• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
springs

Ongoing Starting / Electrical Problems

springs

Hi all,

Since I put a gti-6 engine into my 205 I've had nothing but problems getting the car to start just off the key. When I can start it, its done off a running car with jump leads.

The main problem is that when you turn the key nothing happens. There is no sign of the car trying to even attempt to turn over.

I've changed the starter motor with a know working one off another donor engine I've got for another project and that did nothing. Checking with an multi meter when turning the key the starter motor solenoid is only getting 4.5V and the main wire off the battery is getting over 12V. I've tried putting 12V directly to the solenoid while turning the key and nothing happened. I've got an earth cable going from a bolt on the gearbox to the battery and one from there to the chassis.

Currently the inlet manifold is off the car and so are most of the sensors. I'm not sure if that would have any effect at all from stopping the car turning over.

I'm sadly getting to the point where i wan't to give up. :)

welshpug

It should turn over as you bridge a live to the solenoid, if it doesn't then you either haven't got either a good earth, good power, or a poorly battery (check the voltage drop)

or a dead solenoid.

Anthony

As said, with 12v applied to the solenoid, the starter should turn over (you don't need to turn the key)

If the starter is DEFINITELY good (ie it was known working immediately before fitting to this car, not it worked before it was put in the garage 12 months ago) and it doesn't fire with 12v to the solenoid, then the earth or main 12v feed connections are suspect somewhere.

The reason it turns over with the jump leads connected is either that there's a poor connection between the battery terminal and the battery, or because the extra voltage from the running engine (ie 14v rather than 12v) is enough to overcome the bad contact.

Try putting a jump lead from the battery negative to the engine block (or even the starter motor body) and try again - that'll rule out a bad earth. If that doesn't work, try (carefully!) putting a jump lead from the battery positive to the main 12v feed on the back of the starter, being sure not to earth it out on anything. That'll rule out a bad contact on the positive feed for the starter.

springs

The starter motor was changed about 2 weeks ago. I put the old one back in the donor car and that started fine straight after.

i will give the jump lead a go and see where i get from there.

samc

i was having a similar problem with mine and it was the connector on the solenoid was a crap fit, also the earth wire was buggered, so i would definatley go with that.

springs

I've tried this evening putting a jump lead on several parts of the engine but still nothing.

springs

Don't suppose anyone has any more ideas on what i can try? Nice long weekend coming up so have some time to spend on the car.

springs

had a bit of a play with it today.

we have taken the starter motor out and tested it. That works fine. Putting it in the car and trying to turn it over we can only hear a clicking sound coming from it which sounds like the starter motor is engaging but not actually turning the flywheel.

jackherer

Try putting a good battery with a strong charge directly in the 205 rather than jumping it from another car if that is still what you are doing.

rescue dude
had a bit of a play with it today.

we have taken the starter motor out and tested it. That works fine. Putting it in the car and trying to turn it over we can only hear a clicking sound coming from it which sounds like the starter motor is engaging but not actually turning the flywheel.

My 8v has done this for year's but alway's start's after a few tries. My problem is the dreaded br**n mult****g.