• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest neilrocks

A Little Help Please! 1360 Tu3?

Guest neilrocks

Hi chaps!

So, it goes like this; I've got a 1989 205xr (not standard) and I've been trying to figure out exactly which version of the TU3 engine I have.

I think i've done as much searching as possible to try and discover my answer but, either I'm dumb or I'm missing something.

This is what all the info says:

(copied from a table)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-

87-88 / XR,GR,SR,CJ(convertible) / TU3-K1A / 1360 / Carb / 60

-

87-88 / XR,GR,SR,CJ(convertible) / TU3-K1D / 1360 / Carb emmisioncode: S6 / 60

-

87-88 / XS,XT / TU3S-K2A / 1360 / Carb / 80

-

87-88 / XS,XT / TU3S-K2B / 1360 / Carb emmisioncode: S6 / 80

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Right, so that's all fine and that but, here's a photo of my actual engine code plate:

11032010925.jpg

So what's that "K1G" all about, should it not be K1A??

Please, someone sort me out!

Cheers

Neil.

Sandy

K1G is also known as "TU3A", base model engine.

RossD

Yep, as Sandy said, the K1G replaced the K1A in about 1989, it gave about 5bhp more and slightly more torque than the K1A. I think it was an emissions related change as the carb seems to be the only major change on the engine.

Guest neilrocks

Cheers for the help guys!

Nice to have that cleared up finally.

So is the cam still the only real difference between the TU3-A and the TU3-S? How come the K1G had slightly better figures than the K1A? What generations of the TU3 were used in the 106, did the 106 ever use the TU3S head/cam + is the block the same?

Basically, my engine (TU3A; as we now know) is on about 130k and it's getting pretty loose now. I'm pretty sure the rings need doing, the tappets are very rattly and the clutch is making some very interesting noises! Oh and the HG leaks.

So, I'm trying to find the BEST option for an engine replacement. If I'm going to the trouble of swapping engines, I might as well use the best one possible right? I've been on the lookout for a complete TU3S from either a 205 XS or AX GT but, is it worth considering anything in the 106 engine range? (considering I DON'T want to change capacity or to injection). A friend is a scrap merchant and gets A LOT of 106's his way so potentially I could have a good choice.

Any help appreciated muchly!

Cheers!

badj

You could look at either the 1.3 rallye (phase 1 106) or the 1.4 XSi (in 106's pre 1995 i think?) as they are both around 100 bhp in injection form and would fit in and can be carb'd, although how they respond to carbs I don't know, perhaps a search might help.

Guest neilrocks
You could look at either the 1.3 rallye (phase 1 106) or the 1.4 XSi (in 106's pre 1995 i think?) as they are both around 100 bhp in injection form and would fit in and can be carb'd, although how they respond to carbs I don't know, perhaps a search might help.

Cheers for that, I'll have a search around but, has anyone else got an idea or opinion as well?

Cheers lads.

Edited by neilrocks

Guest neilrocks

Do you know any other differences between the 106 version compared to the 205 versions? Is the cam in the 106 head comparable to the 205XS (TU3S) or is it the same as the TU3A and thus injection being the only difference in producing that extra power?

Cheers

badj

No, its the carbs that make the difference I think. I beleive both are just bored out 1.1's with higher lift and/or longer duration cams, basically.

The 106 rallye is a TU2J2 with fuel injection and a cat (100bhp), and the 205 rallye is a TU24 with 102bhp in twin carb form...

...HOWEVER... If you want the twin carb rallye, the UK isn't the place to find it. They were Euro spec. Us brits got a poverty spec XS engine (about 80bhp i think?).

So the 205 twin carb rallye would be a good bet - If you could find one of them engines, but I doubt you would to be honest - Hence why the 106 rallye or xsi engine would be better and cheaper (however with injection).

Edited by badj

RossD

UK rallye was based on the lower spec TU3, i.e XR spec not XS. This means 65 - 70bhp, not 85bhp!

Guest neilrocks
UK rallye was based on the lower spec TU3, i.e XR spec not XS. This means 65 - 70bhp, not 85bhp!

Yeah, that was roughly my thinking. Check the engine numbers here>>>>> http://peugeot.mainspot.net/engines.shtml

So, I was just looking at the numbers and what the the options with the 106 XSI then? It's a TU-3-FJ.2Z, 1360cc, EFI Bosch Motronic, 95BHP. So does anyone know (not have an idea) what the cam is like in that version? Is it the same cam as the TU3S? Or to put it another way, if I were to remove the EFI from 106 XSI and use the Solex Z2 (as used on 205XS) what BHP should it produce (figuratively of course).

No, its the carbs that make the difference I think. I beleive both are just bored out 1.1's with higher lift and/or longer duration cams, basically.

The 106 rallye is a TU2J2 with fuel injection and a cat (100bhp), and the 205 rallye is a TU24 with 102bhp in twin carb form...

...HOWEVER... If you want the twin carb rallye, the UK isn't the place to find it. They were Euro spec. Us brits got a poverty spec XS engine (about 80bhp i think?).

So the 205 twin carb rallye would be a good bet - If you could find one of them engines, but I doubt you would to be honest - Hence why the 106 rallye or xsi engine would be better and cheaper (however with injection).

Cheers dude but, the 106 Rallye is a 1.6 TU5J2 (1587cc) is it not? and the 205 Rallye was 1.3 TU 24 (1294cc) not 1.4 (1360cc).

I am intrigued by the 106XSI though, if anyone can show comparative cam figures for both the 205XS & the 106XSI, i would probably spunk my pants!!

GeorgeXS
Cheers dude but, the 106 Rallye is a 1.6 TU5J2 (1587cc) is it not? and the 205 Rallye was 1.3 TU 24 (1294cc) not 1.4 (1360cc).

I am intrigued by the 106XSI though, if anyone can show comparative cam figures for both the 205XS & the 106XSI, i would probably spunk my pants!!

Series 2 rallyes were 1.6's, however series 1's were TU2J2 ie 1294 cc

Get ready for a pant change my friend :lol:

http://i705.photobucket.com/albums/ww59/Ge...Cam_Timings.jpg

Guest neilrocks

Ooo, just gave myself the "double spunk"!!

http://www.suzukituning.com/PSA/TU3Tuning/TU3Tuning.htm (forgot about this site for some reason)

Thinking this might help me out a bit as well. At least knowing the specific engine type codes & hp should make it easier to narrow down a possible doner.

Cheers for the help lads!

RossD

Mr GeorgeXS, that spreadsheet picture you've got was originally created by me.... Did you pinch it from my photobucket site?! :ph34r:

I don't mind people using it, but I wouldn't mind some credit seeing as it took me a while to research all that data.

Rant over.

Edited by RossD

GeorgeXS
Mr GeorgeXS, that spreadsheet picture you've got was originally created by me.... Did you pinch it from my photobucket site?! :huh:

I don't mind people using it, but I wouldn't mind some credit seeing as it took me a while to research all that data.

Rant over.

:) i knew it was from someone on the forum, i just couldnt remember who.

Yep all credit due to you tis a useful spreadsheet image!!

Guest neilrocks
:D i knew it was from someone on the forum, i just couldnt remember who.

Yep all credit due to you tis a useful spreadsheet image!!

...oooo it's on!

drmo

Rallye and xsi cams don't fit in TU3S and lower spec engines, becose of different cam bearing sizes!

There is a lot written regarding this topic, so use a search or scroll down in "TU Engine & Gearbox, Maintainence & Modifications".

Xsi/rallye cams are also a lot wilder in duration and lift. 1.4 xsi 10,3mm lift 270°duration, 1.3/1.6rallye/xsi 10,6mm lift 270° duration.

Guest neilrocks
Rallye and xsi cams don't fit in TU3S and lower spec engines, becose of different cam bearing sizes!

There is a lot written regarding this topic, so use a search or scroll down in "TU Engine & Gearbox, Maintainence & Modifications".

Xsi/rallye cams are also a lot wilder in duration and lift. 1.4 xsi 10,3mm lift 270°duration, 1.3/1.6rallye/xsi 10,6mm lift 270° duration.

Cheers for the info dude. If I was thinking of using an XSi engine, it would be the whole thing but, run on carb (if possible).

Also though, I've just found a J-reg 205GT only a mile down the road & a £100 with a diesel 205 thrown in as well!

So, what was the spec on that, is it actually a 5 door version of the XS (TU3S) or just another TU3-A jobbie?

I looked everywhere and couldn't find the engine number tag, is it stamped anywhere else or any other way to tell for sure? The rectangle plate (held by a single rivet to the block) is intact but, I couldn't really make anything out or relate any of the numbers to engine codes?? It does have the Solex Z2 so I am hoping I'm on the right track.

Any more help would be massively appreciated!!

Thanks again!!

GeorgeXS
Cheers for the info dude. If I was thinking of using an XSi engine, it would be the whole thing but, run on carb (if possible).

Also though, I've just found a J-reg 205GT only a mile down the road & a £100 with a diesel 205 thrown in as well!

So, what was the spec on that, is it actually a 5 door version of the XS (TU3S) or just another TU3-A jobbie?

I looked everywhere and couldn't find the engine number tag, is it stamped anywhere else or any other way to tell for sure? The rectangle plate (held by a single rivet to the block) is intact but, I couldn't really make anything out or relate any of the numbers to engine codes?? It does have the Solex Z2 so I am hoping I'm on the right track.

Any more help would be massively appreciated!!

Thanks again!!

Yeah a GT is just a 5 door XS.

TU3S can also be known as K2A/K2B (dependant on year i think)

If is has the solex mind it probs is the real deal

Guest neilrocks
Yeah a GT is just a 5 door XS.

TU3S can also be known as K2A/K2B (dependant on year i think)

If is has the solex mind it probs is the real deal

Cheers G-Money!

Looks like I may have found a donor then!

Just waiting to hear back from the guy to see how much they actually want for it, I know it's been sat there at least 2years (but it did start first turn on a dead battery!) so they can't want much (I hope!).

Thanks again!

Just on a side note though; What would the 106 (TU3-K6B) XSi engine be like running on a single Solex Z2 carb with bigger jets? The cam looks pretty angry but, would that really matter if I don't care about the idle or does it make many more bad differences?

Guest neilrocks

Back on it after a while... and

Something troubling is afoot....

Recently a deep metal clonk noise has been disturbing me, it seemed to be coming from the front drivers corner but also seem to radiate through the whole bulkhead/firewall. It seems to be apparent when hitting bumps (could be any speed) and also cornering, but over the last day or two the situation has worsened, I'm not sure if it's linked.

Now when pulling away in either forward or reverse, there is some almighty noise and very noticeable movement in the engine bay area. A mate checked the engine etc while I drove it back and forth. He said it was as though the drive shafts were binding and the engine/gearbox would twist then something would "give" with a heavy clonk and the shafts would then rotate normally. I'm worried because I'm getting some very noticeable weaving and strange steering while on the road (pressure on one side, then a clonk and it seems to straighten to the middle) I'm not sure if the issues are linked.

I've stopped driving it now, it's all a bit worrying. I hoped there might be a quickish fix as I don't really want to put my donor engine in until it's finished and tested but looks like I might have to?

Cheers guys!

Guest neilrocks

Talking to a mechanic, he reckoned it could be the diff eating, either way the gearbox seems screwed so today bit the bullet!

Old engine out, new engine out of donor GT, changed some parts over, new gaskets tomorrow and the engine back in.. not bad in the time in my opinion!

If anyone wants my old TU3-A (K1G) for parts, it'll be on ebay at 99p by the weekend.

I'll also have the GT shell to get rid of if that's any good to anyone, if not I'll just scrap it & get £50, but might be a shame.

It also has the original Recaro seats & interior but they do need some love, might be good for someone though.

I had hoped to build the turbo system into the complete donor so my car would be off the road minimal time but looks like I'll have to build it as I go!

leeroy22

You cant run the 1.4 xsi on the solex as the top inlet manifold studs are too far apart

jackherer

This thread is several years old, the person that started it isn't even a member any more! :lol: