• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
dave_6785

What Tu Engine In A Gtx?

dave_6785

I've a 1.4 GTX SPi, being a later model XS does it use the same engine but in SPi form? Or would it be the slower TU engine?? Until i source and plan an engine upgrade i want the most from this engine, just wondered on the possibilities of maestro Carb conversion or such thing to get better performance from the engine, I dont wanna do anything to drastic as the engine will prob be out in a few months. Any help or suggestions?

batespeed

ive got a gtx , and it has a tu3m engine, according to my data book its rated at 80 bhp, but it seems to be quoted as 75 bhp elsewhere.its a single point injection, with a distributor.1360 cc with a cast iron block. i had all sorts of problems with the single point injection , so in the end put the whole cylinder head/carb fuel pump etc , from a tu3s ( in this case from a citroen ax gt, but the same as a 205 xs) it fits fine on the cast iron block with the right head gasket.

it goes well and revs to 7000 now :)

Batfink
ive got a gtx , and it has a tu3m engine, according to my data book its rated at 80 bhp, but it seems to be quoted as 75 bhp elsewhere.its a single point injection, with a distributor.1360 cc with a cast iron block. i had all sorts of problems with the single point injection , so in the end put the whole cylinder head/carb fuel pump etc , from a tu3s ( in this case from a citroen ax gt, but the same as a 205 xs) it fits fine on the cast iron block with the right head gasket.

it goes well and revs to 7000 now :)

Should have put the whole engine in! Its better than the iron block!

batespeed

ive heard the iron block is 20 kg heavier, but apart from that there doesent seem to be any advantages. anyway the alloy block is in my mini

dave_6785

i've got a TU3S block sat in my room, dont know what condition its in/whether it runs or not but i've the head gasket for it in good nick, i dont have the know how to strip the engine or do anything with it, i dont mind having the engine block in the car an iron one, just wondered whether i could take the necessary parts straight off an XS and swap over to mine??? What power gains do you get for a meastro carb conversion?? I've heard 15bhp???

burr_2000

whats the milage of both engines?.

try and find a meastro carb in a hurry and if ya do they tend to be over priced and worn. stick with the solex, nothing wrong with a well set up one.

dave_6785

The engine in my GTX is on 130k and still running bang on, 0-60 in 9 give or take half second, no idea on the TU3S engine i have in my cupboard though, picked it up for free off a guy that needed rid due to a move. looks half decent. I Can source an XS with the maestro carb on, it needs a little work but mechanically its sound, 110k on it i think. Instead of swapping cars i want to swap the bits over on the cars so i'm running a maestro carb on this and the xs will be running in SPi form to sell on. Thats the plan just wondered if its as simple as it seems.

Unless someone on here who knows what they are doin and wants a bit of cash for swapping the whole engines over and has a free weekend next month lol. Then use this head gasket if in better nick than the one currently used

stu_woac

if you was this end of the country I would of offered lol, just a note I was able to get 102bhp out of my first xs with only playing with the standard parts of the engine so the solex carb is very good if played with,

dave_6785
if you was this end of the country I would of offered lol, just a note I was able to get 102bhp out of my first xs with only playing with the standard parts of the engine so the solex carb is very good if played with,

Unfortunately i've an SPi and i doubt you can do as much with that lol. And if i'm looking at changing to carb with the same block would it not be easier for me, with very little know how, just to rip the maestro carb and bits from the xs and swap them over??

GeorgeXS

Please do tell!

dave_6785

any difference in the XS and GTX heads?? Just thinkin if i've got a whole XS but keeping the iron block could the heads and be directly swapped so the GTX would have an XS head and maestro carb???? And would the GTX head with SPi run on the XS as well? (that is if there is a difference!)

burr_2000

yes and yes

stu_woac

and yes :)

stu_woac

lol, there are alot of minor bits to be modified a example is to up the jetting size both jets and to replace the second emision tube with a slightly different one for the solex's then bore out the second camber and replace the butterfly :) wont give out to many secerts tho :)

dave_6785

lol, starting to sound complicated. Its not that i want silly performance from the engine, just want things i can fit and play with to get used to working on the TU engines (or any engine infact lol). Fitting an induction kit and decat exhaust was almost a mission 4 months ago for me, boring out and upping the jetting size??? Was hoping it would just be a bolt on and go thing lol

stu_woac

was just replying to georgexs your best bet for you is to swap over the heads complete does mean your be ruiing a heavier iron block on the xs set up but isn a bad thing if you want to push for more power later, if you do this yourself be careful with the alli block to not turn it over while the head is not on tight as the liners will move

dave_6785

I might give it a go at the end of the month, how easy or hard would a 106 16v gti engine be to fit to the GTX? Being a TU engine would it use the same engine mounts? And would the fact its an SPi make it any easy to fit the 106 engine (TU5J4???)