• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Atari Boy

How Many Many Hours Need To Reshell A 205?

Atari Boy

Roughly how many hours would it take to reshell a 205?

Assume it is being done my a good mechanic and I would want to swap over engine, front and rear suspention etc.

I knowit is bit of a how long is a piece of string question but a rough idea would be good.

Tom Fenton

The main components, e.g. engine/box/rear beam do not take very long. However it is doing a nice and proper job of refitting brake and fuel lines, wiring loom, etc etc that takes time to do well.

I wouldn't like to try and put a time to it if I were to do it for a paying customer. All I can say is that you'd need to find someone you trust to do it, and then pay them for however long they spend on it. Obviously if you could go and spend time helping with cleaning and preparing parts for re fitting then that would help the overall cost of the job.

welshpug

depends what you mean by re-shell, every single part from one to another?

Atari Boy

I have someone very good to do the work who I trust so I am okay that end.

I don't have a shell in mind so I can't be overly specific but would not want to make more work that needs be so the fewer bits swapped over the better but 'the good bits' all add up.

willo-1
depends what you mean by re-shell, every single part from one to another?

as above really

jackherer

I've reshelled a track car and it wasn't too bad really but I wouldn't want to do a roadcar unless the new shell has an interior and dash etc. The major components transfer over in no time, the whole drivetrain, suspension and subframe can be done in one chunk just like how they were built on the production line in the first place but the little details after that add up to more than you expect.

Carl Chambers

To a bare shell I would say 4-5 days, if it was aready a car ie had pipes, dash etc 2-3 days.

Then theres you cage and seat mounts to do so thats take a day to do aswell.

As said it depends on what the doner shell is like.

Its better to start with a non runner GTi or an un-finnished track car project or something like that?

Miles

2>3 days with a std road car inc all trim, (Providing both shell's are in good condition, things like cleaning takes age's and if your like me I tend to clean everything and Powder coat everything then re-fit)

The interior only takes a few hour's as there's nothing to it.

j_turnell

I've done 2 or 3 from a bare shell, doesnt take too long tbh 2-3days if your on your own, another pair of hands speeds things up though!

All Praise The GTI

im here if you need a hand mate :D

Atari Boy

Thanks chaps, good info.

jeremy

One thing that will help reduce time considerably is to get as many parts that you can tell will need replacing before you start as this will help reduce the time wasted messing about.

Edp

Ask simes, he has a thread in car restorations, overhauls and upgrades :D

Baz

As said, the main parts not so bad, but if you're starting bare then takes a bit longer, and you can never really put an 'actual' time on it IMO other than a rough figure, as there's always things you find along the way that you want/need to sort!

Sounds like my white (now redundant) shell would be good for you Jonny!

screwloose

piss off. mine's concours.

Baz

Not you bell end, Atari boy! (Jonny!)