• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest steveontwin40s

1.9 Injectors On 1.6?

Guest steveontwin40s

Hi, iv just put my 1.6 back on injection after being on twin 40s (hence the name;)) i have fitted a 4 branch manifold with straight through system to one box and have a ram air induction kit, have spent lots of time setting up throttle body, afm ect and it goes quite well (i think, only one iv driven!)

just want a little more so thought with all that air going in (induction kit) and all that air coming out (exhaust system) would 1.9 injectors give that bit more fuel = more power??

Also modded cam and mapping ecu worth it? if so- What, where and how much??

Thanks guys!

DrSarty

Injectors = no.

If you'd done a little search (which you haven't mentioned you have) you would see a few topics recently where this has been discussed, as you really need the 1.9 AFM and ECU to go with the injectors. Each will run with either, but you won't get what you're after.

Induction kits really don't make a lot of difference. More cold air is good, but the gains with a typical off the shelf system that I guess you may be talking about really aren't that much, other than a bit more noise. That may float your boat and make you feel you've gained.

A different camshaft, will see some gains, but often at some cost. There's no free ride. So you may gain 7bhp if everything else is on good working order, but lose some down low tractability. If you're only after numbers and plan to be revving it quite a bit then go for it.

Totally mappable fuelling and ignition will definitely bring improvements. Coupled with a nice and usable camshaft, perhaps with an adjustable pulley if it hasn't been well designed to work on standard cam timing will absolutely bring better peak figures and area under the curve. Costs of ECUs and mapping sessions has also been covered many times on here.

The 'secret' in short is everything working well together. You can't really just bung something on and expect a gain, otherwise in all fairness Peugeot would've done that in the first place.

Have a little look at the 'Power Secrets' thread I literally just posted in the General Motoring section on here. :P

Edited by DrSarty

Guest steveontwin40s

thanks for the reply.

i did do a search, looked through 26 pages of topics and couldnt find a single one for 1.9 injectors in a 1.6, im sure i had my eyes open! :P

cam and ecu it is then.

fair, i cant exspect bolt on power gains but after an hour or so after work every day and 5 hours on a saturday for 2 weeks 'tuning' id expect something so come to the conclusion i need modded parts to get more.

Cheers

DrSarty
i did do a search, looked through 26 pages of topics and couldnt find a single one for 1.9 injectors in a 1.6, im sure i had my eyes open! :P

Here's one on the same page as your topic called "1.6 to 1.9". It's not your exact question but the answer's in there.

Expect a mappable ECU with set-up to cost anywhere between £500 to £1,000. You may be able to get a cam in there as well for that, but as I mentioned in the 'Power Secrets' thread and as many agree on here, a healthy engine in the first place is the best starting point.

What I mean is, if you have s*it compression, then you'll still have s*it compression with a new cam in. This means your increase in power may only be getting back what you'd lost anyway. And someone with the same or milder cam but who had a healthier engine to start with will see much better gains and be quicker.

I suppose the lesson I've learnt, mainly from being here and starting to do a lot myself is take care of the basics and there is no easy modification. All except for those amazing resistor mods on eBay and folding the seats down. :)

MerlinGTI

Dude I told you this was no good a few weeks back when we was chatting via PM :) Didnt belive me :P ?

Guest steveontwin40s

oh yeh, soz MerlinGTI forgot about our chat, when your trawlin differant opinions u forget things, or cud b just me! ;)

my engine was rebuilt 5kish ago (before i brought it) checked compression anyway and all is good!

cam only then as moneys gota go elsewhere (respray! every panel has either very poor touch up or laquar peel- performance or looks?!

Thanks dr sarty too, very wise chap.

Sign in to follow this