• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
dave_6785

Looking At Engine Upgrade From 1.1 To 1.4

dave_6785

I'm now looking into getting a 1.4 carb engine to upgrade my 1990 1.1 205, understanding that a tu from an xr is heavier and less powerful than the tu from an xs or axgt what are the best mods for either engine?? the TU3S seems harder to find and more expensive so thats why i'm looking into both engines as they're direct replacements giving better performance before being tweaked and modified

post-15314-1268604184.jpg

Edited by dave_6785

Sandy

The XS engine is better to start with and has better gearbox ratios.

dave_6785

My boss's brother of all people is dismantling an xs, mechanically sound, cosmetically poor. I've first dibs on whatever is good on the car, as mine has the standard 1.1 engine and the only upgrades being a pipercross induction what would i need from the xs for the engine to drop straight in and run sweet?? is there any other parts from the xs i should nick while i'm at it?? front will be set up with 1.6gti pads, disks and calipers and sachs struts so i dont have to worry about those. Am picking up an xs engine without the head for for free as spares just in case.

Sandy

Bring the engine in wholesale, the carb and dizzy are specific to the TU3S etc.

dave_6785
Bring the engine in wholesale, the carb and dizzy are specific to the TU3S etc.

Thats why i ask, i know next to nothing about engine (half the reason i'm gettin the spare engine as a toy/spares).

Specifically what would i need, obv. the complete engine, the carbutettor, distribution cap as you said. What about manifolds etc...

Need a 'i want the engine with....' list to go back to him for a price lol.

And what about the gearbox side of things, will the engine mate straight onto the 1.1 box without ripping it apart??

Edited by dave_6785

welshpug

basically everything, inc the gearbox manifolds downpipe etc.

best to buy the whole car off him really!

burr_2000

yeah just open the bonnet and say you want everything in there. pretty much what you listed (yes both manifolds).

remeber to get the exhaust downpipe!

steve@cornwall

Just as long as it's not an early XS - with the older (XY?) engine- change over through d-reg I believe

dave_6785

Ye, i realised that as i was looking at 1.4 carb engine codes, Just the TU3S from a post 88 i think. Dont have anywhere to store the whole car, the parts are gunna end up in my Cupboard in my room in barracks temporarily ( Its a big enough cupboard lol)

Wouldnt have even thought of the downpipe. (will this match up to the rest of the exhaust on my 1.1?)

-complete engine inc.

>Inlet and exhaust manifold

>Carburettor

>Gearbox

>Distribution cap

Anything else i'm missing??

What'd be a fair price to pay for it all??

drmo

All the older type (pre 2000) TU engine exhaust manifolds are the same, so don't bother with that. You can use your dizzy, but it won't run at its best. You need the whole engine with intake manifold and carb (solex double carb). You can use your gearbox, but most likely the xs one will be shorter (14/60 fd).

dave_6785
All the older type (pre 2000) TU engine exhaust manifolds are the same, so don't bother with that. You can use your dizzy, but it won't run at its best. You need the whole engine with intake manifold and carb (solex double carb). You can use your gearbox, but most likely the xs one will be shorter (14/60 fd).

So my 1.1 exhaust manifold will be a straight fit then.

Will the 1.1 give better fuel economy them being longer ratios?? and if it does will it stay in one peice when i tackle the B roads with the 1.4 in??

How easy is it to strip an engine (without head) for a complete and utter novice, picking up on friday and wanna know my way round the TU engine so i'm getting this free to start :-)

burr_2000

like what we are saying you need the downpipe cause the 1.1 is a shorter block. a hayne manual is a must for you.

dave_6785

lol, I've got one....