• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
custard-rallye

Water Somewhere?

custard-rallye

when i brake i can hear water moving about any idea where it could be? i have checked the doors removed the bung on the sills and rear quarter panels. the n/s/r footwell is soaked the sunroof doesn't seem to be leaking though any help would be great.

Anthony

Inside the sill itself - my 205 did this for a while, because the two tiny drain holes underneath were blocked.

Like yours, it was the nearside that was the issue, and randomly the NSR footwell would be an inch deep in water despite no obvious leakage from the usual candidates. I assume what was happening was that the sill was full of water, and when I parked on a slope, it was able to seep into the cabin somehow - possibly through the lower seatbolt mounting holes.

Once I cleared the drain holes and alot of water poured out, I never had either the sloshing noises or wet rear footwell issues again :)

treesimon
Inside the sill itself - my 205 did this for a while, because the two tiny drain holes underneath were blocked.

Like yours, it was the nearside that was the issue, and randomly the NSR footwell would be an inch deep in water despite no obvious leakage from the usual candidates. I assume what was happening was that the sill was full of water, and when I parked on a slope, it was able to seep into the cabin somehow - possibly through the lower seatbolt mounting holes.

Once I cleared the drain holes and alot of water poured out, I never had either the sloshing noises or wet rear footwell issues again :)

Sorry to jump into this topic.

Does anyone have a picture of these drain holes as id like to check mine. Are the drains at the ends of the sills?

Anthony
Does anyone have a picture of these drain holes as id like to check mine. Are the drains at the ends of the sills?

There's a couple of rubber grommits at the end of the sills, but they're not the problem.

The drains are a couple of small slots (about 5mm x 1mm from memory) on the underside of the sill, just behind the seam that the jacking point is part of. From memory, there is two and they're about a quarter of the way from the front and back of the sill - they're not that easy to see, especially if the underside is filthy.

A small/medium flat blade screwdriver is perfect for clearing any blockage and opening them out a touch if they've got deformed from someone jacking the car incorrectly.

jackherer
I assume what was happening was that the sill was full of water, and when I parked on a slope, it was able to seep into the cabin somehow - possibly through the lower seatbolt mounting holes.

There is definitely a route through, I took a mates old Mi engine to the tip but he failed to tell me it still had a sump full of oil in it which leaked into my car. It soon ended up leaking through the rear quarters then through the seam between the sill and the body all the way to the outside then some of it found its way onto my rear tyres and its still seeping out of the sills years later...

JRL

my old 205 used to make the slosh noise like yours it was in the doors. open the door look underneath at the bosttom of the door you will find drain holes i pushed a screw driver up removing the crud and water poored out.

James

MerlinGTI
There is definitely a route through, I took a mates old Mi engine to the tip but he failed to tell me it still had a sump full of oil in it which leaked into my car. It soon ended up leaking through the rear quarters then through the seam between the sill and the body all the way to the outside then some of it found its way onto my rear tyres and its still seeping out of the sills years later...

On the plus side, used engine oil is a fantastic rust preventer :)

I remember a old school ford owner (MK1 fiesta) who litterly painted all his unseen bits with the stuff. Car was Imaculate and unrestored. Not bad for a ford rust bucket.

Downside is your car will smell like robot arse.

EDIT: This thread has reminded me to shove the wax oil gun in my holes (sill holes that is! :P ) so thankyou Custard.

Edited by MerlinGTI

treesimon
There's a couple of rubber grommits at the end of the sills, but they're not the problem.

The drains are a couple of small slots (about 5mm x 1mm from memory) on the underside of the sill, just behind the seam that the jacking point is part of. From memory, there is two and they're about a quarter of the way from the front and back of the sill - they're not that easy to see, especially if the underside is filthy.

A small/medium flat blade screwdriver is perfect for clearing any blockage and opening them out a touch if they've got deformed from someone jacking the car incorrectly.

Thats great, i'll check mine out now.

Cheers

davey205

ive got water coming in nsr footwell no obvious traceable routes, would appreciate a few pointers drains are clear.

Edited by davey205

JRL

if all seals look ok and no signs of water coming in it could possibly be the heater matrix leaking it sits roughly behind cd player. if it is near side rear? check 1\4 window seals

Edited by JRL

custard-rallye

any chance of pics of these as i couldnt find them when i looked :rolleyes: