• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
davey205

Does Anyone Else Get Their Back Put Up When People Call It A Banger

SurGie

For me one of the best things about driving the 205 gti is how people get annoyed on how quick the 205 is and how there faces change when bends get involved.

The 205 gti, a wolf in lambs clothing.

ps, the 205 gti in a long, long lifetimes use produces less Co2 than what a new car does being made let alone driving them.

Edited by SurGie

Daviewonder

"wolf in wolf's clothing"

Edited by Daviewonder

Henry Yorke

I never get it in my CTI! People seem to like it and some of the mums in the school playground have said "will you be getting the sports car out when it gets warmer?". :huh: The kids love going to school in it and other kids stop and stare (appreciatively!) as they get out of their people carriers ;) Never got that with a tin top 205, so plus 1 for the skip!

JRL

My manager was telling everyone in the office he test drove the civic type R he was saying how quick it was and it would eat my 205 for breakfast. few weeks later he needed a lit home so I gave him hell! when he got out he was sweating. when the hippies want a lift give them one and drive it like a kamikaze like you really want to die! next day he had told everyone how fast my little pug was and how its faster than the type r. I was so proud.

on another occassion a colleague was behind me leaving work I put my foot down and didnt see him till next day at work. All he said was "my S3 isnt running right" you no the usual excuses. I said Im in a 23year old french car and your are in an 05 plate Audi when do they not run right?

I have more proud moments than embarrassments and enjoy being the underdog.

woo83

It always seems to be people with a fiesta or a saxo or some other god awful "street rat" (your never more than 4 ft away from one :huh: ) that give me the grief. Which leads me to believe it's either:

a. fear, there worried my 20 year old is better than there 2 year old car.

or

b. jealousy, they know it is. ;)

I love being the underdog

John

andyjstone

I get called a 'boy racer', which bearing in mind I'm 50 this year I take as a bit of a compliment :huh:

Tom Fenton

I couldn't give a toss in general, my 205 is mine and it is paid for. Probably 80% of it has been rebuilt or otherwise modifed by me. I like it. If they don't I couldn't give a hoot!

rescue dude

My 205 is fitted with twin Weber's so it's more of a popper than a banger. :huh:

dan_cole69

I get quite a lot of stick at work, but taking it in mind that we all have new suzuki company cars and these people that take the piss haven't bought a car in 10 years I dont see how they can judge. :huh: .

My girlfriends dad gives me loads of grief too. But he drives a 05 ford focus in silver (what a suprise!) so when we were out once and was looking for his car in a packed car park, I kept saying "is that your car?" he would respond "no" and I would return " oh, theres a lot of silver focus's isn't there?" - He didn't speak to me for the drive home, I sat in the car with the biggest grin pointing the other silver focus's or just silver fords all the way home. Then jumped into my laser green 205 and stated "I hope I dont see any other 205's, that would be embarrasing and chuckled lightly as I left!

Owning a 205 is a life choice like being gay or supporting a rubbish football team, people may not like it but they have to put up with it!

rescue dude
Owning a 205 is a life choice like being gay or supporting a rubbish football team, people may not like it but they have to put up with it!

Is there something your trying to tell us? :huh:

dan_cole69

yeah I support Boston United! :)

mikebullock84

i work in construction, so im faced with daily, (more like hourly) banter! Though i do have a reputation for the one taking the piss alot, the lads on site call me the 'Peugeot Pervert!'' all good fun though!

Ive had a golf v6 4motion for 2years, so now my dimma is on the road, im going to sell the golf what with the recession, i cant have 2 cars, so loads of friends see me on a big downgrade and going backwards in car status! I get chants of when you off to mcaccy ds?? but i laugh it off!! :)

MerlinGTI
Does Anyone Else Get Their Back Put Up When People Call It A Banger

Nope :) Other people smell.

large

I broke down the other day at my local petol station (starter motor). i was forced to ask the local boy racers for a push to bump it.

I was half expecting a bit of piss taking but to my suprise was asked if it was a gti, the badge had come off the side that they were looking at. :D .

The "yes it is" was met with some sort of excitement, its hard to tell with the youth of today. Still it gave me a warm feeling inside.

quagmire

I get mixed opinions about my 205.

A little scrote at work passed his test not long ago and drives a 1 litre Corsa (need I say more) and then calls my 205 an ugly piece of french s*it. :D

But then I had a couple of chavy looking teenage lads walk past it the other day who said it was sex on wheels which was the last thing I expected.

zebedy101

Just today I was having a debate with a work mate who loves his vauxhall calibra 2.5 v6 which went something along these lines

Him "My calibra will pull 60 in 7 seconds"

Me "My 205 could pull 7 secs all day long"

Him "Well I can top out at 130"

Me "My speedo broke at 140mph"

and from then on it got even more childish and I ended up slagging the fact that most vauxhalls handle like the titanic. In all fairness I enjoy the banter I get everyone has a preference on what they like and that's fair play I find the best thing to do is throw the keys at them and tell them to have a go. Recently a tecnician at work made a comment about it's only a 2.0 16v I said ok then have a go..... The reaction I got was "I can't believe you drive this thing everyday it's absolutely mental" my ego was thoroughly massaged and I was proud of the 205.

JRL

Great thread I now have some more good come backs ready for the focus and 318 ordinarys.

CaptainK

I've only ever had good comments on my 205. There are hardly any GTis in Exeter and I've been stopped a few times whilst filling up at fuel stations by people who just wanted to chat about the car. Have a quick chat and then explain its a 16v one and its rather quick. They always seem to be impressed.

My sister also had a go in it recently and shes converted too and loves driving it. I believe the morons that slag our cars off do it because they don't know anything about the 205s and just see an old car. If only they could drive one then they would be converted. :lol:

1.9er

At work I generally get good comments and "I Love your 205".Someone on my road actually stopped me just to tell me how he loves my car and that it's one of the classics.I think any person who has an appreciation of cars likes the 205 GTi......I also know that a little girl did call it a s*itbanger.but what does she know...she's only 12 :lol:

badj

Plenty of people I know slate them and say mine is a s**tter, but I've owned and driven at least 30-40 different makes and models in the last 2 years from trading previously, and although peugeots aren't top for build quality or certain aspects of engineering they are definately endearing.

I'm happy with my 205, and the fact that everyone else thinks that its crap makes it more fun to drive. Even with a 50hp (although running less I guess) engine in it shows up the chavs and chavettes in corsa which is funny. By the time I do the things I plan to it should have more zip more modern cars easily, which will be even more entertaining :lol:

I'm not one for caring about anyone elses opinion anyway, as its me who drives it - so if I'm happy, who cares?