• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
de Noir

The Ultimate Mi Radiator To Inlet Clearance Thread

de Noir

Here is how I ultimately solved the radiator to inlet manifold clearance issue on my Mi conversion:

It's all about modding the fan cowl.

Everything that is popping out of the imagined (and real) fan housing surround plain needs to be removed.

Simplified, you cut out the yellow marked areas and ensure everything is level:

cuttingplane.jpg

I have used the jigsaw to cut the fan cowl.

When you're done, it shoud look this way (pictured right):

_P3180174.jpg

Cutting out that amount od plastic is adding unwanted structural weakness to the fan cowl.

This is fixed by welding-back some previously cut-out material, at the olive coloured positions.

Mounting bracked can be strengthened by adding further cut-out material from below.

Existing mounting holes can be drilled to oval, for better adjustment (marked green):

_P3280031.jpg

Standard vs modded fancowl pictured below:

The whole structure is slimmer and has a fair bit more openings.

Meaning more airflow and better cooling.

Fan is not pictured here, but fits perfectly, leaving enough clearance to radiator.

_P3280023.jpg

_P3280024.jpg

Finally, radiator is inserted into the fan cowl standard way.

Radiator holder springs can also be shortened and fitted to their standard position.

The whole assembly occupies their regular position...

_P3180171.jpg

...leaving about 2cm clearance between intake manifold and radiator:

_P3180172.jpg

The finished article in my project thread soon!

Cheers!

B):)

blessed6383

not bad but how flexible is it now with the loss? am considering doing mine

CosKev

Moved the rad forward slightly on my 309,with twin slim line fans ;)

Didn't really need to as you will see with the pics the clearance between engine and rad is now excellent :D

100_5162.jpg

100_5160.jpg

:)

de Noir

Rad clearance on 309 isn't really an issue. ;)

not bad but how flexible is it now with the loss? am considering doing mine

Actually, it's not that bad without any strengthening mods, but I prefer not to leave it that way.

Welding plastic plates on 'olive' positions adds stiffness, as standard reinforcement fins are directly underneath.

Baz
Simple. :)

Not if you want to keep it reasonably standard/OE though.

jackherer
Simple. :)

Its not quite that simple, how are you attaching the grill? Also the slam panel will need reinforcing if you are still using the bonnet catch and not pins. The fan cowling has quite a few separate functions, not all of them immediately obvious.

24seven

I must have a weird alien super fat radiator. Even after chopping the hell out of the cowling it's still sat against the manifold. It's just a standard replacement one, can't remember the brand. That said it does keep the water temps a lot cooler than the ally Nissens one that used to be in there, literally the only time it ever goes above the half way mark is when sat in traffic.

welshpug
I must have a weird alien super fat radiator.

aka a TD rad, end tanks same as the gti/diesel but a much thicker core

Cameron
Not if you want to keep it reasonably standard/OE though.

Its not quite that simple, how are you attaching the grill? Also the slam panel will need reinforcing if you are still using the bonnet catch and not pins. The fan cowling has quite a few separate functions, not all of them immediately obvious.

You're right actually, it isn't that simple. :blush:

Slam panel is fine though isn't it? It just bolts to the bulkhead, or have I just been missing bolts for a long time?

Edit: Actually now that I think of it the cowling is bolted to the slap panel, mine was lowered originally. Man it's been way too long since I had a standard GTI. :lol:

Edited by Cameron

jackherer

The slam panel flexes if its not supported by the fan cowling and the bonnet wont close properly.

welshpug

The bonnet also pops open at about 70 mph with an un-secured/strengthened slam panel :blush:

Cameron

My bonnet popped open at 30mph, but that was more because the catch was nackered. :blush:

• Like 1

blessed6383

shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh dont talk about the bonnet flying open it scares the crap out of me had it happen on my old bmw at around 60ish and the result was a foot shorter bmw (proper compact) lmfao mind you best thing that ever happen as bought another pug with the comp money lol

matthewm

Set of pins will put your mind at ease, make sure you keep the bonnet stay though, that way if - for example - you were stupid enough to forget to do the pins up, it at least stops the bonnet from hitting the screen - so I've heard :rolleyes:

Cameron

Doesn't stop this from happening though.. :rolleyes:

24102007030.jpg

24102007032.jpg

de Noir
SSL21604.jpg

Simple. ^_^

I have tried to avoid this at all costs! :D

Nice framework, but do not like the shell cutting idea at all. :rolleyes:

Cameron

Fair enough, I know most people won't want to be cutting bits out of their 205's.. I remember how difficult my first cut was! :ph34r:

blessed6383

OUCH

blessed6383

did mine last night is looking much slimmer now :ph34r: has a spare one so wasn't too bothered if i made a balls up lol looks pretty damn good tho

taylorspug
Set of pins will put your mind at ease, make sure you keep the bonnet stay though, that way if - for example - you were stupid enough to forget to do the pins up, it at least stops the bonnet from hitting the screen - so I've heard :)

Not everyone wants a set of bonnet pins though, they look crap on anything but a proper track/race car.

The fan cowling guide MH has put up is spot on, its exactly the same as ive done them in the past and its always worked well. Im also a fan of not chopping the car up, as alot of people do it because they dont want to spend 5 minutes making something fit properly. Obviously Camerons case is a bit different as his car is pretty much an out and out track car, so the more space you can liberate the better. Plus hes done it the 'proper' chopping way, if that makes sense! :P

There is a fair bit of room even if you want to lower the radiator for throttle bodies and not chop all the front panel off, ive got a few pictures in my project thread. :)

Dutch205er

Since i did mine last weekend, at forehand a little confused even after reading different sites about this issue, i made some pics along the cutting.

th_radiator-01.jpg

th_radiator-02.jpg

th_radiator-03.jpg

th_radiator-04.jpg

th_radiator-05.jpg

]th_radiator-06.jpg

The fanhousing (fancowling?) feels still strong as original.

Dutch205er

Have to split it in two posts :)

th_radiator-07.jpg

th_radiator-08.jpg

th_radiator-09.jpg

th_radiator-10.jpg

th_radiator-11.jpg

de Noir

further I'd like to add:

shortened radiator springs

_P5130025.jpg

spring clips (made of cut-out fan cowl plastic)

_P5130026.jpg

combined detail using std radiator rubber bushings

_P5150002.jpg

and finished article

_P5130031.jpg

Will Eastman

Iv taken a fair amount out of my fan cowling and the rad is sitting about 1cm away so i'm pretty happy with that, only the bonnet takes a fair bit of closing. Not sure why as when looking down the bonnet catch hole there isn't any obstruction down there from the rad. Is there any way of helping the bonnet closing??

Sign in to follow this