• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
skinner2k3

High Mileage Tu Engines

skinner2k3

A mate at work has asked how well 1.1 peugeot engines age, assuming they have been serviced correctly.

I am guessing it's a 1124cc TU??? (I know sod all about TUs). Its is a 206 and has done 133'000 miles.

Actually, it's a black 5 door in Devizes, anyone on here?????

Cheers

Ben

johnnyboy666

i've had 1.4 tu's go way over 160k :) then again i had one die at 80k (but that one was poorly looked after prior to my ownership) so depends on how well looked after it is!

you can pick up tu engines relatively cheaply so not the end of the world if its a dud

swordfish210

Mine had done 160k when i rebuilt it and i'm still using the original big end bearings. They hadn't worn enough to warrant replacing them.

badj

as mentioned it depends on how well its been looked after.

For example, if at 50k someone ran the engine with low oil for a period, it will dramatically reduce the working life of the engine.

Generally though as long as an engine is maintained correctly it shouldn't really suffer and should keep going, counting head gaskets as a serviceable item of course.

As a rule though, I've always found in the past that high mileage cars have always been more reliable than low mileage ones (if they're over 10 y/o.).

This can be down to a few things but generally if a car gets used only for short journeys constantly then there can be more chance of wear as the oil doesn't get hot enough to lubricate and filter properly, whereas if a car is doing 100+ miles a day then provided it gets maintained correctly it should be cleaner and 'healthier'.

Jrod

173k and the engine was removed, still running fine though. :D

28CRAIG

My 1.4 is on about 230k and does about 2k a month at the moment and as far a i know has only had one head gasket.

Guest neilrocks

My TU3 K1G is on 130k still pulls ok but, I'm pretty sure the rings are well worn, using oil and smoking quite a bit, lucky I know the MOT man!

Got to agree, that essentially if an engine is maintained correctly it should go practically forever (provided a worn part doesn't cause another more major issue! (like the conrod coming out the front of the block on my Toyota corolla! *BOOM*!))

Edited by neilrocks

AndyJ

Both my TUs went to 150k almost on the nose before the cars died of other causes, both had head gaskets go, one had valve oil seals and the dizzy vacuum capsule go, but neither had any kind of major mechanical wear that was noticeable. I'd imagine a 1.1 might do even better as it probably wont have been ragged so much.

Guest neilrocks
I'd imagine a 1.1 might do even better as it probably wont have been ragged so much.

I reckon you're right, with a 1.1 there's no point trying but, with a 1.4 you might as well have a go and then you really do try hard!

I do beat the s*it out of mine.... mainly cause it's not great condition and I want a solid excuse to change the engine! Ha! Only ever blown up one engine and that was an old Toyota corolla, f*** me did it go BANG! Ha, most amusing moment as I was actually close enough to coast home leaving a HUGE cloud of oil smoke behind me!(<< and where I live, that doesn't matter!)

Edited by neilrocks