• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Gavin Waddell

Ebay Turbos

Gavin Waddell

ive been a member on the forum for few years now, and well i think that the wealth of knowledge of people on her is quite outstanding: basically i bought myself an Audi a4 as a towing car for my peugeot and want to change the turbo, its the 150bhp model, now im wanting to upgrade to a K03s or K04 turbo and remap. I was wondering if any one had any experiance of buying what seems to be cheap chinese turbos off ebay, i mean 250quid is cheap for a turbo is it going to be a pile of cack? Or am i better of buying an original, or a second hand turbo and reconditioning it? Any comments are welcome

Gavin

badj

I've seen them first hand - 'grahamrally' on here (though he doesnt come on any more) bought what was meant to be a garrett recently from a reputable shop, and ended up with what was blatently a chinese knock off. You can really tell.

You get what you pay for. Lets just say that spending a little more will save a lot more if and when the cheap turbo breaks...

blue_haddock

Just remember that the turbo will be spinning at something 250k revs per minute. when it blows there is a fair chance it will send large amounts of debris into the engine. This will mean a new engine and tuebo and lots of hassle.

I wouldn't trust a knock off chinky turbo - it would be a bit like playing cricket with a grenade!

twoker1986

talking about turbos does any of u no what fit on a 1.6 gti engine if so message me thanks

badj

?????

A turbo is a turbo. You could fit any number of turbos to any number of engines. Its not quite as simple as plonking a blower on it, you have to consider the exhaust manifold, management, what sort of setup (i.e. high boost, low comp; low boost; standard comp) - this will affect how much you'd have to spend or change.

pablo

cheap turbos are rubbish apparantly, glued together and basically fall apart. Especially when getting one for "tuning" puproses its a false economy.