• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
MARKMI16

Top End Track Spec Suspension?

MARKMI16

Hi,

I hope this is the right place for a query such as this?

I'm looking at fitting top end track suspension to my track day prep'd 205 MI16 ; the choice so far is KW Competition 2way or a custom built Nitron set up with either 2 or 3 way adjustment.

Does anyone have experience of these top end kits or any any other kits that could be viable?

Thanks,

Mark.

welshpug

AST I know have done 205 stuff, Jon Murgie used to have a 205 with a set, as has Miles iirc on a race car, I've experienced a set of the sportline kit on a 306 Rallye, also Andy Gwynne has their remote reservoir dampers on his S1600 Saxo Kitcar.

Very nice quality kit, speak to Curtis on 01684 275000 or 07951 269927, have a chat about what you're looking for, also don't forget to spec your torsion bars to suit.

http://www.astsuspension.co.uk/

MARKMI16
AST I know have done 205 stuff, Jon Murgie used to have a 205 with a set, as has Miles iirc on a race car, I've experienced a set of the sportline kit on a 306 Rallye, also Andy Gwynne has their remote reservoir dampers on his S1600 Saxo Kitcar.

Very nice quality kit, speak to Curtis on 01684 275000 or 07951 269927, have a chat about what you're looking for, also don't forget to spec your torsion bars to suit.

http://www.astsuspension.co.uk/

Thanks welshpug. AST was my 1st choice from day 1 when I started spec'ing the car, but Curtis W is absolutley useless and couldn't even be bothered to help me, return my calls or keep to his delivery date promises, so after waiting 7 weeks for the AST kit to arrive, I ended up going for GAZ Gold just to get the car on track. Anyway, maybe AST is worth another look....

When you say torsion bar spec, do you mean rear beam mounts and ARB's?, if so I have group N mounts and 21mm ARB's already fitted; is there something else I can do here?

Mark.

welshpug

I meant specifically the torsion bars, there have been a few discussions recently on here about the spring rates of the different sizes available, and what kind of front spring rate a given rear one would suit, a search should bring them up easily enough.

Of course its down to personal preference at the end of the day, and how you want the car to behave.

I have heard that about AST, unfortunately Curtis is a one man band for the UK arm and has spent a lot of time out of the country recently, I remember you mentioning that a while ago now, a shame as its a good product!

If you get no luck getting hold of him let me know, I know someone that works fairly local and has known Curtis for a few years.

Batfink

Delivery dates are completely rubbish which spoils things and makes selling them difficult. AST are one of my weekly headaches..Their products are top notch, just let down by other factors. Curtis needs others working for him as his time is spent between developing products and selling them which currently does not work too well. He's well and truly got too much work and too little time.

Edited by Batfink

welshpug

maybe Curtis should give me a job answering the phone :rolleyes:

Batfink
maybe Curtis should give me a job answering the phone :rolleyes:

Yes please! As long as you can put orders in with the factory too :lol:

brumster

If you're after top-of-the-line, then there is another option.

I've just this week gone Reiger up front. Andy Baker, who's ran AST for quite some time, has worked out a tarmac spec arrangement up front specifically with Reiger (he deals with them already on a Fiesta ST he maintains) that provides as much travel as he can squeeze in there. His experience was positive with AST's but I think he basically had to replace them anyway, and when you factor in the Reiger pedigree - well, it's the old addage, you get what you pay for.

Like I say, I've only just had them put on this Tuesday just gone - and Andy hasn't got them on his car yet - but I'll be giving them a competitive pasting at Caerwent in just over a week, so I can comment then. A lot of the rallycross boys use the Reiger kit, I believe.

Certainly just on the drive back home from Andy's unit, it felt so supple and compliant on high-frequency ripples in the road, the car immediately felt better.

If you give Andy a ring I'm sure he can talk to you of the benefits of AST too. For me I was all ready to go AST myself, but then Andy said for the 'few quid' more I can go Reiger and these long-travel beauties, which he believes are about the ultimate tarmac setup (the top mounts have to go on TOP of the strut plates to get the extra travel; bonnet clearance issues on standard bonnets WOULD be a problem, I'll warn you now).

Otherwise I'm sure you'll be more than happy with the AST's, most people have good words for them.

Edited by brumster

MARKMI16
I meant specifically the torsion bars, there have been a few discussions recently on here about the spring rates of the different sizes available, and what kind of front spring rate a given rear one would suit, a search should bring them up easily enough.

Of course its down to personal preference at the end of the day, and how you want the car to behave.

I have heard that about AST, unfortunately Curtis is a one man band for the UK arm and has spent a lot of time out of the country recently, I remember you mentioning that a while ago now, a shame as its a good product!

If you get no luck getting hold of him let me know, I know someone that works fairly local and has known Curtis for a few years.

I actually wrote a strongly worded letter to the MD of AST in Holland explaining the issues I had with Curtis, and the fact that him being a one-man-band is having a very negative effect on the AST product being sold into the UK market. I has a call from a nice dutch chap in reponse to my letter, and basically they totally understand what's going on but can't (or won't) doing anything about it....

It's been said; bluddy good product.....IF you can get it!

I'm tempted with a custom Nitron setup, but I really have to understand what I want from the cars handling before I commit to a 2k suspension kit.

brumster
Otherwise I'm sure you'll be more than happy with the AST's, most people have good words for them.

By this I mean the functionality of them; not a comment necessarily on the service. I have heard similar mutterings from others but didn't feel it was my place to comment, not having experienced it first hand.

Miles

It's been like that with AST since the early 1990's when they first came around, As said shame as the product it good bar the rear's which I hope have now changed.

EdCherry

How about Penske or Ohlin? Be my first port of call if I had the money.

davidc

Have you considered the 2-way or 3-way AVO Monotube units...the proper competition ones with remote reservoirs ?

A friend of mine helped Nigel at AVO to develop them for the AX/106 with great results.....it would be worth a phone call to Nigel at AVO just to discuss it with him.

Cheers,

David

oli-pug

Intrax have dampers listed for the 205 too, but not remote reservoir units.

MARKMI16

Right...decision made. I'm going for Ohlins, although they come in slightly over budget, it makes sense to fit these as my tuner was trained by and worked for Ohlins, so he know's the product and most of all know's my car.

The kit will be a 2 way with remote reservoir.

Thanks for the feedback chaps, it did help.

Mark.

davidc
Right...decision made. I'm going for Ohlins, although they come in slightly over budget, it makes sense to fit these as my tuner was trained by and worked for Ohlins, so he know's the product and most of all know's my car.

The kit will be a 2 way with remote reservoir.

Thanks for the feedback chaps, it did help.

Mark.

What sort of price does a full set up of Ohlins cost for the 205 ?

Cheers,

David

MARKMI16
What sort of price does a full set up of Ohlins cost for the 205 ?

Cheers,

David

Hi David,

Price TBC next week, but 3 to 3.5k??? I can pm you the quote if you wish?

Mark.

kyepan

if you're thinking of spending that much, it might be worth considering a colin satchel turreted rear and tweaked front end geometry, there are some vids knocking about showing one of his cars monstering round a sprint, no understeer. I'm not sure exactly how much he charges.. he is on here as eyore (as in winne the pooh)

0:44 seconds for lack of understeer.

J

Edited by kyepan

welshpug

IIRC this is one of Colins contributions

Batfink

Thats certainly one of Colins cars :lol: goes rather nice

MARKMI16

very very impressive 205!

davidc

It certainly handles well.....goes round that tight track like its on rails !!

Whats the spec of it ? Any more pics ?

Cheers,

David

Batfink
It certainly handles well.....goes round that tight track like its on rails !!

Whats the spec of it ? Any more pics ?

Cheers,

David

Its got a wide track tubular wishbone front end with turreted rears. I'd imagine its got Gaz on as Colin quite likes them for their price. I cannot remember what the engine was in this. Its possibly a 1.8 but with a custom cam profile - sandy will know the details!

Rear will be similar to this

IMG_0029.jpg

note Kyepan looking thoughtful in the background

IMG_0031.jpg

front wishbones like this

IMG_0027.jpg

welshpug

I think its an SRD Mi16, sounds very different to any Mi16 I've ever heard before.

davidc
I think its an SRD Mi16, sounds very different to any Mi16 I've ever heard before.

Pardon my ignorance but.....what is SRD ???

Cheers,

David