• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
skinner2k3

Shafted By Garage?

skinner2k3

Not sure what to do about this one, really don’t want to let it go and take it on the chin.

I will try and keep this brief.

Bought a used car from a garage which was on 65’000 miles, my first question was has the cam belt been done (60k/4yr interval) and was told yes and shown the service book which suggested it was done at 55’000 miles. Since getting home with the car I have found tucked away in the back of the owner’s manual the receipt from that 55k service (I wasn’t shown this before), it lists everything ticked in the book except for the cambelt and the price for the work is definitely not high enough to cover the belt being done. So basically someone has ticked the cambelt box in the book. I am now faced with a £350 bill.

Also, part of the deal was they serviced the car (basic oil and filter change). It seems they did not refit the under tray correctly and it subsequently partially fell off and dragged along the road for god know how many miles so that is fooked too!

The last detail, I was meant to pay for two of the new tyre which were fitted when I collected the car. The bloke I dealt with originally was out and his college didn’t know, so I technically owe them £116 for two tyres.

Do I contact them and complain? Is the service book my responsibility to check? Am I going to end up being forced to pay for the tyres and get nothing for the work that now needs doing?????

rescue dude

Does the tick in the book for the cam belt look as if it could have been ticked at the same time as the other boxes?

This could just be a mistake by the garage you bought it from as they could have been misled too.

As for the undertray i'd come to some sort of deal using the money you owe them for tyres.

Tom Fenton

As above it could be that they genuinely didn't know about the cambelt. I would phone up or pop in and have a relaxed and polite chat about the various issues, hopefully you will be able to come to some arrangement with them about all issues.

skinner2k3

Just spoken to them, they were very good and apologetic about it.

I said I am happy to pay for the tyres, which I am as thats what I agreed.

The undertray they are going to pay for and I have said that a good used audi/vw breaker part will be sufficient as there is one down the road from me.

The cambelt I am more annoyed about as at the time of viewing the car I specifically aksed if all the paperwork was present and was told it was including the service book which I later found the reciept in. It wasnt there initially. They were sorry to hear of the missmatch in the documents and predictably stated they could only go by what they had seen.

I took photos of the undertray on and the damage to it off the car which I am going to send them by email tomorrow. I will also send scans of the service book and the invoice. They are going to get a quote from their garage, I can either bring the car back to them or get it done locally and I would have to cover the additional cost if it were greater.

Seems positive at the moment.

ORB

As a car salesman, I will say you handled it in the perfect manor, you go in looking for a fight, and you will get one! You go in calm and nice, more than likely you will get helped out.

If it is a genuine mistake on the garages behalf, they will want to put it right as reputation is the MOST important thing to a dealership. If you are known for selling s*ite and conning people, people will not buy from you.

notamondayfan

I basically dont believe anything dealers say to me any more, especially the larger chain dealerships!

The amount of aggro and stress they come with isnt worth it. Private is the way to go!

skinner2k3

I sent the photos and scans of the invoice and log book so they had all the info I had. I also called the garage which did the last service to double check there wasnt a separate invoice for the cam belt, nope.

Just to put the cheery on the cake I went out from work in the pissing rain last night at 4pm and the car wouldnt start, battery completely dead. Jumped it off a mate, drove straight to part-co and spent an hour last night (very awkward battery to fit) getting soaked. So thats another £80!

If I get no email back from the garage by midday I will be calling them to chase as its on 65k miles and the belt should have been done at 60k and I want to get on and sort it asap.

rescue dude

Just out of interest, what sort of car is it?

Or is it too embarrassing to tell us? :rolleyes:

Batfink

with the undertray hanging off its a VW or Audi. Virtually every one I see is dragging one along...

I'll go with A4 1.8...

Edited by Batfink

tri_longer
with the undertray hanging off its a VW or Audi. Virtually every one I see is dragging one along...

I'll go with A4 1.8...

If anyone finds mine can they let me know.

Edited by tri_longer

skinner2k3

Its a VW Passat TDI Sport, I am not embarassed about it at all.

On the subject of the undertrays falling off, I called a VW/AUDI breakers and they said they rarely come in in usable condition. Generally they are missing, sometimes they are damaged and about 1in50 are actually ok. To be fair though mine had only broken at 1 of the fixing points and had it not dropped and been rubbed through it would have been fine. I think its down to the crap fixing screws. Will probably replace with self tappers.

Tom Fenton

I went round and made sure my A4 had all the fixings in, over time lazy garages will lose or not put some back leading to it flapping about etc. Mine is now secure. Although beware the proper fixings are not cheap.

skinner2k3

Do they actually do up securely then. The one I had left was loose as hell when I refitted it.

Tom Fenton

There are two different lengths that go into the captive clips, they are like a quarter turn thing. Unlike the Peugeot dealerships who look at you as if you are an alien when you have the damn cheek to request that you buy spare parts from them, I have found the VAG dealers very helpful and happy to print off parts diagrams etc to help me decide what I want and also what fits where. My local dealer actually had a selection of both lengths of screws and also the captive clips in stock.

rescue dude
Its a VW Passat TDI Sport, I am not embarassed about it at all.

Nor should you be.

My ex had a 1.9 tdi Passat and loved it. :rolleyes:

skinner2k3

Perhaps the wrong bolts were fitted or mixed up???

Or as has been suggested the garage sucked the oil out, removed the filter from the top and never removed the cover, it was just bad luck it failed just after I got it????

Its a lovely car to drive, very smooth, loads quicker than the Focus was and quite (so quite I didnt hear the undertray scraping on the floor :rolleyes: )