• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
JamieTonks

[trackday_prep] 205 Gti Fast Road / Tack Toy

Ben_M
Yeah baz I sold the evo 9 and bought the evo 5 and new clio 200 with the money :lol:

TBH i suppose its like any older car. You just need to look a little harder for the good ones. It was the 2nd one I went to see and was happy with it as the previous owner had just had it forged and the rest of it was straight

Ive then had some bits and bobs done to it to take it to around 500hp. Just waiting to get it on the RR to confirm but it should be there or abouts.

Tbh they aint that bad to run unless you want to use it every day where the mpg is horrific. 2 services a yr (8-9,000miles) will cost you about £90 for AYC fluid changes and the rest you can do youself ie oil change etc. It would cost about £400-£500 for a dealer like Xtreme-UK to do a couple of services on one

CIMG2844-vi.jpg

On the 205 i planed to ditch the PAS. Could I keep the current just remove the fluids etc? No idea how I would do that lol

Ive got it on a track day through the MLR later in the month so will see how it goes against a load of evo's :D

Nice 5 with good power!

Why are you binning the power steering on the 205? I went the other way on my 205 when converting the car to a GTI-6 and fitted powersteering never look back the steering was so heavy at slow speeds.

If you car has a 205 powersteering rack then to remove the powersteering setup you can just remove the hydraulic ram at the rear of the steering rack and all the hoses and thats the car back to heavy mode!

Baz

Evo looks ace, in the right colour too! Always loved 5's and have been considering one for a while now, not sure i need that sort of power though! (yet!) :lol:

JamieTonks
Evo looks ace, in the right colour too! Always loved 5's and have been considering one for a while now, not sure i need that sort of power though! (yet!) ;)

Its like anything baz. You get used to it all to quickly. Its a bloody quick car and you can used it all with the 4wd etc :lol:

maturin23
Looks great Jamie!! - Don't ditch the PAS rack, just remove everything from it for a cheap simple quick-rack, Pas items are 3.2turns instead of 3.8 or so! :wacko:

I've been running this setup for a year now and I hate it. It's actually spoiled the car for me. It's so heavy you have to take two 'bites' at slow corners and it's not great for parking, there's no enormous increase in feel/sensitivity to make up for the significant weight. I know this is a track toy, but I'd definitely suggest you go down the Xsara rack route. I am.

Baz

Funny you mention that as i've run them on a couple of mine with no issues at all for a few years, still a nice weighted feel without being too heavy, yet have been driving someone elses 205 recently and it's totally different despite being almost exactly the same spec as mine, so heavy! Mad how in effect 2 identical cars can be so different! :)

Edited by Baz

maturin23

It's awful :D I quite like a 'meaty' steering weight, but there's no detailed feedback to make the effort worthwhile.

It may be a problem with the rack or some binding in the column, perhaps. I did wonder why so many people seemed to rate this setup.

James_m

Agreed, I've just reconnected my PAS up. Its one think on track but for the road its just too much at times.

JamieTonks

Little update on the pug :lol:

went to castle combe the weekend just gone for its 1st track day on the MLR day

Had a great day and totaly justified why ive had the car done.

I was able to do 60 laps on the track and the car was faultless throughout not missing a beat and able to keep up with many evo's gtr etc

I dont think I would of got so much track time had I of been in my evo????

The car handled realy well and for quite a low cost set up realy gripped well. My biggest supprise was how hard it worked the rear tyres which I suppose shows its hanging on all 4 wheels well :o

Bring on Cadwell next month now :)

Only problem i now want a little more power in it to pull it out of the slower corners :)

553-1.jpg

Edited by JamieTonks

Matt Holley
Little update on the pug :lol:

went to castle combe the weekend just gone for its 1st track day on the MLR day

Had a great day and totaly justified why ive had the car done.

I was able to do 60 laps on the track and the car was faultless throughout not missing a beat and able to keep up with many evo's gtr etc

I dont think I would of got so much track time had I of been in my evo????

The car handled realy well and for quite a low cost set up realy gripped well. My biggest supprise was how hard it worked the rear tyres which I suppose shows its hanging on all 4 wheels well :o

Bring on Cadwell next month now :)

Only problem i now want a little more power in it to pull it out of the slower corners :)

553-1.jpg

If I'd had known there would be a 205 there I would have popped over, also sad as it is I could tell that was one of Neils pics just looking at it.

JamieTonks
If I'd had known there would be a 205 there I would have popped over, also sad as it is I could tell that was one of Neils pics just looking at it.

PMSL you know the man's work lol

james28

I am the new owner of this car and bought it for fast road and occasional track days

the first being cadwell park 25 march :)

few jobs to do

1. replace clutch cable as it was really stiff (done)

2.find out why the rev counter was erratic and not functioning right (loose wire )

3.took off all wheels greased up and cleaned the suspension gaz front and rear :)

james28

of pictures just a couple i took when cleaning up the arches and suspension :)

post-16752-0-99600300-1299493835_thumb.jpg

post-16752-0-25427400-1299493862_thumb.jpg

oli-pug

Great looking motor, very jealous of that paint lol

Happy to take a look on Saturday mate, will be around most of the day trying to polish mine up no doubt :lol:

james28

Ok so an update

7 hour round trip with yippeekayay nice one bud to collect a nice 74k mileage gti6 lump from Roland rat nice one bud will report back on the running of the engine once installed.As my current less than 3k mileage lump decided to do a piston after half an hour on track and less than 3k miles since rebuild. from Roland rat nice one bud will report back on the running of the engine once installed

you were right about the clutch though it was shagged .

Today pugger my local thank god Mobile mechanic started getting to work on the car safely tacked up in his garage ha ha while his 205mi is condemned to the asphalt outside ha ha

after mucho fettling and taking apart the car the engine was finally ready to be ejected and the new lump installed today after 6 hours we well as much as i like to think i helped really pugger did all the work while i stood round cleaning the dirty bay typical ocd overdrive.So tomorrow just leaves the loom the reassembly of ancillaries shafts and hey presto will be back up and running .Lots of spares off the gti6 lump to be sold will add some pics today at some point

james28

car006.jpg

car008.jpg

car007.jpg

car009.jpg

judley

Just came across this thread when browsing. I bought this car from James a few months back and now its sporting a cage, Tran-x LSD, Rotrex SC etc. Interesting drive now ;-)

TT205

Just came across this thread when browsing. I bought this car from James a few months back and now its sporting a cage, Tran-x LSD, Rotrex SC etc. Interesting drive now ;-)

This means nothing without pictures!!

judley

This means nothing without pictures!!

You're dead right mate. At the moment I have a bit of a disaster with the bonnet (guy got carried away with the scoop) so I will take some pics when I have a solution. At the moment it looks like something out of a Mad Max movie ;-)

judley

Well the bonnet is still Madmax style but I think I may as well post up a couple of pics. These are from last October at the MLRSS event at Teesside. Pretty scary doing a night sprint when the track isn't fully lit!!!

Once I get the bonnet sorted, I'll post up some more of the engine bay etc.

205Teesside223102011.jpg

205Teesside123102011.jpg

205Teesside323102011.jpg

Vili

Well the bonnet is still Madmax style but I think I may as well post up a couple of pics. These are from last October at the MLRSS event at Teesside. Pretty scary doing a night sprint when the track isn't fully lit!!!

Once I get the bonnet sorted, I'll post up some more of the engine bay etc.

205Teesside223102011.jpg

Mean looking beast with the fangs. How much power is it pushing out?

But why does the hose on the front look like it's sucked...flat (don't know the proper English word for it :ph34r:)

Edited by Vili

allye

Are you running the crazy bonnet thign because you're using a inlet for a 306?

Vili, its a low boost (I assume) supercharge setup which run ~240 - ~260ish BHP. The pipes have collapsed under boost pressure. This is something I'm really looking into but would run as full length metal pipework as possible to avoid the above.

judley

Hi Vili. The silicone pipes suck flat under pressure and cause a small amount of lag as a result. I've had a hard pipe kit custom made now and I'll put some pics up later. It made 265hp and 222 lbs/ft from memory, I'll try and dig out the dyno sheet ;-)

judley

You are right allye. I've got a way round this sucking issue but it was difficult fabbing the custom pipework. Pics to follow.

allye

Thats a great power figure for a low boost setup! Must have a healthy engine!

judley

It is a healthy engine but the main reason why it makes a bit more power is that is has a slightly larger restrictor than a standard low boost Lynx unit. Now where's that dyno sheet??