Factor in that the harsh sun fades paint badly so many are resprayed to varying degrees of quality, interior cloths fade too, and the general French lack of concern over cars often means lots of little parking dinks and often dubious maintenance history.

For a standard-ish car, I wouldn't even consider it to be honest. I would only look for a model here that was not available in Britain.

A quick search for "205 gti" in my region shows a range of cars from a crash damaged 1987 car for €800 up to 3.5k for a standard 89 1.9 in pretty good condition, 4.5k for an mi16`d gentry with a rebuilt engine, and plenty others from 1.8 to 4k ish, ranging in quality from mediocre to reasonably good.

http://www.leboncoin.fr/voitures/offres/mi...1&q=205+gti

Since the pound is not far away from parity with the euro, these cars dont look particularly good value to me from a UK point of view, especially once you factor in the cost of the journey, registration costs etc etc.

MrG

I agree, but if I could locate a decent rallye (1.3 or 1.9) then I'd be tempted, but not with a car I could buy here and have the same troubles with. However an original 309 s16 could be good.

Dave

Id love a 309 s16 but I gave up looking after i completely failed to find one under €2k that wasn't worn out junk.

I just cant afford to pay that much for one.

My current driver is a Saxo VTR - left hand drive, which I found on ebay in the UK. it was on dutch plates and I got it for under £600. Total cost to me including the journey, registering it here in France etc is a tad over €1000, and I could sell it tomorrow for double that with ease.

It pays to keep an eye on various ebay sites around the EU as interesting cars occasionally turn up and there should be no tax or registration issues as long as its an original EU car to be used in another EU country.

DamirGTI

As said , prices are quite a bit high for GTi's in EU :D form what i've seen Italy being the highest , but Italian cars are usually spot on regarding rust issues .. however each new year the choice is narrower , it used to be loads of them for sale few years ago ..

check :

http://www.autoscout24.eu/

http://www.autoscout24.eu/List.aspx?vis=1&...&sort=price

Damir :lol:

EsTr3ToR

Hi,

This might be an old topic, but maybe someone will find something interesting here.

It is in Lithuanian, but there is a lot of photos.

Lithunian Peugeot Club, Members Projects

There always are from one to few GTi`s on sale in Lithuania, some of them are restored to pretty good state, because allmost all GTi`s belongs to members of the club and are looked after.

My 205 Graphite Grey Restoration

Will go on sale when finished.

Henry Yorke

With BMW E30 M3's the Germans come over here to buy. We British tend to look after our cars better than most European countries and the prices are favourable. You'd be paying top dollar for a decent french car too and the cosmetic only modifying scene over there has caused a lot to get butchered.

The 1.9 Rallye has the same engine as my CTI, so a bit of a disappointment unless you stick a turbo on it like I did!

christopher
I've always wanted a 1.3 but the 1.9 could be an interesting buy? That one in the link, 1000 euro's, are the shed like for that or do they run reasonably well?

I used to own a 93 1.9 Rallye and of course now I own a 1.3 Rallye. I think they only really made the 1.9 Rallye due to new emission laws. It was nice enough to drive but the gentry engine was basically a bit lethargic and of course much heaver. Its a common conversion to put a GTI engine in a 1.9 Rallye over here, but in general they are easier to find.

Having owned both as far as I am concerned the only real rallye is the 1.3 Rallye.

Having owned a 1.6 GTi/1.9 Gti/1.9 Rallye and 1.3 Rallye. To me the 1.3 Rallye is by far the 205 one with most soul. I just can't get enough..It is not about bhp and speed just the driving experience...for me at least :lol: and it is old school. Everything is mechanical, no sensors and ECU's just bare basics..reliable ... B) ok rant over

Edited by christopher

feb
I used to own a 93 1.9 Rallye and of course now I own a 1.3 Rallye. I think they only really made the 1.9 Rallye due to new emission laws. It was nice enough to drive but the gentry engine was basically a bit lethargic and of course much heaver. Its a common conversion to put a GTI engine in a 1.9 Rallye over here, but in general they are easier to find.

Having owned both as far as I am concerned the only real rallye is the 1.3 Rallye.

Having owned a 1.6 GTi/1.9 Gti/1.9 Rallye and 1.3 Rallye. To me the 1.3 Rallye is by far the 205 one with most soul. I just can't get enough..It is not about bhp and speed just the driving experience...for me at least :lol: and it is old school. Everything is mechanical, no sensors and ECU's just bare basics..reliable ... B) ok rant over

Christopher is this due to its lack of weight?

Surely 25 bhp less than a Gti will make some difference I imagine but then again I remember how much fun my 1.0 Trio Plus and AX were. If you can keep the momentum going in a twisty road (A339 being my favourite and daily road to work for a few years) you are as fast as more powerful cars as they can't corner any faster than you!

keeperlit

Hello again!

Looking at 3dr diesels en France there appear to be many good options for a GTi re-shell. Has anyone done this before? Is a French car really going to be not as rusty? I've got A-level French and Google translate :)

Baguette!

Edited by keeperlit