• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
GilesM

205 Gti 1990 Limited Edition Serial Numbers

GilesM

Can anyone help identify whether a 205 gti is actually a limited edition or not based on the serial number.

Does anyone have a full serial number list of the 600 limited edition 205 gti's made in 1990 in miami blue with full grey leather interior.

Cheers

Baz

They don't have serial numbers.

cybernck

Maybe he meant the chassis numbers.

2-Pugs

The limited edition sorrento green and miami blue 205 GTIs were all G or H registration, had grey carpet, power steering, full grey leather interior with red stitching, orange front indicators and the early style rear lights. Anything made later or with a slightly different spec (unless it has been modified) is not a limited edition.

There is no numbering of them, and I very much doubt that they will be sequential chassis numbers either. There is a very slim chance that there is a record of the 600 VINs somewhere in Peugeot's filing system, but I very much doubt it.

Edited by 2-Pugs

woodsy

Yeah i got rid of my full leather from mine few years ago and fitted 2 buckets for stripped out look.I so wish i hadnt now, seemed good idea when your younger

GilesM
The limited edition sorrento green and miami blue 205 GTIs were all G or H registration, had grey carpet, power steering, full grey leather interior with red stitching, orange front indicators and the early style rear lights. Anything made later or with a slightly different spec (unless it has been modified) is not a limited edition.

There is no numbering of them, and I very much doubt that they will be sequential chassis numbers either. There is a very slim chance that there is a record of the 600 VINs somewhere in Peugeot's filing system, but I very much doubt it.

Cheers for that. I've tried Peugeot who said they had no records of VIN number for the limited edition models so was just wondering if anyone knew if they were just giving a lazy answer rather than digging out their records.

Both mine have all of th e abve but the first one I got in Jersey (the 1.6) has 'Limited Edition' on it's registration document so I know this is definitely a limited edition but cannot se anything on the 1.9 that I bought a couple of year ago from London to confirm it is one of the oringal ones.

Do you know if there is anything to tell whether a UK registered one is a limited edition other than the points noted above? It was a G reg in miami blue and had all the bits lised above but surely someone could have added these to the car laer on so how can you be 100% certain of it's originality?

2-Pugs
Do you know if there is anything to tell whether a UK registered one is a limited edition other than the points noted above? It was a G reg in miami blue and had all the bits lised above but surely someone could have added these to the car laer on so how can you be 100% certain of it's originality?

Well it is possible of course that someone has gone to the effort of making a fake one. I've seen 1FMs that aren't 1FMs...now thats a lot of work to make a convincing fake!

I suppose the answer in your case is that Miami blue was not available as a standard colour back in 1990. You should be able to tell if it has been repainted, even if you can't a HPI will confirm if it's had a colour change. If it was Miami blue from new then it will be genuine.

2-Pugs
Both mine have all of th e abve but the first one I got in Jersey (the 1.6) has 'Limited Edition' on it's registration document so I know this is definitely a limited edition but cannot se anything on the 1.9 that I bought a couple of year ago from London to confirm it is one of the oringal ones.

As for what it says on the V5, I wouldn't read much into that. Other people on here will know better, regarding what it says on the V5 for one of those cars, but for example there are plenty of late 1.9 GTI's with 'ONE FM' on the V5, but funny enough none of the genuine 1FMs actually have that :lol:

Edited by 2-Pugs

Para

Ok, VIN numbers are not always the best option for recognising a version of GTI as I proved here few times. But it still might help, we could get year, engine, maybe even extras from VIN number so that might help.

You have to also supplied some pictures, outside, detailed interior, wheels. Any history ? Is the car oryginal ?

Miles

As Rob has said, If it's a G plate in Blue then it's 99.9% a ltd ed model as the colour becaame std for the 91 model year even thou it was released in late 1990 but these all had Black trim and Dash etc where the Ltd ed models where all the light Grey trim inside and out

GilesM
As Rob has said, If it's a G plate in Blue then it's 99.9% a ltd ed model as the colour becaame std for the 91 model year even thou it was released in late 1990 but these all had Black trim and Dash etc where the Ltd ed models where all the light Grey trim inside and out

Okay. thanks guys. At least this gives me more confidence that it is an original.

Will try and download some pictures once I've got everything reconditioned and put back together!!! Then it will be the 1.6's turn.

NFS

That's interesting. Mine is a 1990 g plate Miami blue. However I bought the car with no interior and the rear lights are phase 2 and I have white indicators. I will check is the rear lights are converted but is the front indecators easy swappable cheers

welshpug

That can still be correct, 1990 was the crossover period, where phase 1.5's had BE3 boxes and coils mounted on inlet manifolds.

ORB

The thing is, they are not that special anyway. They have full cow and that's about it really.

Daviewonder

The thing is, they are not that special anyway. They have full cow and that's about it really.

They sound like the words of someone who owns a non limited edition :P

• Like 1

NFS

What steering wheel would I have if it was a ltd edition? Cheers

Anthony

LE models were Phase 1.5's, so they would have a grey dashboard and grey leather steering wheel.

As has been said, if yours is a G plate and in original paint then it'll be an LE car - all the "regular" Miami's appeared later beginning on an H plate (some of the late LE models are also on an H reg)

Other clues are that the LE models had the earlier type header tank and sensor, whereas the later cars had the Phase 2 type tank/sensor.

Another giveaway is the colour, as the LE cars are a different shade of Miami to the later "regular" Miami's - the later cars are a much deeper shade.

NFS

You mean the metal type header tanks is a phase 2 one? I have a plastic white one.

welshpug

all header tanks are plastic, early are round, late are squarer, other than ABS which used round iirc.

• Like 1

Anthony

I can't speak for all ABS cars, but certainly the '92 GTi that I've got that originally had ABS has the normal Phase 2 tank, as have a couple of other ABS cars that I know of.

2-Pugs

NFS: Your car sounds like an LE given that it has a round header tank. As Anthony said, they were fitted on the phase 1.5 cars so it stacks up.

Regarding your rear lights, someone must have upgraded those at some point, as the newer style of rear lights did not appear until cars that carried a 'H' plate. Provided the car is all genuine of course, and not the victim of ringing or similiar.

Just to confirm ABS cars have the black square header tank. I don't think the ABS modulator unit will fit under the round header tank.

Edited by 2-Pugs

NFS

cheers guys, i have been thinking about the rear lights i have as i cannot see any signs of cutting of wires or anything like that but what i did see was a tin foil type of material on the back of the lenses. Now if I'm correct which I hope you lot can confirm I think I still have PH1 lights clusters with PH2 lenses. Here is what I'm light cluster looks like

PH1lightcluster_zps78c552f9.jpg

And I'm assuming this is what a PH 2 cluster looks like?

ph2lightcluster_zpse57ab428.jpg

If I'm correct the previous guy must have just put the lenses on as a crappy way of converting the lights, then again this was probably the same guy that added the sun strip, single wiper and cut the steering column up to remove the ignition barrel.

So in theory I will need to get orange front indicators, Ph1 rear lenses and full leather interior to make it back into an LE, what about Red Carpet? Can I keep that? cheers

Anthony

Yup, looks that way. FFS, how monumentally stupid are some people to think that is ever going to work?

Carpet, console and doorcards were all grey in the LE models, although of course you can keep the red - just depends whether you want it to be original or not.

NFS

are LE's worth more? it came wiht a 2.0 8v turbo engine in and is staying atm so i wont be 100% orginal. i think i will make the outside back to the orginal with the orange front indecators and ph1 rear lenses. cheers

Anthony

Not to any significant degree from what I've seen - maybe 10-20% more if they're unmolested and if the full leathers are in good order as that's really the main unique point of them given that the colour became standard on a Phase 2, but as a car they don't really seem to attract a premium when sold on eBay and the like. That's not to say that plenty of people don't try to attach a premium to them, but I don't see any evidence that they're actually selling for those prices.

Generally speaking, at the moment it's very early and very late cars, together with tidy, low mileage examples with history that are commanding a premium.