• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
blue_haddock

Anyone Fancy Another Trip?

blue_haddock

Been thinking after the lakes trip about another drive out somewhere.

roadtrip.jpg

Basically approx 7 to 10 days across Europe mainly to do the nurburgring, transfagarasan highway and stelvio pass with a few other places thrown in along the way

Probably looking to do this is early september as the roads are only open at certain times and it also fits in with things for me. Its approximately 3600 miles which i recon would be approx 100 gallons of fuel or thereabout plus a cheap hotel/b&b/hovel each evening.

Anyone fancy tagging along???

damien

abit late notice for me sorry. i would of needed more time to save money, book time off work etc..

also it does look like a lot of driving just for 7-10 days

blue_haddock

i dont think it would be too much driving - looking at probably going saturday to the following sunday which averages out to approx 400 miles per day which split into 2 or 3 hour stints each day wouldn't be too bad.

Cost wise it'd probably be £500 in fuel plus similar in accomadation and other spends which if split between two people wouldn't be too bad for a holiday of such length

So grab a passenger and jump on board!

marksorrento205

Im liking the idea of this Kev, we shall chat at the next meet :D

Peetypug

Would love too, but getting the wife to sign my pass to come to the meets is hard enough let alone a trip across Europe

blue_haddock

already got some interest over on PSOOC for this so who knows our trips may well be going international!

blue_haddock

Oh and we'll also possibly be within 20 miles or so of Banja Luka so could drop in to see a certain twin engined 205.....

Anthony
which averages out to approx 400 miles per day which split into 2 or 3 hour stints each day wouldn't be too bad.

Without meaning to put a dampener on things, do you realise how tough it'll be to do that sort of mileage day-in, day-out, and have time to actually do all the things that you want to do and have some contingency for the unexpected, breakdowns etc? Or to put it another way, that's further than the UK to the Nurburgring, everyday, for 7-10 days.

If you haven't already done so, it would be worth looking at last years Eurotrip which was a little less mileage in a similar timescale and in a similar area.

Cameron

100% agree! That sort of mileage might be ok for the first day or two, but you'll be very sore and very sick of driving after a few days. Generally the 'ring trips take about 5-6 hours including stops for fuel, getting lost and break-downs. You'd have to get up very early to actually make the most of your day at each destination.

I don't know about anyone else but I'd certainly want to stay for more than an afternoon at each destination.

Alan77

Agree with the above comments.

I wouldn't even contemplate driving to Romania (pothole mecca) and back, especially in a bumpy 205!

Tom Fenton

Good luck with the plans, but please do take the comments above on board. To the Ring in a day is a fair jaunt, I would personally not want to be doing that day after day.

Tesstuff

Kev, i am definitely interested in a trip involving Europe but why don't you cut the mileage and do something along the lines of including the Nurburgring, the Stelvio Pass and some other Swiss/Italian mountain routes and then do the Mille Miglia route when we come out of there.

The Mille Miglia is 1000 miles approximately and i would imagine the trip to the Ring and doing the Pass(es) would be around the same.

Cuts the mileage down a great deal and makes it more relaxed and more achievable.

Just a suggestion into the pot :)

marksorrento205
Kev, i am definitely interested in a trip involving Europe but why don't you cut the mileage and do something along the lines of including the Nurburgring, the Stelvio Pass and some other Swiss/Italian mountain routes and then do the Mille Miglia route when we come out of there.

The Mille Miglia is 1000 miles approximately and i would imagine the trip to the Ring and doing the Pass(es) would be around the same.

Cuts the mileage down a great deal and makes it more relaxed and more achievable.

Just a suggestion into the pot :)

Nice thinking Daz!!

screwloose

I know from experience that an awful lot of the roads used for Mille Miglia are actaully fairly mundane and much better can be found elsewhere.

The Stelvio, believe it or not, is also actually fairly boring just hairpin after hairpin on a failry narrow road and a clear run is hard to come by. I'd avoid doing the distance soley to say you've done the Stelvio.

The Monte Carlo Rally stage roads are fantastic. Roads in and around the Southern French Alps are generally very good including Route Napoleon (N95).

I'd echo what Anthony and others have said regarding trying to achieve 400 miles a day. Dont do it. I'd be tempted to base myself at central a location for a couple of days and go off and explore interesting routes.

blue_haddock
Agree with the above comments.

I wouldn't even contemplate driving to Romania (pothole mecca) and back, especially in a bumpy 205!

Thats the thing though - i wouldn't be doing it in a bumpy 205!!!

My main reason for doing the romanian road is Top Gear reckoned it was top notch for driving and i'm in the mood following the Lakes Trip. I realise it is a fair distance but hey you only live once!

At the moment its just an idea but one that i'd really like to do and combine it with visiting a few places i'd fancy along the way.

Baz
I know from experience that an awful lot of the roads used for Mille Miglia are actaully fairly mundane and much better can be found elsewhere.

The Stelvio, believe it or not, is also actually fairly boring just hairpin after hairpin on a failry narrow road and a clear run is hard to come by. I'd avoid doing the distance soley to say you've done the Stelvio.

The Monte Carlo Rally stage roads are fantastic. Roads in and around the Southern French Alps are generally very good including Route Napoleon (N95).

I'd echo what Anthony and others have said regarding trying to achieve 400 miles a day. Dont do it. I'd be tempted to base myself at central a location for a couple of days and go off and explore interesting routes.

:)

blue_haddock

The rough plan for each day would be something along the lines of this - breakfast @ 8am then hit the road for a few hours till say 12:30pm when you grab a couple of hours dinners and look around wherever you may be then another 3 hours or so driving. Then stop for the day and find a b&b in town and go out for a meal and a few beers.

feb

As others have said, 400 miles daily for 7 consecutive days would be too much to enjoy staying at places , it would be mostly like a race/rally.

I saw the great roads from top gear in Romania but would be very wary going there, you might not find your car the next morning.

If the trip is cut down I might be interested.

DrSarty

It's horrible to see such enthusiasm greeted with what could be perceived as warnings or dampers, but these guys are right.

As the 'organisor' so to speak of the EuroTrip last year, trust me that 3,000 in 10 days was simply too much.

Don't get me wrong: it's truly doable, even in a 205 as we did it. But it included several long, deliberate trips up motorways to get the distance in and to buy us a complete day off at the 'Ring. Really it was the walkie-talkies that helped get over the motorway boredom.

This is why 3,600 miles in as little as 7 days, would simply mean no time to really enjoy things and being bollocks'd at the end of each day.

If you were to do this, then 14 days would be much more manageable, although you would still need a few motorway plods.

On that basis, if you do one of the suggested shorter trips I guarantee I'll be with you. Evo II will need a good shake down.

Also: how about doing Scandic Scramble with me and we push it from June to August? There's a thread in here, and is about 1,800 miles in a week which is much more doable, as I can say that from experience. I still may go Sweden in June to meet our Scandanavian friends at the Sturup raceway if you or anyone else wants to come.

Edited by DrSarty

blue_haddock

scandic scramble doesnt interest me at all - i've been there before and the roads dont interest me.

Nothing is set in stone as yet and yes i may even look at doing it over a fortnight with a few days off here and there but i do think its do-able in 9 days. I think the bigger group slows things down and so a small group of maybe 5 cars would be ideal.

blue_haddock

right following our group meet the other day i've looked at thing again and the new plan looks something like this.

eurotrip.jpg

The plan would be to meet in Dover on the friday night then catch an early ferry on the saturday and a trip down through france. before heading across to Italy and the Stelvio Pass. From here its up though the swiss mountains to Germany and the infamous Nurburgring before proceeding back to blighty.

Planned sights would be the millau bridge, the french riveria, the ferrari/lambo museums and then the mercedes and porsche museums in stuttgart. I'd also plan on visiting luxembourg and liechtenstein just because i want to!

This will probably now take place at some point next year now.

marksorrento205

Kev,

I like it :) and at just over 2,200 miles it aint that bad spread over 7 - 10 days :) Good effort matey.