• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
davey205

Does Anyone Else Get Their Back Put Up When People Call It A Banger

davey205

People at work are always making fun of me and my Peugeot I laugh along with them and pretend it doesn't bother me but i come over all defensive for the little green bugger B)

Anyone else get on the defensive or just let it go over their head?

Edited by davey205

Pugnut
People at work are always making fun of me and my Peugeot I laugh along with them and pretend it doesn't bother me but i come over all defensive for the little green bugger B)

Anyone else get on the defensive or just let it go over their head?

it's just jealousy that you can run and maintain a perfectly good car on a small budget and get immense enjoyment from it. The majority of people see cars as a status symbol and have to keep up with the Jones's by getting themselves up to the eyes in Debt on a car which they can barely afford.

Their bag of wank will have depreciated more that what your car is worth in total in the last year, but if it gives them a sense of superiority and justification of their purchase by making fun of you, then let them have their pound of flesh.

let them eat beans and line the pockets of the disgustingly greedy car dealers and manafacturers.

davey205

the latest thing was i hate to think what your carbon footprint is running that piece of s*it i just thought of Clarkson and his anti eco friendlyness

Paul_13

I just laugh at them, and say 'I get sexual satisfaction out of fixing a french piece of sh!t. Is your piss taking over with?'

Very strange looks and desertion follows...

I do get defensive yes, normally 'the modern cars are full of electrics and impossible to fix' comes out the box

Joshy

It depends on what words are used, and seriously they are said!

I understand that most people don't understand the "value" of my car (Most seem to think that a rust free straight 81k 16v 205 GTi is worth £400 B)), nor do they really seem to understand why I WANT to own my car, but they understand that I drive something that is older than me purely through choice, not because I cannot afford anything better, and that's what "matters" to me.

Insulting my car strictly speaking doesn't annoy me - One guy at work takes the piss out of my car all the time. "You've bought the wrong car made", "The engine conversion is stupid and pointless", "205s are slow", "Lift off oversteer is stupid" etc, but He used to run a few R5GTTs back in his youth, so he isn't an idiot when it comes down to old french hatch backs, he knows the 'value' and deep down he probably respects them (likewise I'm sure we deep down respect 5 turbos :D), we both have a laugh at each others expenses (My best reaction I got out of him so far was bringing up the fact that the 5 Turbo had OHVs). In complete contrast, One guy called my car a "scrappage banger" and I damn well wanted to clock the moron in the face. I don't know why, but having somebody my age belittle my pride and joy like that made me want to kill B) .

Edited by Joshy

S33GAV

Yes I bloody hate that, tossers!!

Pugnut
the latest thing was i hate to think what your carbon footprint is running that piece of s*it i just thought of Clarkson and his anti eco friendlyness

it takes a massive ammount of energy to build a car, no matter how economical they are. Its well know that as long as a car is in healthy condition, it's far more eco friendly to keep them running for as long as possible.

pugpete1108

i get it from some fecking northern monkey who drives a cheap jap piece of sh*te that has wheels so thin he couldn't manage to get his can up a small hill near work when it snowed.

he gets a car just as transport and then when it dies he gets a new (read old) one. his last one being a proton compact 1.3, so his opinion means sh*ite to me as does anyone elses for that matter.

and mine is probabaly the fastest car in my factory (apart from an nice rx7 some bloke has) even though its not running properly yet, thats all that matters to me.

ask them to describe the workings of the internal combustion engine and then watch them squirm thats usually my trick B)

davey205

Oh good its not just me then i know im quite a sensitive fellow, suppose i should expect to be taken the piss out of liking the Beatles having a comb across and speaking in a "posh" manner among other things haha !

EDIT: The car is just the icing on the cake for them

Edited by davey205

Pugnut
it takes a massive ammount of energy to build a car, no matter how economical they are. Its well know that as long as a car is in healthy condition, it's far more eco friendly to keep them running for as long as possible.

well a quick google doesn't really back up my statement, but nor does it dismiss it, but just remind people that if they were really that concerned about the enviroment they would walk or use public transport.

Al

swordfish210

People who make fun of my car usually end up sinking to the bottom of the ocean in mulitple bin liners...Dexter style B) On a serious note it does wind me up when people look at my 205 and say "why are you driving that old piece of french crap" I tend to reply with something along the lines of "because it makes me smile when i drive it, unlike the s*itbox that you drive"

205 for those in the know B)

Edited by swordfish210

Daviewonder

I think its either jealousy or they say it because they know they can get a reaction, I believe that if we genuinely did own old s*itters then people probably wouldn't say anything as then they'd assume we couldn't afford anything better and it would be out of order for them to take the piss.

AJA_GTi

I must admit that people really dont have a clue about what these cars are and they do look like old bangers to most 'sheeple' out there.

Driving a 205 gti for a week or two and I have noticed people give you very little respect in comparison to other cars that i have owned as most people think you are poor and can only afford a 22 year old french hatchback.

People dont let you filter in merging lanes and see you as something to be overtaken on duel carrageways (Untill you give it a bootfull and they dissapear from your rear view mirror)

All I can say to these people is b*llocks - when have their dull euroboxes given them a smile or a burst of adrenaline on a country lane. Probably never.

And, as said before, all for less than £1500 - I know where the smart money is B)

dare to be different and keep it polished I say! B)

badj

Thats where you reply:

"I hate to think what your carbon footprint is with all that bullsh** that comes out of your mouth"

Daviewonder
the latest thing was i hate to think what your carbon footprint is running that piece of s*it

You could always reply "Its nowhere near as big as the loan you had to get to buy that piece of s*it" B)

harryskid

We see it on rallys , some big fat t**t in a state of the art wrc type car who can't drive for toffee but has shed loads of money and look down their noses at guys like us in our 205s . Some times they get their noses rubbed in it when a guy in a rapid 205 gives them a run for their money but you can see they don't like it been beaten by an old banger. B****y T**ts.

Harryskid B)

Richie

In this day an age, it seems all about keeping up with the Jones's and having something German. People who know me, know i enjoy my old french rattlebox's and i don't get any grief anymore.

kate205gti

not unless i actually care about their opinion B) in which case theyre a mate and i just batter them into submission :D otherwise couldnt care less what some random with no taste thinks B)

alfer

All i have to do is walk in the garage with my Dad for the abuse to the car to start... but i have found ways to repent his cruelty to the french gokart, insult his ww2 jeeps which endlessly have engine problems.

oz.

I'll admit that I do enjoy driving a big german car down the motorway but tbh for A/Brod driving I much prefer something built in the early ninetys or earlier. People just dont understand the joys of driving

Pugnut
We see it on rallys , some big fat t**t in a state of the art wrc type car who can't drive for toffee but has shed loads of money and look down their noses at guys like us in our 205s . Some times they get their noses rubbed in it when a guy in a rapid 205 gives them a run for their money but you can see they don't like it been beaten by an old banger. B****y T**ts.

Harryskid B)

Its well known that money can't replace talent!

iamjackiechan

I laugh along with it because the fact of the matter is that mine does look abit like a banger with lots of scratches dents and some matt black, but oh how little they know about what is under the bonnet hahaha

shalmaneser

I love it when people try to take the piss out of my car. I couldn't give a s*it about the carbon footprint of not having a cat and 30mpg everywhere, I love the fact it's dangerous and will kill you in an instant.

Someone tried to tell me that my car was unsafe because of the lack of crash protection, I just told them that I was too cool for airbags, and only morons have crashes. Obviously it's not true, but people like this need to be wound up!

The carbon footprint thing is great. Don't try and justify it with all the 'the energy used to make a prius is more than keeping an old car running' etc etc, just tell them that someone else would have used the petrol anyway. That REALLY wound up some do gooder hippie at uni. I just stood there looking smug.

Grrr, hippies make me angry. Bloody Sussex Uni is full of 'em.

Not as angry as I made her though. She said that people who didn't care about the planet needed councilling. I told her than sometimes I just leave the engine running for fun because I like the sound.

hippies are so fun to wind up, sometimes its just too easy.

Send it right back at 'em, that's my tip.

Alfie

I think most folk I come across, admire my Pug and see it as an appreciating classic. I wouldn't listen to people that tried putting it down. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder they say!

mr_exe

I just tell them we have 2 of them and see the look at their faces then, and for the icing on the cake tell them we have a Renault and an Alfa as well.

In fairness I get very few negative comments from people, if they are number plate and badge snobs then they are not worth talking to in my view.

Edited by mr_exe