• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
205*31*

Won't Run Now... :(

205*31*

Ok following on from thread titled "nightmare today". Yesterday I took merlins advice took of the ign amp cleaned it up and applied some fresh heatsink compound but it back on car, while I was there decided to mount the sad properly as this was just hanging in engine bay so put it in its original place managed to get 1 bolt in gave up on other no chance :ph34r:

I then put dizzy to its original timing as I had it slightly advanced, put original ht leads on, checked battery terminals and also alternator area and belt looked nice and tight.

This morning come to start it and took ages to fire again just cranking over then suddenly started coming to life but revs started rising very slow then would shoot up and it sounded awful like lots of misfiring and the smoke out of back was tremendous loads of it, also the revs in car were doing what they were doing when it died other day jumping erractly and it won't idle straight away let of throttle just died on me.

what the hell is going on?? has the dizzy had it then or is it ign amp or something else?. Oh btw I put the ht leads on that were newish to try and it still did same smoking like hell.

M@tt

try retracking your AFM

basically pop the cover off your AFM and ever so gently bend the sweeping arm which sweeps over the resistive surface so that it travels over some fresh resistive material. Overtime they wear a groove int he surface which can lead to erratic readings and therefore erratic running

205*31*
try retracking your AFM

basically pop the cover off your AFM and ever so gently bend the sweeping arm which sweeps over the resistive surface so that it travels over some fresh resistive material. Overtime they wear a groove int he surface which can lead to erratic readings and therefore erratic running

i'll try that matt cheers :)

205*31*

what bit do you mean here matt?

post-15249-1269625518_thumb.jpg

Edited by 205*31*

steve@cornwall
what bit do you mean here matt?

Check the blue double plug above where you have mounted the SAD - sounds like you may have dislodged the imfamous ecu temperature sender

kilauea

Sounds a lot like mine after the rebuild. The thread is about somewhere.

Mine was a knackered dizzy.

M@tt

there you go mate

post-3557-1269635298_thumb.jpg

205*31*
Check the blue double plug above where you have mounted the SAD - sounds like you may have dislodged the imfamous ecu temperature sender

you got me thinking there steve cause my ecu temp plug is very bodged need a new connector but its ok for minute.

Just started it jesus first it revs wouldn't go over 1k again that shot up and exhaust was farting and popping and it sounded very dodgy revs didn't seem to be jumping but rising slowly then as i said pop and fart.

Also earlier I took the dizzy of to have a look and the little turning bit that goes into rocker had quite abit movement in and out, this bad? does it matter how the dizzy connects back took me awhile to get it on but I did and timing still same matched up.

so what you all think? dizzy?

Tom Fenton

The temp sender plug is easy to put right. New plastic housing and terminals available from Vehicle Wiring Products, and I have a de-pinning tool to get the wires out of the old housing.

I will have a look in my box of 8v stuff tomorrow and let you know what I have that you can try.

Edited by Tom Fenton

steve@cornwall
you got me thinking there steve cause my ecu temp plug is very bodged need a new connector but its ok for minute.

Just started it jesus first it revs wouldn't go over 1k again that shot up and exhaust was farting and popping and it sounded very dodgy revs didn't seem to be jumping but rising slowly then as i said pop and fart.

Also earlier I took the dizzy of to have a look and the little turning bit that goes into rocker had quite abit movement in and out, this bad? does it matter how the dizzy connects back took me awhile to get it on but I did and timing still same matched up.

so what you all think? dizzy?

Reading the above, are you sure the ht leads have gone back in the right order? - some good threads with pictures of the order on dizzy cap on here someplace

205*31*
Reading the above, are you sure the ht leads have gone back in the right order? - some good threads with pictures of the order on dizzy cap on here someplace

sure they are right order. cylinder one closest to gearbox I gather and on dizzy top left closest to rocker 1 next to it 3 underneath 1 is 2 and underneath 3 is 4.

205*31*
The temp sender plug is easy to put right. New plastic housing and terminals available from Vehicle Wiring Products, and I have a de-pinning tool to get the wires out of the old housing.

I will have a look in my box of 8v stuff tomorrow and let you know what I have that you can try.

nice one thanks a lot tom :)

Henry Yorke

I was thinking plug lead order too when i read down this. We spent ages trying to get M@tts CTI to start to discover it was that! They were originally on the wrong order before he got it as a non runner!

205*31*

ok while scouting around engine bay recently I came across this green wire with a spaded connector around the alternator area sempt to be tucked under inlet manifold, what is it? should it be connected?

post-15249-1269691624_thumb.jpg

205*31*

update. I had a look today and noticed the hose that goes from plenum chamber to the distributor was quite perished so took this of, also did some wiring with battery and the ecu temp sensor to make them abit better and neater. Got some blue silicone hose from halfords for the plenum was a good fit actually connected all this up double checked all connections looked good.

I started it up and it actually sempt to fire quicker than normal but the revs were low again for a sec then suddenly rev hard but it was popping and missing badly and omg the fumes unbelieveable! I have had complaints from people round my back starting her up and smell and I can see there point smell of fuel is cronic! :(

It eventually settled down and was actually idling without cutting out and engine didn't sound too bad but the smell of fuel is very bad, suddenly got out while running and saw smoke coming from round back where exhaust manifold is left it awhile but didn't seem to be disapating it looked like it was coming through the exhaust manifold. I thought it might be water or something or oil on had a big downpour of rain recently here but not 100% sure.

Oh yes and it didn't seem to be smoking anywhere near as bad which I guess is a good thing :) haven't taken it for a test drive yet abit weary to be honest ;) I was wondering if anyone local to me fancys popping over tomorrow or something to have a gander and see what they think :) would be really grateful make you a cuppa :) be nice to have some experienced fingers :)

Is there anyway I can get it run less rich cause its terrible really.

any thoughts?

Edited by 205*31*

grandos

I know it sounds stupid but have you left the AFM connector un-plugged?

Its just I have done this myself after replacing the valve stem seals only to find the engine runs rough and practically pours neat fuel out the exhaust.

205*31*
I know it sounds stupid but have you left the AFM connector un-plugged?

Its just I have done this myself after replacing the valve stem seals only to find the engine runs rough and practically pours neat fuel out the exhaust.

Hi Grandos no not stupid at all ;) but I generally always double check my connections and with these engines I think you are very wise to do this so many bloody hoses and connections :) but yes it is defo connected :)

steve@cornwall
Is there anyway I can get it run less rich cause its terrible really.

any thoughts?

See post #5 :D

205*31*

ok the guy that has my gti in garage has noticed how bad it is at starting in terms of taking ages to fire just cranking over he tells me he thinks its the SAD thats at fault, could it be this? Its been tested and the sad isn't closing once engine is warm, but would the SAD cause it to take ages to fire up?

cheers.

tagy

I don't think the SAD will cause it not to fire like you describe. Have you actually tested the ECU temp sensor is OK?

205*31*
I don't think the SAD will cause it not to fire like you describe. Have you actually tested the ECU temp sensor is OK?

well I haven't tested it but I know when its disconnected it won't fire properly and smokes like a good un from exhaust so I guess that means it working as it will eventually fire once connected.

205*31*

well I spoke again to my mate at garage and he says he had it hooked upto his emissions tester other day and was getting a reading of 6% :P i gather 1.5% is whats mot requires knew it was running rich but christ :o

He said it wouldn't let him adjust the co2? I am thinking it could be a knackered afm?

jackherer
well I haven't tested it but I know when its disconnected it won't fire properly and smokes like a good un from exhaust so I guess that means it working as it will eventually fire once connected.

That doesn't prove it is working, it just confirms it is connected and doing something... I would definitely try changing the temp sensor before sourcing a new AFM.

205*31*
That doesn't prove it is working, it just confirms it is connected and doing something... I would definitely try changing the temp sensor before sourcing a new AFM.

ok so most likely causes for high emissions from my searching on here is either CTS or AFM. He is going to a rally this weekend and someone he knows is in a 205 brings loads of spares with him so he's gonna half inch some to test :o

If it wouldn't let him adjust the co2 though with idle mixture screw then looking on here it most likely means afm is foo bar and also possibly cts. The high emissions probably explains why it kangaroo's its ass of in traffic etc... :P

Sign in to follow this