• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
zebedy101

Opinions Please

Baz

It doesn't really matter how big or small, or where you put it, they just ruin the aesthetics of the front profile IMO.

monkee87
People who do this should be banned from owning 205's :)

Why?! We have a number plate that doesn't fit in the recess and i find it annoying. Designed for french number plates obviously.. I'd rather not drill holes in my brand new bumper thanks! I can just use sticky number plate tape to stick it on the valence. Job done, no holes in the plate or the bumper or valence! It's different too, not many people do it. :D

zebedy101

In an ideal world I would have no front plate and cut the recess out for a bit of extra airflow.. The extra small front plate is now removed and the normal one is back in business. Mine used to be on the bottom of the valance but I prefer it in the standard place.

Baz
Why?!

Because, put simply, it looks utter gash.

Trim the plate and fit it wher eit's supposed to be, or not at all IMO.

Daviewonder
Why?!

Because it looks Chavtastic :o

will.m

I havent cut my plate, and it looks fine in my opinion? its slightly concave.

14e99bm.jpg

Cameron
It doesn't really matter how big or small, or where you put it, they just ruin the aesthetics of the front profile IMO.

Yeah definitely. I bloody hate number plates!

Edit - And I didn't even know it.

Edited by Cameron

monkee87

I HATE number plate screws. Number plate looks so gash with them in IMO. Can't use sticky number plate tape to stick it to the bumper as it doesn't stick, i've tried. Rear number plate is on the valence, so why not the front one too?

pugpete1108

how did you get on with the rear beam rob?

Cameron
Rear number plate is on the valence, so why not the front one too?

Because it looks s*it! :)

I've never seen a car with a plate relocated to the valence that looks good.

richsmells

I've always stuck mine on with foam pads to space the plate out from the recess. Looks neat, no screws and won't fall off if you prep the surfaces well.

24seven

Zip ties FTW!

P1010612-1.jpg

[edit] sorry, huge image. my bad

Dunno if anyone else has bothered doing this, but I've removed the backing and opened up the lower grille in the valance to increase the air flow to the radiator and it seems to have worked wonders for the water temps. As long as the car's rolling it never goes above half way on the guage, which is about the point the thermostat opens I guess.

Edited by 24seven

Baz

Nowt FTW!

DSC00914.jpg

:lol:

Dunno if anyone else has bothered doing this, but I've removed the backing and opened up the lower grille in the valance to increase the air flow to the radiator and it seems to have worked wonders for the water temps. As long as the car's rolling it never goes above half way on the guage, which is about the point the thermostat opens I guess.

Yep, always! Can't understand why they blocked it tbh!

All Praise The GTI

dont like it mate. i like sticky plates on the bonnet tho :lol:

and as baz above i always remove the lower grill backing. first time i noticed it i thought wtf?!?

kate205gti

small no plates = small willy :huh: looks stupid on any car (or bike) imo - and makes u a magnet for the police

ive got irish font plates on mine, still not technically legal but never had any bother :lol:

4465_176350945443_582530443_6875788_3622087_n.jpg

n582530443_1429743_381.jpg

in the window looks ok too - i had it there for ages on my other 205 but not sure on the law on that - could always say it "just fell off" :P

Baz
''It fell off / someone knocked it off / again officer''

:lol: Well over 2yrs and counting... :huh:

zebedy101

Double post oops

Edited by zebedy101

zebedy101

I took mine off for a couple of days but constatly got asked by people at work where it was so put it back on. The MOT testers at work and a policeman I spoke too said that there perfectly legal in the windscreen so long as they are forward facing and visible.

How many times have you been stopped for no number plates Baz?

Baz

Never.

I've been stopped twice i think in the blue 1.6 in the 26 months or so i've been using it basically daily, but not for the number plate, one was because they thought i hadn't got my seatbelt on (harnesses) and the other for 'sounding' like i was going fast (close gear ratios :huh: ) and they have asked why it's not on the front if/when noticed, never been a massive problem though. The first time was told it was fine in the windscreen, but 'advised' me to re-fix it, the second they only asked as they saw it, it was next to my seat as i got out of the car... :lol:

The main reason i do it is because my timing strut for competition fixes to the front of the cars, so the number plate being fitted properly makes it difficult or impossible.

Edited by Baz

zebedy101

Hmmm maybe I don't need my front plate just keep it in the car incase I get stopped.

"Sorry officer my cars on a diet and those couple of grams I'm saving also help my petrol consumption, I'm saving the planet when you look at the bigger picture"

shalmaneser
Nowt FTW!

DSC00914.jpg

:lol:

Yep, always! Can't understand why they blocked it tbh!

That looks so much better! Don't think i Have the balls for it though!