• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Rob Turbo

Lucas Turbo Diesel Pump Tuning

Rob Turbo

I decided to have a crack at turning the pump up on my 306 td at the weekend, first thing I did was 2 turns out on the boost compensator, then about 40 degrees in on the main fuling screw under the plastic cap on the front of the pump. Took it for a spin and it was 100% better than before, but wasn't smoking (got a mate to follow me while I booted it!) so gave the main screw another 40 ish degrees, didn't seem to make any difference but still no smoke! I only tried it through the gears, then today I tried putting it in 5th at about 30mph and putting my foot down, result - huge cloud of black smoke!

After having the intercooler off on a completely unrelated matter, I forgot to reconnect the boost compensator pipe, when I tried to show a mate the cloud of black smoke, there was none! So it seems that the smoke is down to the boost compensator (which I'm about to turn down slightly).

It seems like an awful lot of adjustment on the main screw, I'd expect it to be bellowing black smoke just at tickover! Do I just turn the boost compensator down slightly and just leave it at that or should I be turning the main screw up even more until I get smoke, then back it off slightly?

I'm fairly new to diesels so don't know exactly what I'm doing!!

Thanks,

Rob

ravydavy

Isn't their someone on Internet called diesel doctor or something like that. Do a search im sure he can help. I once saw a mag with one of his tuned up diesels in a 205. Think that was. 306 engine 1.9 jobby.

Rob Turbo

Derv doctor? I didn't think he'd be that interested in offering any help to a DIYer seeing as he makes a living from charging to do it.

Rob Turbo

Decent read! I'll put the boost compensator back to normal then carry on winding the main screw in until I get smoke!

Thanks,

Rob

B1ack_Mi16
Decent read! I'll put the boost compensator back to normal then carry on winding the main screw in until I get smoke!

Thanks,

Rob

On the 2.1 TD well it's a bosch pump though, but I turned the main fuelling screw 3 full turns :)

It smokes quite a bit now but is quite quick. :D

dumbiron
Derv doctor? I didn't think he'd be that interested in offering any help to a DIYer seeing as he makes a living from charging to do it.

You should try him, Gav is allways willing to help. Allthough he doesn't approve of chisels welded into waste gate actuator rods :)

M@tt

these might be useful Rob

Rob Turbo

I've seen them, that's where I got the "about 40 degrees" from, which is the bit that made the biggest difference, since then I've turned the screw about another half a turn, still very little smoke apart from booting it from low revs in a high gear but still doesn't feel any different to when I first turned the screw a bit!

Sign in to follow this