• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
JamieTonks

[trackday_prep] 205 Gti Fast Road / Tack Toy

JamieTonks

Hi guys

Today i picked up a new gti :):):lol: Ive been saying for the last yr or so I was going to have another one so now ive jumped in.

The car so far is nothing special and tbh is to bloody noisy however I will take it as it comes and see how I get on with it.

I'll start of with a few pics :(

Its an 89 with a Gti6 engine, gti6 brakes, magnex exhaust, and lowered suspension

Carl at CG cars is having it this week to sort a few niggly bits out (knackered cam sensor and knackered CV boot) and then im going to start of by doing the suspension and brakes :)

From an engine point of view my ultimate aim would be a 400hp SC conversion but I will take it one step at a time and see how it goes. Maybe pop the low boost set up on 1st :)

JamieTonks

Pics to start with :(

KGrHqUOKjEEuf5gw1UqBLuFycLB2_3-vi.jpg

B2kKGrHqQOKjoEuhDsM0BLuF0dh9_3-vi.jpg

KGrHqIOKjYEuf9B9ZzcBLuF1gEYg_3-vi.jpg

KGrHqMOKj0EuuHFc0soBLuFzYiSQ_3-vi.jpg

GrHqMOKj0EuuHFc0soBLuF4nzJeg_3-vi.jpg

GrHqEOKiMEuZoPRHzHBLug8FiGUQ_3-vi.jpg

Edited by JamieTonks

Atari Boy

Paint work looks very good, has it had a respray?

JamieTonks

It has had paint over the years but not a full respray from what I can see :(

richsmells

Looks very nice. Goodwood interior too! What symptoms are you getting from the dead cam sensor?

JamieTonks

It always starts however sometimes dosnt want to fire. I spoke to CG Cars who rebuilt the head on it about a year ago and he tells me it had the same problem a year ago and told the owner it was the cam sensor. Bloody tight arses lol

Its going Thursday to have it sorted though.

Ive bought myself some OMP bucket seats and harnesses, and a black carpet in the last couple of days, so the plan for this weekend is to strip the interior and pop the black carpet and new seats back in.

I will be selling the leather seats. Can anoyone tell me what they tend to sell for. I know their is a set on ebay at the moment so im waiting to see what they sell for then might pop them on their straight after :P

DrSarty
I will be selling the leather seats. Can anoyone tell me what they tend to sell for.

It was £1.22 last time I checked, but I'd offer you £1.84. :P

One minute I like white GTIs, then black and then I'm back to red again. B)

MrG

white for me Dr.

Anyhow great looking 205 Jamie, red is certainly striking when clean.

happygoron
It was £1.22 last time I checked, but I'd offer you £1.84. :P

One minute I like white GTIs, then black and then I'm back to red again. B)

I'd love a red one if the colour was still there. Unfortunately it rarely is which is why white rocks.

Baz
I will be selling the leather seats. Can anoyone tell me what they tend to sell for. I know their is a set on ebay at the moment so im waiting to see what they sell for then might pop them on their straight after ;)

They're 309 Goodwood seats, so worht a bit more than generic 205 leathers. :blink:

JamieTonks

Thanks guys. That helps ;). The set on ebay is over £100 with a few days left so that's good as I have no use for them.

I need to make my mind up on what sort of suspension set up I want to use. I've read People are using GTI6 dampers with decent springs, 309 arms and drive shafts. How does this compare to a set of coilovers?

Thanks J

Edited by JamieTonks

JamieTonks

new seats are here :D

IMG_1871-vi.jpg

JamieTonks

Well 1 week in.....

got my new seats, new OMP harnesses and today got myself a black carpet so as soon as I get it back from CG cars I can start stripping the interior ;)

This week I want to find myself a roll cage and sort my suspension. However I cant make my mind up what is best to go for at the moment

shalmaneser
Well 1 week in.....

got my new seats, new OMP harnesses and today got myself a black carpet so as soon as I get it back from CG cars I can start stripping the interior :)

This week I want to find myself a roll cage and sort my suspension. However I cant make my mind up what is best to go for at the moment

Oooooh lets have some pics of the evo!

As far as fast road/ track goes i'd go for Gaz coilovers or adjustable dampers with 170 lb springs and a 309 rear beam which I'm running and am very happy with, if you want to go much stiffer you'll need custom torsion bars.

Batfink

nice seats

why is the hoover by the bed??? :)

feb

SBC phase I & II suspension :)

Costs a bit but makes the car so fun to drive, planted, friendly and very progressive at the limit.

Edited by feb

JamieTonks
nice seats

why is the hoover by the bed??? :)

you funny bugger. that aint my bedroom. got them off ebay brand new with 205 frames for £200. bargin!!

Got some front gaz coilovers and i want to get some 306 rear shocks. Dont plan to pop a 309 beam on it tbh just some good mounts and shocks etc

Edited by JamieTonks

JamieTonks

Things on my shopping list which I need to get this week if anyone can recomend a place that does them cheap:)

309 driveshafts

Excentric top mounts

A decent brake kit

some 306 rear shocks

A cheap roll cage :)

Then i think im gonna get it one the track

Edited by JamieTonks

JamieTonks

Well bit of an update for anyone interested and I will get some pics up soon

I wanted the engine looked at because it felt sluggish low down to say the least. A compression test show 2 and 3 very low on pressure so unfortunatly its had to be rebuilt as i dont want it letting go whilst on the track. Stripping it down showed one of the rings split and on the other the piston has a small crack in it :ph34r:

This was a bit of a let down as its was only rebuilt less that a year ago. I wont mention any names :wacko:

So its should be all back together Tuesday next week fully stripped rebuilt amd hopefully nice and fresh. Carl at CG cars if doing it all for me.

Ive almost got all the things I initialy want to do to the car prior to putting it all together now. The final things if anyone can help is the follwing

Some decent new rear shocks

309 gti driveshafts

some excentric top mounts

and a 2nd hand roll cage

Jamie

Edited by JamieTonks

oz.

Compbrake do eccentric top mounts but they're a bit gash thb.

Baker BM have a set 'coming soon' on their website. They look mint, but i doubt they'll be anywhere near cheap

JamieTonks
Compbrake do eccentric top mounts but they're a bit gash thb.

Baker BM have a set 'coming soon' on their website. They look mint, but i doubt they'll be anywhere near cheap

They aint lol. I cant even get mates rates out of him lol.

Rally design ones are are £100 a set so i ll probably go for them :wacko:

JamieTonks

Right for anyone interested I have an update.

So after finding the engine was low on compression I decided to have the bottom end rebuilt. The head was recently fully rebuilt so I though it would be money well spent.

So Carl at CG cars has stripped the bottom end down and rebuilt it for me. The engine should now be nice and healthy so it wont go bang on me whilst having some fun on the track.

GetAttachment8-vi.jpg

GetAttachment-vi.jpg

GetAttachment3-vi.jpg

GetAttachment1-vi.jpg

GetAttachment2-vi.jpg

GetAttachment4-vi.jpg

And now back together :unsure:

GetAttachment9-vi.jpg

Andy lastly sort the driveshaft (even though they are coming off in a few weeks for some 309 ones)

GetAttachment6-vi.jpg

GetAttachment7-vi.jpg

Now i need to start running the thing in now :(

Next on my list is to strip the interior and fit all the new bits ive got for the suspension :o:)

Edited by JamieTonks

JamieTonks

Well I thought I would spend the weekend getting the interior stripped with the father in law and getting my black carpet and bucket seats in.

Fitting the bloody OMP seats were a right pain in the arse but im well happy with how it come out. Just need to get me a cage now :)

started with the bloody terrible leather seats

P5040562-vi.jpg

P5040566-vi.jpg

P5040564-vi.jpg

P5040568-vi.jpg

P5040570-vi.jpg

P5040571-vi.jpg

P5040572-vi.jpg

JamieTonks

bit of a test fit before cleaning the floor out and popping the carpet in :)

P5040577-vi.jpg

and nearly done :D just need to sort the door cards and get the rear of the car repainted in the boot etc :)

P5090581-vi.jpg

P5090584-vi.jpg

P5090586-vi.jpg

Also in the last couple of weeks been getting these bit together to improve the suspension.

Just need to get some 309 shafts

GetAttachment-vi.jpg

Jamie

Edited by JamieTonks

welshpug

wouldn't have chosen those dampers myself, I'd recommend some better ones personally as the rear end will be so underdamped compared to the front, it'll be understeery then snap oversteery!