• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
powermandan

1.6 Gti Cold Idle Problem

powermandan

Alright guys, just got a new 1.6 gti and im having a problem with a very rough idle when cold. seems to even out when warm.

my first thought was the SAD, the car came with a spare. however im not sure either of them is working properly. infact id go as far to say that the spare my have been the orginal.

anyway, with the SAD out of the car and in my hand, looking through the orifice it would appear to be almost completley closed when the unit is stone cold. the spare unit is exactley the same.

i was under the impression from reading the S.A.D article that it should be fully open when cold?

any ideas?

there are other strange symptoms as well but may have nothing to do with problem.

- high pitch sucking/blowing sound coming from area around right hand side of fuel rail..

DamirGTI
- high pitch sucking/blowing sound coming from area around right hand side of fuel rail..

.. sounds like missing screw which holds oil filler neck onto the inlet manifold :) common problem cos the screw hole is drilled across the maniflold all the way till the insides :lol: so in the case of missing screw you'll have an big air leak ..

Damir :(

powermandan

nice one, will have a look at that wednesday (parked on friends drive)

any ideas about the S.A.D?

DamirGTI

Yes , well , the gap inside the SAD will never be completely open :huh: rather than that it'll be half moon shape , so just one half of the bimetallic disc trough which the air will bypass the unit during the warm up period ..

Anyway , if you wish , you can adjust the gap by undoing the 7mm nut on the SAD body (it has a dab of yellow paint on top ..) , undo the nut so that it's loosen and move the nut with stud base to the left-right and you'll see that the gap inside increases/decreases (really can't remember which side nut movement makes it bigger/narrower :lol: was a long time ago since i've been doing this but if you have the SAD removed off the car try and you'll see what happens when moving the nut on left or right ..)

Damir :P

Sign in to follow this