• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
cheesegrater

Welding Gas

cheesegrater

Hi, I don't suppose any one knows where I can get hold of a decent sized bottle or CO2 or Argon/CO2? I'm based in bucks.

I only need it for my project car and so far I've got through silly amounts of the disposables and can't see the benefit of renting one out for 28p a day and £150 down payment.

Any help would be appreciated,

Tom.

dumbiron

frendly with any local pubs ?? :)

cheesegrater

No :) that would have been the best bet I reckon though.

Cameron

Energas is also a good bet, my refill costs around £60 and monthly rental of £5. Beats the £5 per s*itty little bottle you're paying at the moment, especially when you're using large quantities.

And you don't really want to use CO2, pure argon is waaaay better for MIG welding.

Paul_13

We had a argosheild gas bottle at my mates in High Wycombe, we've got to get it filled again as someone left it on DOH! it's a 2M(ish) high bottle.

When we get it filled I suppose we may be able to rent it you, we have a MIG welder aswell.

Let me know what you think by PM mate sure we can sort something mate.

welshpug

I've used BOC's argoshield too, costs about £110 a year, £55 odd for the bottle rental and £55 odd for the gas fillup, that's for a 4 foot tall or so bottle so probably a bit less if you don't need as much.

lemmingzappa

Ah, another Aylesbury member :lol:

mr_exe

Ask at your local welding supplies maybe?

Cameron

Sorry, Energas was who I was with in the midlands! ^_^

I'm with Air Products now, Energas was a bit cheaper and very easy to set up an account.

cheesegrater
Ah, another Aylesbury member :lol:

Wooo! Currently mines in pieces but should be back soon. Cheers for the recommendations, I've emailed Adams gas as they seem quite reasonable see what they come back with. These non rentals look decent enough. I'm going to give a few of the places mention a bell tomorrow get some prices. Cheers Paul I'll let you know, 2metres could probably do me a life time ^_^

Is it possible that if I got hold of a bottle I could just take it somewhere and get it filled or does it not work like that?

Cheers,

Tom.

Paul_13

Doesn't work like that, you have to have an account in most places.

Cameron

Nope, and if you get hold of a branded bottle (BOC / Energas / Air Products) then they will just take it off you.

They don't get filled up at the dealers, you just return your old bottle and exchange it for a new one.

16v205

The link that Baz gave above is a great offer, its well worth a call to boc to see if its still being honoured, ignore the cut off date as I collected my bottle on the last day and there were people getting the deal after me. Yearly rent is £25 and you pay £35 for your first bottle of gas you take with you making it a £60 outlay on the day. When you empty the bottle a refill is only £35, price is held for 2 years.

I was with adams gas before boc but they have got really expensive, i was quoted £78 in total to refill/replace the current bottle i was renting off them. The boc bottle has 5 x greater capacity for less money.

You'll need a argon regulator at around £35 if youve been using disposables, and possibly a small brass adapter or adapter pipe depending on the bore of your original gas feed pipe. The argon regulator pipework is larger bore than most hobby welders have.

Rich

cheesegrater
The link that Baz gave above is a great offer, its well worth a call to boc to see if its still being honoured, ignore the cut off date as I collected my bottle on the last day and there were people getting the deal after me. Yearly rent is £25 and you pay £35 for your first bottle of gas you take with you making it a £60 outlay on the day. When you empty the bottle a refill is only £35, price is held for 2 years.

I was with adams gas before boc but they have got really expensive, i was quoted £78 in total to refill/replace the current bottle i was renting off them. The boc bottle has 5 x greater capacity for less money.

You'll need a argon regulator at around £35 if youve been using disposables, and possibly a small brass adapter or adapter pipe depending on the bore of your original gas feed pipe. The argon regulator pipework is larger bore than most hobby welders have.

Rich

I got a reply from Adams Gas:

Deposit for cylinder £50 fully refundable

Argon mix £25.99 plus vat1st delivery £22.97 plus vat

Future deliveries including collection of empty £35.74 plus vat

900mm x 150mm 9L bottle.

And also a guy from eBay:

Hi Tom yes not a problem. 6.35 kg Co2 in a recently refurbished cylinder £56.00 and you own the bottle. If you need it filling you can either get it filled locally or send it back and i'll exchange it for a full one. Carriage is £ 12.00

cheers Paul

Does that sound reasonable? Would the £35.74 + vat include a refilled bottle? I'm going to check out BOC when I'm done at uni.

Edited by cheesegrater

16v205

Thats the same size as i used to have and a similar cost, they had my details on record and knew what i ordered last time but came up with £78 inc vat to replace the empty cylinder with a full new one. I was expecting it to be around £40.

I would go for argon co2 if possible and not plain co2. Have a look on www.mig-welding.co.uk, lot of info on there.

Rich

wracing

argon/co2 mix is what you want something like argoshield light.

thanks

james