• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest martymcfly

Fuel Pump Not Priming

Guest martymcfly

Purchased a 205 tonight after a long time in the wilderness. It cranks well and has a spark but the fuel pump does not prime (seem to remember in my old ones there was a whirr when the key was turned)

Is there anyway to test the pump or getting going again. Car has been stood for about a year so think it may just be seized.

Any help much appreciated

welshpug

you need to ascertain that its actually getting power to the pump or not. (check at the fuse if its easier, closest to the driver in the fusebox)

Main culprit of issues like this, especially when you do have spark, is the tachymetric relay.

Guest martymcfly

cheers, is that relay in the fusebox? the tank was run dry I believe so may be that the pump just needs a prod.

fusebox iirc is on the drivers side isnt it?

Baz

No, passenger side in the glovebox.

Guest martymcfly

cheers all, hoping to get back over the weekend to get it shifted off of the guys driveway

Is there a way to direct wire the pump to test while in situ without damaging it?

Baz

Yes, as long as the wiring itself from the fuse to the pump is fine, you can give the fuseholder a live feed to test the pump.

welshpug

What year is the car? the relay could be in the engine bay if its an early one, or from about late 87 they're next to the ecu, above the drivers right knee.

fusebox is in the glovebox.

Guest martymcfly

its an E reg, is that an '86 model?

Just want to get it fired up so will check the fuses etc. It was running fine till it was laid up so muct be something sticking.

kyepan

buy a fifteen pound liquid filled pressure gauge, a spare length of hose put it inline on the fuel rail, and check.. it's the only way to be sure...

Guest martymcfly

is it safe to touch a positive/negative battery feed on the pump to see if it whirrs into life? it does not make a noise when the key is turned. Will check the fuses and relay this weekend to see if I can get it fired up

Turned the car over and over but no smell of fuel, has a spark so must be fuel.

Guest martymcfly
is it safe to touch a positive/negative battery feed on the pump to see if it whirrs into life? it does not make a noise when the key is turned. Will check the fuses and relay this weekend to see if I can get it fired up

Turned the car over and over but no smell of fuel, has a spark so must be fuel.

oonip

Agh my god damn car lets me down at the worst possible time!!!!

Anyway after doing alot of searching i'm fairly sure its the tachy relay as i cant hear the pump prime, thinking back it was tricky to start a few days ago when i took the bike to work and it was sat for over 24 hours, same scenario today but this time wont start at all.

Car has spark good afm, coil, plugs leads etc etc.

How much are these tachy relays and are they readily available?

my car is a 89F is this the relay in the engine bay?

12122009051.jpg

oonip

just found the relay by the ECU, should i distinctly hear it clicking or the fuel pump priming when i turn ignition on? or do have to listen very carefully?

p.s. sorry for the thread hi jack but i figured it was related!

Cheers

Guest martymcfly

no worries sounds like we have the same issue.

Managed to tow my car to my dads after purchase, battery is on charge and going to get the electrical tester out to see if I have live feed to fuel pump. Fuse is intact, trying to find the relay like yourself.

Good to see your a biker too. ZX7R owner myself, just waiting for the weather to improve

Edited by martymcfly

oonip

hmm update:

I can hear the relay clicking, so i am going to assume that means its working, i can only hear it with my head close to it (can i assume that i cant just hear it trying to work? should it be loudish?)

I still cant hear the fuel pump prime though, my problem is i dont know how loud (or remember hearing it before) it should be?

oonip

i have had the multi meter out and have found as follows...

The relay seems to have 4 permanent lives to it, and two that switch to 0v when the ignition is on. Is this correct?

More importantly, the fuel pump does not have any voltage to it unless the engine is cranking, so 0v with ignition on... is this correct?

P_Monty

If its like mine, the tachy relay has numbers on the side, telling you which pin is which there are a few, but the main ones are:

30 - permanent 12V

31 - earth

15 - switched 12V

87 - output to pump etc

(some of these may have an a or b after them - its still the same). Check with a meter (or bulb and a couple of bits of wire) to see if that looks correct.

If you're feeling brave, take the fuel hose off the injector rail and put the end in a glass jar. Petrol will dribble out at first as there should be some in the pipe and gush out at quite rate when you crank the engine (might be a good idea to put out the ciggy before trying this...)

Guest martymcfly

Sorted mine !!

Was the pump as suspected £30 quid later from a breakers and it started first turn of the key. Had not been started in 14 months !!! all sounded sweet no rattles or bangs so the project moves forward

Hope you get yours sorted too

welshpug

you found a gti in a breakers yard? B)

Guest martymcfly

Yes

They have a whole car there plus bits and bobs. The car is intact and not in bad nick at all. May be heading back to get the drivers door as mine is a bit ratty and possibly the radiator dependant on whether the one I have holds water or not.

It also has the badges on that I am missing so may grab those while I am there